cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,293 REPLIES 32,293

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. We are iced in here in the Deep South and it is still coming down. Dixie and Suzie went out and refused to get off the porch and turned immediately to come back in the house. The temperature is at 32* and holding and being told there us more yet to come. I will have a fire going in just a little while so we will be nice and warm. I can't help but think of all the fur babies out there living as strays in this brutal weather. I am happy for those who have been rescued and being sheltered from the cold.

Church was canceled for today as the icy roads are dangerous and there is no need to put folks at risk trying to travel on icy roads. We are not going to get a break from the weather until tomorrow afternoon. So we will settle back, stay indoors and enjoy the day as much as possible.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It is cold and raining. The outside temperature is 41* right now, but is expected to drop below freezing during the day and then comes the sleet and snow. We have been told to expect between one to four inches while up above us it is going to be much more. I already have a fire in the fireplace and enough wood brought up to the house to last until Monday. Dixie and Suzie went out this morning but never left the covered part of the porch. There won't be any walking this morning so they will have to be let out from time to time so they can take care of business.

So, we will be sticking close to home today, staying inside out of the weather. Merry Christmas and I wish everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. Stay warm and safe.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watching the weather report yesterday a little more then 43% of the US is covered in snow right now. This is the most for this time of year since 2013.

I hope this is winter is not going to be like 2013. It was miserable cold with lots of snow.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Well we are being threatened with the snow word. Saturday through Monday. Accumulation will be from one inch to fifteen inches depending on where you are. Asheville, North Carolina is suppose to get the most as they are further north in the mountains. We are supposed to get one inch or a little more.

You know sometimes people surprise you in the worst way. One of the volunteers for Old Fella, for whatever reason abandoned a dog that was vetted and ready to go on the transport to New England this month. Don't know the details but a cry was put out on face book to be on the look out for this puppy. I hope they find it and it is unharmed.

Dixie, Suzie and Lizzie are well as is Sue. It isn't as cold this morning with the temperature is at 38*. I have hauled up extra wood for the fireplace so when the rain and sleet comes I won't have to trek out to the wood pile to bring in more wood.

I hope all is well with everyone and the Christmas season is being good to you. I love this time of the year with Christmas being here, not so much the cold weather, but that's a part of it so for that reason it's welcome.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. You look at a beautiful girl like Sasha and wonder how in the world did she become homeless. However from now on she will be blessed beyond measure with a wonderful forever home.

Well the forecast for us is snow this weekend and depending on which forecast you look at it could be a lot or a little. It was 22* here this morning a very cold start to another day. Yesterday we enjoyed our trip to the Biltmore Estates. Our daughter Ava went with us, or should I say we went with her. They have a new security check point since the last time we were there and you have to stand in a line outside to get into the Biltmore. It was a long line and the wait was about twenty minutes standing out in the cold and snow. We had lunch at the restaurant located at the Biltmore and the food was good, however the wait to be seated was forty-five minutes.

When we got home I started a fire in the fireplace and settled into my cozy chair and relaxed. There are no plans for today except to stay warm and dry. The fur babies are well, out for a walk with Sue. They really look forward to their walk each morning. I stopped the evening walk because by the time we eat and get ready it is dark. Ours is the only yard light until you get down to the end of the road so it is very dark.

Sue just got back and put her cold hands on my bare skin, boy it's cold out there. Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Sasha you wil love your new home.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just got home after spending a day in Asheville, North Carolina at the Biltmore Estates. The decorations are beautiful. It was snowing when we got there and it was still snowing when we left. The weather forecast is for the snow to come on down to us by this weekend and they are calling for some heavy accumulations in Western North Carolina down into the South Carolina upstate. Well I guess it is that time of the year and what could be better than snow in the Christmas season.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
She arrived yesterday. Say HI to Sasha

Congratulation Sasha to your new forever home. You are so blessed to have such wonderful parents. Beautiful, just beautiful:B

Wife Sue

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Such a pretty girl.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Hi Sasha! See you soon! ๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

dturm
She arrived yesterday. Say HI to Sasha

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We're kitten proofing the house, with a pair of them zooming about. This year, I will not be using any of the breakable ornaments. Instead of just the lower section being cat safe, the entire tree will contain only unbreakables. WLToo is also steadying the base with shot bags, and I'll put down a couple of blankets on the tile floor, so when (not if) the kittens climb the tree and/or attack the ornaments, there will be less chance of breakage due to the drop.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good afternoon everybody. It's been a laid back kind of day. We went to the Church's Young At Heart luncheon today and then came home. Sue is going to a Christmas get together tonight where they exchange Christmas ornaments. Tomorrow we will be going to Asheville, North Carolina with Ava to the Biltmore Estates. The high tomorrow in Asheville will be 34*. SO I will bundle up with a nice warm coat, scarf and gloves along with some insulated boots.

Right now there is a nice fire in the fireplace keeping things cozy and warm. Sue went for a walk with the girls behind the house and Dixie decided to take a swim, she loves the water. Suzie said no thank you.

Lizzie just broke a Christmas ornament that was hanging on the tree. It was one of the pretty ones too.

Okay I am going to close for now wishing everyone a blessed evening. Be sue to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, Saturday and Sunday Temp was low 60's. Today low 40s'rain and spitting snow.If we don't like the weather,wait 10 minutes and it will change.:):)
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. We got rain most of the weekend, Saturday was on the cold side and Sunday morning was cool but by the end of the day it warmed up to the mid 60's. This morning I heard on the weather report we can expect snow Saturday evening into Sunday morning. Well that's almost a week away and stuff happens so maybe we won't see snow at all.

This morning Dixie and Lizzie have been playing with each other. Lizzie runs and hides in the Christmas tree, then Dixie gives up the chase and comes back to the breakfast table where Lizzie will sneak up on Dixie and slap her tail and the chase is on. Meanwhile Suzie lays on her bed with her eyes shut trying to ignore the whole thing. I noticed yesterday Suzie's eyes are getting cloudy looking. The next time I take her to the vet I will have him look at her eyes to see what is going on. I know as dogs age their eyes get this way and most likely there is nothing that can be done, but I will wait and see. I look at Suzie and think of how the Old Fella story got started and how much is a huge part of that story. It's been thirteen years since I started the Old Fella Rescue, seems like a life time ago.

I hope all is well with everyone and you are looking forward to a great Christmas. I love this time of year, it brings out the kid in me. Dr. Doug and Sandy did you get your new fur baby? Love to see pictures when you can post some.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them, Merry Christmas and God bless.

Wife Sue