cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,282 REPLIES 32,282

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
You certainly gotta love these dogs and their personalities. One of my buddies on the GSD List explained that Hannah is "tattling" when she gets me up when Shadow moves. If she is going to sleep, then everyone in the house has to be asleep. It's a German Shepherd thing. I'm headed back to the dog park today, hoping I can eventually tire her out, but I'm not too optimistic.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Buddy is walking around with a toy in his mouth whining wanting someone anyone, anybody, somebody to play with him. There is so much going on especially at night when folks and pets are supposed to be asleep. Buddy is running through the house playing, Peaches is running back and forth wanting to go outside. Suzie is growling at Buddy to leave her alone while Hobo hides in her kennel crate trying to avoid any kind of fall out from all the ruckus that is going on. I hide my head under the pillow trying to get some sleep, but between having to go to the bathroom and all the noise I just don't wake up refreshed.

I just pushed Buddy outside to get away from all the rough house playing and running back and forth. I will pay for this as he will come back inside wet and muddy.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. Now let me go into the closet, close the door and hide and get some sleep.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Hannah and Shadow just got back from the dog park. After an hour of running, Hannah is still full of energy. I don't know where she gets it, but I'd love to tap in.

Hannah wakes me up if Shadow needs to go outside in the middle of the night, which isn't often, but it happens. The problem is, Shadow will often get up in the middle of the night to reposition himself on his dog bed, or change beds altogether and, whenever he moves, Hannah tries to get me up.
Gary Shapiro
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Dashonthedash wrote:
Richard, hope you're not watching the Georgia game. It's pretty ugly.

I stopped watching and went into the bedroom and hung a shelf in Sue's closet

I thought the game was great! I am a class of '95 graduate of the University of Florida. I have never been to a Florida-Georgia game in Jacksonville. When there were redoing the stadium for the Jacksonville Jaguars, FL-GA played a home and home for 2 years while they worked on the stadium. I was able to see GA play FL in Gainesville in 1994. One of these years I will make it to Jacksonville to see the big game.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
det62 wrote:
Try this

When Sarah comes in after being outside with Anna, both are wound up and sort of look like the video except both dogs look like Buddy just roaring through the house.
Truck is at the shop getting spray in liner, hitch rails installed and wiring installed and tonneau cover. Now I need to clean up the head and A Frame and repaint them and have ready to install sometime after truck is back and I can get around.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

det62
Explorer
Explorer
Try this
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. This morning I thought I would take advantage of the extra hour to sleep in. Sue got up early letting the fur gang out, I snuggled in. Sue let the fur gang in and they came straight to the bed and started rousting me out from under the covers. Buddy got into the act and pulled the covers off me and then started licking me in the face and pulling at my hands and arms until I couldn't stand it any longer and got up.

So now all is right with the world as far as they are concerned. They are now waiting on me to take them for a walk. It is raining outside and supposed to rain all day. Okay I need to get moving so I will close wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried to send the video from my facebook page to my email address so I could down load it to photobucket and then post it on the Old Fella thread. The video was too large to send so I guess you will have to go to my facebook page to watch it, sorry.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:

I stopped watching and went into the bedroom and hung a shelf in Sue's closet

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farmerjon wrote:
Richard , I'm glad no one was hurt and you are OK, Was the car badly damaged?

It will take a new fender and front bumper to repair it.

Wife Sue

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Richard , I'm glad no one was hurt and you are OK, Was the car badly damaged?
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Sorry about your accident. On the brighter side look what I found for your Lincolns. If could do a clicky I would. This isn't too far from you.

http://www.gaaclassiccars.com/

It's an auction house for classic type cars in Greensboro.

Clickyhttp://www.gaaclassiccars.com/
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Gary Shapiro

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, sorry to hear about the accident, hope you're OK. As for the video, the simplest way to transfer from the phone to the computer is to enclose the video in an email to yourself. You can also download the photobucket app and upload the video directly from the phone to your photobucket library (or other photo site).
Gary Shapiro

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry about your accident. On the brighter side look what I found for your Lincolns. If could do a clicky I would. This isn't too far from you.

http://www.gaaclassiccars.com/

It's an auction house for classic type cars in Greensboro.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am