cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,293 REPLIES 32,293

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad t hear so much goodnews frm everyone, I am not doing well at all. Parkinson is doing me in, many bad days especially early mornings The mornings I cant;s seem to get going, THis morning I stayed in bed untiil 11:30 Had an APPOIMTMENT TO SEE THE THEROPIST ANd JUST COIULD n0t Make it. Daughter Allison and Son in Law Jeffery bought a new motorhome to take us campimg with them. its a class C thirty foot very nice and roomy. There would not be any long trips just week end outtings with us just tagging along with them. its hard for me to get get showered and dressed each morning. Just can't seem to get my feet in the right direction and keep my balance without falling over. Parkinson is hell to deal wthh. Would not wish this in anyone.just a like a baby in many respects. Except this baby is 160 pounds and has a stubborn mind of his own. IT was good while it lasted, but it us over.I feel sorry for Sue ahe has to deal with this every day. Just remember me as I was. WE have had some sun time together. LOve all of y0ou, best of friends forever. DIxie Flyer.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

dturm
So sorry Patty is feeling bad. Give her our best. Our granddaughter had a similar reaction to her second VX as well (lab tech in hospital so she was an early recipient). It lasted a couple of days.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Patty received second dose fo Pfizer yesterday. Today she is not feeling well. She has body aches, headache, and an upset stomach.

My appointment for second dose of Moderna is April 17th.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. DH and I now both have both sets of vax and are doing well. So sorry to hear Richard is having troubles! I hope he gets better! Hang in there, Richard, we're all pulling for you.

If any of you are in the tornado zones tonight (3/25) I hope you're doing OK!
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Had both of our shots and didn't get any side effects at all.

After springing for a new Cougar 5er last September we went out on Friday and traded our trusty 17 year old Ram 2500 for a 2019 RAM 2500 Bighorn. Waiting on getting spray in bed liner and hitch before setting out on our next trip at the end of April. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
That's super Dan. Our Son got the Moderna yesterday and no side effects other than normal arm stiffness after shot.

How is Patty doing - is she through the series?

Patty is doing good. She should be getting second shot this week. Thursday will be 21 days so we are expecting a text message to set up appointment.

Neither one of us had any side effects expect a little sore in the arm.

Vaccinations are really starting to pick up here in Ohio. Our son and Daughter in law get there first shots April 10th. With that we all should be fully immune by Memorial Day. :B
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I got my second Moderna last Tuesday. Was expecting bad side effects just from what I had been reading. Never happened. The next day I felt tired, so I took a nap. LOL Arm less sore with second than first. My sister, her husband and my 96-year old Mom didn't have reactions to the second Moderna shot either. So glad.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

dturm
That's super Dan. Our Son got the Moderna yesterday and no side effects other than normal arm stiffness after shot.

How is Patty doing - is she through the series?
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally received my first Covid shot today. I signed up for Pfizer but was switched to Moderna at last minute.
Just glad i was able to get one.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it snowed in Saint George, Utah this morning and my kids said the sun was out up in Salt City area. Weird weather. But it didn't stick to the ground. Later the sun came out so me and Rocky went on our afternoon walk and gave out several treats to the other fur kids in our neighborhood. I know most of the dogs by name but not to good at recalling their folks names.

Hi Richard, wishing good health.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Garland got her first Pfizer shot on Tuesday. I am going to get my first Pfizer shot tomorrow . . . . . . finally!๐Ÿ˜›

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear everyone doing ok.

Patty had her first shot last week. I go next Friday for first shot.
So we both should be good to go by end of April.

We have not spent time in the RV since last Labor Day. All of last year was spent at my Nieces property. Just to have a change of scenery once in a while.

This past Sunday our local hospital had a 24 hour period where they did not record any new case. That was the first time in a year.

Doug hopefully you are right the end is in sight.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
We both got our 2nd Pfizer shots last month and actually ate out last night at IHOP. This was our first meal out since this pandemic started. Our last trip in the MH was back in mid September to a wedding in Torrey, Utah on a friends beautiful country property with full hook ups. Now that we are shot up I would love to travel. Just waiting for the weather to get back to the 70's. Looking out the window beside my desk I can see my MH begging me to get "On the Road Again". You all take care and stay safe. My little Rocky Road says hi to all the other fur kids.

Keeping Richard in my prayers.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

dturm
We haven't been in our RV since the middle of October. That trip was to property that our son has in NW Illinois and we spent 2 weeks enjoying the change of season in the middle of a hilly field.

This has been the longest we have been without camping in FOREVER. When we were still working, we would have a couple of "warm" weekends where we took the RV to a local campground and veged out. We would normally take our vacation the end of Feb getting back early March. Since retirement, we've spent the entire winter in the RV avoiding the snow and cold.

We are both vaccinated (2 Pfizer vaccinations each) and one week from completing the time delay for our immune systems to totally respond. Our son and DIL are in the middle of their vaccinations. When complete we're going to have our Christmas dinner.

In May we have a trip in the RV scheduled.

The end is within sight, but it's going to take a little longer going along with the public health recommendations. All of you stay safe.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toolguy5 wrote:
Awful quite on here lately.

Yes, it has been quiet. I hope everyone is doing well. The wife and I have not been in the motorhome much lately as we are very busy with our jobs. We do have a weekend trip planned for the weekend of April 3rd and 4th up in Palm Harbor Florida to see a friend before he goes back north.

Our doggies are doing well, but getting older. Our two Papillons are going to be 11 years old in July. It's so hard to believe they are that old. Seems like we just got them.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)