cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduce Yourself!

TeamGoodSam
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, and welcome to the Good Sam Community — we’re excited you’re here! Take this chance to say hello and tell us a bit about yourself.

Whether this is your first time here or if you’ve already jumped into the conversations, kick today off with a quick, friendly hello. It’s always great to run into familiar faces further down the road.

So what’s the inside scoop? Your RV of choice. Where you like to travel. Where you call home. Need an icebreaker? Tell us where you would go if you could RV anywhere in the world. And finally, be sure to welcome others as they join!

-Team Good Sam
Good to go since 1966
353 REPLIES 353

Rolling-Rock
Explorer
Explorer

Greetings all! We've had a park model at the coast for years and decided we needed to start traveling. Decided a travel trailer would fit our needs. We took our time shopping and picking out a camper that suits our needs. We're taking delivery of it next week and excited to get started. Going to a nearby campground for our maiden journey. I've got a lot to learn and I can't wait to get started! 

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

I can't help whth places to stay as I'm way off on the west coast. But I've been reading this forum for 20 years and there are a few things I've learned. Be aware that RV's are very poorly insulated. So you definitely need power as the battery only gives you one maybe two days of heat in mild weather. And I hear that the propane which you need for the furnace only lasts a few days before needing a refill. So you need power to be able to run electric space heaters and you will need more than one.
I know that Pianotuna has had a lot of experience in this area so I would definitely listen to anything he has to say.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Thank you!  Yes agreed on all your points!  I knew for sure electricity source is key!  And would plan to have spare propane tanks. I'm just worried if I can't find an electrical source and DO have to park at a big-store-parking-lot, that I have to move the RV every 3 days or so just to get gas for the geni and propane for the heaters, etc.  I'm dedicated to the idea, but also nervous!  Plus I rather spend my monthly payments on my RV than wasting it on graduate housing.

BrianGomez1983
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hi RV Group!

I hope you had a great weekend! I am Brian, and I currently live in Northern NJ, but will be attending graduate school in Connecticut (University of Bridgeport) in... OMG 3 WEEKS! LOL (August 19th, 2024 is my first day).  I am a newbie with RV owning (I’ve rented a few Class C’s in the past, but I am looking to purchase a Class A by the end of the week), and I am struggling a bit with finding parking on/near campus for the RV.  I rather invest in an RV rather than waste it on dorms/housing with the school.  But lo and behold now comes the issue of where to park the RV, while paying minimal rent as possible (since I will also have some RV loan to pay while in school, as well as my tuition, as well as cost-of-living in general, etc).

I will solely be using the RV to sleep in at night and to study in.  But I probably won’t even start parking in Connecticut until the early winter (whenever the weather starts to get bad).  Otherwise, I plan on commuting everyday from NJ to CT (which is 2 hours each way).  But I want to have the option to crash in the RV if the weather is bad, or if I have exams and need to focus on studying and not commuting, etc.)

Straight to the point: does anyone know of anyone looking to rent their driveway or yard space for me to park on?  All I would need is access to electricity (which I’d also be happy to pay).  I would fill and dump at appropriate stations.  I looked into campsites, and they are more $$$ than the school housing.  My biggest concern is also winter.  I’d like to have access to electricity so I can plug in a heater to keep the RV pipes from freezing.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

I already posted on a several FB Marketplace pages, Craigslist, and posted on the NextDoor App.  I was actually directed to try here, RV.net.

Others advised to park at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc., just to get permission from management.  While I love this idea as well, I still need to solve the electricity issue, and worry about being plowed in if it snows.

I hope someone can help!  Thanks all!

Happy RV’ing,

Brian

Brian,

i use freecampsites.net to find places to stay. Power is a BIG issue. How cold does it get where you need to stay?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Thanks, Don!  I will check-out freecampsites.net! Also, a lot of the campsites close after Sept/Oct. I Google the temps, and it says average of 17F, with obviously lower temps randomly. 

Try to find a campground that allows monthly rates. I've boondocked at -34 F.

If you can find one--look on this site for "winter camping".

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

I will start Googling that now!  Thank you!  So far the only RV site I found charges more than it would cost for my housing at school, but I will keep searching!

billandkiti
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, guys.  We are Bill and Kiti.

Both retired and loving the RV life.  We have a completely redecorated Conquest Super C. Have done a lot of dry camping and been across the country several times.

talltimbersrv
Explorer
Explorer

Hi there,

I have been living at Tall Timbers RV Park in Tyler, Texas for 3 years and I noticed that their website is not listed on Good Sam. They are the best RV Park in Tyler, Texas for long-term stays due to their location and proximity to other businesses nearby. Their website is https://www.ttrv.org

dianemccann
Explorer
Explorer

Hi my name is Diane.  My husband Rick and I bought our first motor home 2024 Jayco, Alante 29 S. We both camped most of our lives but not in a motor home. The only thing I have done is back it into the side yard. It was pretty easy.  Hopefully, tomorrow Sunday will be the first time I drive it to a close by campground. My husband already looks like a pro when he drives it.  We live in CA.  I am very excited to join a group of RV'ers.

Travel-JB
Explorer
Explorer

Hello RVers, I am new to this forum but not to RVing.  My wife and I purchased a 2021 Thor Windsport.  Has anyone added a Thorton Chip to improve hp and mileage to your motorhome and if so, are you happy with it?

Hi from Vickie and Carl ! 
we just bought a ThorGemini class C! Been traveling close to home but now are ready to go across country ( or as far East as we can afford on SS! lol! 
many tips? 

Jackie-Blanche
Explorer
Explorer

Howdy y'all,

My name is Jackie and my gf is Blanche.  I'm an Army retiree and she just retired retired in April. We've just bought a Forest River Salem Cruise Lite and have taken it on a 3-day shake-down trip nearby. I'm hoping to attend Bluegrass festivals wherever they are held.  

Mrodrigue
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, 

my name is Michel and I am planning a trip to Palm Springs California this fall, leaving October 31, from Stamford Connecticut,  I am looking for ideas where to stop along the road in the best possible camping grounds and National parks etc...

Thanks for your comments.

Michel