cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

tandemsuit
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie,
I also donated, and I don't remember you soliciting any funds. Someone offered. If you want to keep Old Fellow, then do so! That way, we all can adopt him! (Vicariously, thru you).

DrBob
Explorer
Explorer
wcbass wrote:
Dixie Flyer,

I donated towards Old Fellow's vet bill. Nothing would thrill me more than to know he had a great life with you. I would never think you did all of this due to any selfish motives. Now, maybe I'm being selfish, but I want to see more pictures in the future.:) Plus, Old Fellow has already grabbed a piece of your heart! Just keep him & love him & give him a belly rub for me!

Same here. Why risk traumatizing him again?
2013 Newmar Ventana 3433
2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
....I would never want anyone to say that I got these donations and then kept Old Fellow for myself....
Richard,

That thought, I can honestly say, has never crossed my mind.

What do you think Old Fellow's hat size is? :W
I would say his hat size is about the same as your Shepherd's hat size.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

nifty250
Explorer
Explorer
Please do not feel that adopting Old Fellow yourself is in any way inappropriate. The money donated was to help Old Fellow get well and he is.

I do hope you will decide to adopt him yourself. It seems clear that you two have already formed a bond with each other. I suspect it would break your heart, and his, to let anyone else be his forever home.

Besides, if he stays with you it won't really be just you adopting him, it will be this whole forum!
2 dirt bike enthusiasts and 1 cool Weimaraner
2005 Teton Frontier Experience
1999 Volvo 610

Attack life! It's gonna kill you anyway. :C

wcbass
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer,

I donated towards Old Fellow's vet bill. Nothing would thrill me more than to know he had a great life with you. I would never think you did all of this due to any selfish motives. Now, maybe I'm being selfish, but I want to see more pictures in the future.:) Plus, Old Fellow has already grabbed a piece of your heart! Just keep him & love him & give him a belly rub for me!
2011 Cameo 35SB3 Fifth wheel
2015 Ford F350 4x4

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
....I would never want anyone to say that I got these donations and then kept Old Fellow for myself....
Richard,

That thought, I can honestly say, has never crossed my mind.

What do you think Old Fellow's hat size is? :W

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Nedra
Explorer
Explorer
I too have been following this but not posted. I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Some higher being brought you two together for a reason. It wasn't a coincidence!

It's apparent in all of your messages and most assuredly in the photos that there is a bond there than you cannot break. You need each other and perhaps the reason might not be clear now, but it will.

I don't think that you can or should put this guy up for adoption. He belongs with you. And perhaps you should still write that story for the newspaper but be sure the ending is about how this old fella has found his new "forever home"
with his new best friend! You two are going to build a very strong bond together. He knows what you have done for him and he will never forget!

Nedra
Alan & Nedra
Allie (Golden Retriever)
Shadow (Golden/Lab mix)
2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
2009 Ford Flex toad

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie, I am one person that donated. I would feel honored if you kept Old Fellow. Then you can continue to update all of us on him. I nor do I think anyone elses wants to pressure you into keeping him. But I really feel you and him would be much happier with each other. That my dear freind is JMHO.
Take care, do what you feel is best in your heart. God Bless. Please keep us posted on MR. Old Fellow durning this rough time ahead with the heart worm treatments.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Luizianna
Explorer
Explorer
Well I was waiting for payday to make my donation, but we getting company again this week...looks like Rita gonna knock at the door early tomorrow...I will get mine sent tho..if it's not needed for the vet, then by all means it should go to whoever adopts OldFella for expenses. But, I like happy endings too...and it's plain to see..he is YOUR new baby Dixie...Good Luck on whatever decision you make. The check will be in the mail when the post office opens back up!!!
Virgil, Linda & Katie, The Pampered Poodle
05 30` Cardinal LE
www.cardinalrvclub.org

SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A REWARD FOR FINDING FAULT

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer ... I think no one would feel used or abused if you kept Old Fellow. In fact, I think they'd see that as the best for all because their funds contributed to ensuring Old Fellow had a happy & secure home for the rest of his life. Guaranteed. If you adopt him out, it's not guaranteed.

PLUS ... if he lives with you he'll be able to go camping. And we all know how important camping is! He might even get the odd visit to his old stomping grounds!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me like a match made in heaven.

:B

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOTLDaddy wrote:
People, people, people. . . . . I agree that having Old Fellow and Richard stay together would be a fairy tale ending, but my goodness lets not pressure him into it.

He has done so much for Old Fellow already. I know Richard will find Old Fellow a good home, whether it's his or somebody else's.

I do like fairy tale endings, however. :W

I do need to hear from the people especially those who donated to Old Fellow's care. I would never want anyone to say that I got these donations and then kept Old Fellow for myself. I appreciate DOTLDaddy's concern about being pressured, but believe me it is not pressure but valued opinions from people that I value very much. But thanks DOTLDaddy for your concern.

Wife Sue

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
People, people, people. . . . . I agree that having Old Fellow and Richard stay together would be a fairy tale ending, but my goodness lets not pressure him into it.

He has done so much for Old Fellow already. I know Richard will find Old Fellow a good home, whether it's his or somebody else's.

I do like fairy tale endings, however. :W

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

MalteseMomma
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep him...he looks wonderful! Destiny has brought all of you together. There is a reason he has come into your life, and you have come into his.

He now trusts you. IMHO, I would not betray that trust after all that you have been through together. He will adapt and learn, and I know he appreciates the second chance you so generously gave him. I vote - KEEP HIM!
Bernice
Wayne
Two - Maltese (Victoria & Albert)
06 Newmar DSDP 4028
04 Honda Element Toad

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie, I wish I could take him but I can't. It would not be fare to you or him if someone else took him. I really feel that you should keep him. Go back and look at the pictures of you and him together, there is not a happy'r person or dog that I have seen. You got him out of the mess he was in gave him love and medical attention. He really loves you, and I think you love him. Everyone else has said what needs to be said. re read these posts they all make very good sense on you keeping him. When I read from were I left off yesterday, I am in tears and had to step away from the computer before I could give you my 2cents worth. If you take a poll I know it would be for you to keep Old Fellow. If Old Fellow could speak or you read his mind he would say he would want to stay with his NEW DAD. Good luck. God Bless.
Lynn and Mickey
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4