cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduce Yourself!

TeamGoodSam
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, and welcome to the Good Sam Community — we’re excited you’re here! Take this chance to say hello and tell us a bit about yourself.

Whether this is your first time here or if you’ve already jumped into the conversations, kick today off with a quick, friendly hello. It’s always great to run into familiar faces further down the road.

So what’s the inside scoop? Your RV of choice. Where you like to travel. Where you call home. Need an icebreaker? Tell us where you would go if you could RV anywhere in the world. And finally, be sure to welcome others as they join!

-Team Good Sam
Good to go since 1966
274 REPLIES 274

sarah-barah_SIL
Explorer
Explorer

Hello! I'm a receptionist at a Good Sam partner store, and I'm pursuing a dual major in mathematics and graphic design. 

If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go to the middle east with some family in a Jayco Precept. I've got a lot of family overseas! 

If you like organization and design, alongside innovating new ideas, let's partner up and make Good Sam and its partners a heartfelt experience for it's consumers. 

Happy New Year to all! 

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Welcome Joey hope you enjoy the forum.

But be aware you can't advertise here, we're here for sharing of ideas. @TeamGoodSam 

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Absolutely! Really don't want to throw any spam out into the community or anything like that. Just excited to join in the conversation and grow my knowledge! 🙂 

MidwayJoey
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hi! 

My name is Joey, I JUST am starting out at Midway Auto and RV in Montana (Sales). I loved camping with my Grandpa when I was younger and am very excited to start learning more about the finer details behind all the different styles of RVs. Mainly here to have a pulse on the community and, quite honestly, learn more from everyone here. 

On the plus side, I have access to a large inventory so if people are in need of something new, or even have tips on the industry, message me on here! 

gottashiner
Explorer
Explorer

Merry Christmas!  I haul a 4 horse gooseneck trailer with 14’ living quarters, so a big rig. I’m going to sell my trailer since I’m not having to haul my horse. I’ve thought about a Sprinter but I have a Ram Dually we’re not getting rid of so decided I don’t want another engine to deal with. Trying to decide between a truck camper or 5th wheel camper. I want easy. I’d be staying in it alone for 3-4 nights at a horse show & with my husband for 1-2 nights when we’re traveling. Any advice?  

Thru the years I have owned 4 truck campers before moving into a 5th wheel when I retired.   Now on my third 5th wheel but would go back to a truck camper in a heartbeat if the wife would agree!!   Apparently when a woman experiences counter space and closet space she is reluctant to give it up.     Truck campers are easy for many reasons.     You don't have to do much planning with a truck camper.    Any state or national park can accommodate you and there is no issue with length !     Many parks were constructed before people traveled with long tall trailers.    Generally I've found most private parks will find somewhere to put you up for a night.   Not so with a 5th wheel.    Traveling on narrow roads is no issue with a truck camper.  Switchbacks and steep curvy roads are not a problem.     Pulling a boat trailer or horse trailer is no issue.    I generally plan weeks ahead of a trip with my 5th wheel.   I research routes,  road conditions,  campground availability and all other aspects of traveling with a big rig.    We are reluctant to travel the back roads for fear of getting trapped.    Scenic pull offs are a big concern for fear of not being able to get in a out easily.    Thus we have missed some beautiful views in our travels.   Buying fuel is a major concern with a 5th wheel.    Most stations now have the pump lanes facing the building instead of being parallel to it.    This can cause major issues trying to get in and out in a limited space!   No problem with a truck camper.   Basically you drive like you do without the camper onboard or with a car.     Of course there is a downside to a truck camper.   Limited space is the number one issue for my wife but I like the ability to go anywhere without considering any restrictions except possibly height.    Truck campers in my opinion are profanely expensive considering they are much smaller,   have no axle or frame or brakes and must be easier to build.    Yet they cost as much as a 5th wheel !!     If you have a dually already you have the ability to carry a good size truck camper with no problem.    It's all about how you travel and how much pre planning you want to do.    We have changed to reserving a campsite for a few nights in an area we want to visit,  dropping off the 5th wheel,  then driving around for a few days site seeing the area.  It works well in a place like Grand Tetons or Glacier National Park where you can spend several days in one area and be entertained.    I'm very cautious about getting into an area I'm not familiar with while pulling the 5th wheel.    The truck campers we've owned were not a concern.   You can be spontaneous in your travels and exploring!!     

PyroGod
Explorer
Explorer

New owner just purchased a Class A 2014 Thor Hurricane. First long distance trip will be in February  Recently sold my wholesale fireworks business I have owned for 23 years.  Owning a RV is one of my last bucket list items.  Have seen all of the US except Pacific Northwest and Most of the eastern Seaboard.  Looking to do that. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of RV'ing. Unless you have experience as a bus or freight truck driving you may want to take some driver's lessons. Consider replacing all the "rubber" (rad hoses etc). Make sure the tires have not aged out. If the fridge can be run on propane make sure that the RV is level when ever you stop for more than 15 minutes. An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure!

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Hankhenry
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Hank here. I have a Rexhall Freightliner RV and the throttle wants to stick in high position.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II

We have a 31' Reflection Grand Design 5th wheel and enjoy traveling the US.   Our current tow vehicle is a 2021 F250 with the 7.3 Gasoline engine.    

Community Alumni
Not applicable

Hi folks, I'm an oldtimer from a long, long time ago from RV.net who just recently discovered that RV.net has moved over here, more or less. I was part of the NW Rally group and have been trying to find the members of that again but most of you don't seem to be here any more. Does anyone know what happened to Tradewinds (the original) or Bigdog (also the original)?   I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2019 Coachmen Mirada 32SS last month and have already put 3K miles on it. I never thought I'd give up that old Nomad trailer but here we are. Besides, she was so old, she was nearly old enough to drink and the Suburban I pulled it with hot on her heels. I still have both vehicles but I reserve those for Burning Man nowadays. There's NO way I'm taking this Mirada to Burning Man.  😄

So, if you remember who I was back then, we're out of the farming business (I raised sheep for forever) and are looking to part-time in our new rig. I never thought you could blast me away from the farm but here we are. Anyone going to Quartzsite this year? We're considering going.

To the rest of you, hi, I'm the Laura half of TomNLauraWA and live in western Washington on my soon-to-be-completely-shut-down farm. Tom doesn't post on here although he might someday. I'm a retired environmental chemist and he's a semi-retired software developer. We have a couple of cats who don't travel with us due to age or being semi-feral, I like to sew and do needlepoint (my drug of choice), and both of us enjoy longbow/recurve archery. I am very much into horses and finally lost my ancient 34 year old this past January (23) so I'm out of the horse business. I still have chickens and turkeys so my farm isn't shut down just yet. Both of us love to read and listen to music, and Tom likes going to the movies. Tom works at Burning Man (there's no way we'd go except for getting paid to do so) so we go to that every year. It gets amusing to watch all the different people there.

So, that's me/us in a nutshell.

Lance27a
Explorer
Explorer

Hi to all,  I'm Lance and becoming an active RVer with my new motorhome.  I'll have some questions from time to time seeking your experience and thoughts.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a portable tire air compressor?  I've learned to avoid poor quality China stuff and prefer quality over a few extra dollars.

Lance,  three very good brands are Porter-Cable, Dewald or Ridgid; but I would make sure no matter which brand you purchase that you purchase one that will do at least 150 PSI; first to make sure it will meet all your needs; and second to make sure you are purchasing a quality product that will hold sufficient air pressure in the tank while meeting your needs without having to overwork the compressor.  These are not very expensive and do not cost much more than the cheap junk that you buy from the discount stores.

Lance27a,

Be sure to get one that does 120 psi.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Fowler2765
Explorer
Explorer

Sad to see the clubs are not a priority with the company anymore. I rejoined to be active in a Club and seems they have just about closed down most of the Clubs. My parents were lifetime members and they had a great club that traveled and enjoyed the RV life.