cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
Rich, what kind of dog food does Old Fella eat? Look and see if corn is listed, a lot of dogs are allergic to it and also to wheat. Does he have kibble or canned food? Meat or chicken should be first on the list of ingredients. A long time ago we had a beautiful collie with a very dry coat. A groomer told me to put a half-teaspoon of wheat germ oil on her food daily and she was like a different dog in a couple of weeks. Her itching stopped and she got so shiny.

I feed both Levi and Old Fella Kibble and Bits and early morning they each get can food. I leave the dry food out so they can eat as they feel like it.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Rich, what kind of dog food does Old Fella eat? Look and see if corn is listed, a lot of dogs are allergic to it and also to wheat. Does he have kibble or canned food? Meat or chicken should be first on the list of ingredients. A long time ago we had a beautiful collie with a very dry coat. A groomer told me to put a half-teaspoon of wheat germ oil on her food daily and she was like a different dog in a couple of weeks. Her itching stopped and she got so shiny.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was just informed by my DW that she is taking Levi, Old Fella and the old man {that's me} to Disney in Orlando FL. November 6-12. So when we leave you will have to wait for any updates until we get back. I will be sure and send you pictures of our trip, especially of Old Fella. He is going to be a traveling dog just like his brother Levi.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I copied this from the rally forum, thought some might find this interesting.

DOTLDaddy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I talked to Michelle Ward at ABC campground and made our reservation. According to her, they are about as excited about it as we are! They have contacted a local Springfield, MO. televison station and they plan on doing a news story about it. Also, the owner of the campground thinks there is a very good chance the television show "RV Today" will be there for the story.

This thing is really snowballing!!! Make your reservations!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Maj. Gretchen - 1 y.o. GSD - Special Forces/Seal/DOTL Cloudbusters
Gen. Missy - 12 y.o. GSD/Aussie - Special Forces/DOTL Cloudbusters
2004 Pioneer 21ts6

Semper Fido

Wife Sue

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the time we had returned from our epic trip to California, this thread was mighty long... LOL!! So I just now sat and read the entire, amazing, and heartwarming story!!!

This entire group deserves a huge HUG!!!!!!

Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

leftnoright
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,
Received the pictures - thanks a lot! I had a hard time convincing my husband those pictures were of the same dog. He doesn't go on this forum so I explained the entire story to him. You have done such an outstanding job with Old Fella. What a good guy you are!
Linda
Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)

mpj
Explorer
Explorer
A little Linatone will help the dry skin, and when he's allllll healthy except for the skin condition so you're sure he's stabilized, a thyroid test is probably in order.

Just a comment: We used to add Linatone to our poodles food(many years ago) because their skin was so dry and they really smelled like dogs when they got wet. If I remember, it di not have the smell of Fish Oil but seemed to accomplish the same thing. Their skin became less dry and after a few years we did not have to use it any more. I remember switching food from store brand to Science Diet (or something like that). My daughter has a big dog (part shepard, part????)on Thyroid meds and her skin is so much softer than before she was diagnosed. Also, no more dog odor. Thanks for listening.
mpj:)

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I remember seeing Old Fellow when we were leaving Modoc Campground that Monday during Labor Day and he was standing by the road as we drove by. Little did I know then what was about to happen and I wonder what he was thinking as we drove by and left him there?

Tonight as I sat on the couch watching a movie, he got up on the couch with me, laid his head in my lap, let out a little sigh and went to sleep. For two hours he didn't move.

Good night everybody.

Richard, guess what! Old Fella is your dog. Dogs will only do that to those they love. I guess Old Fella is in love....:W:W:W
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer,
Why not get a (for lack of better term) a wash tub and do his baths out in the fenced yard. That way he can shake off the water all he wants. The rinse process probably wouldn't be as convenient as it was but you can still do it without much trouble. Of course, it's getting a bit far into the Fall/Winter mode and it might not be practical for long but there's always the garage! :B
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember seeing Old Fellow when we were leaving Modoc Campground that Monday during Labor Day and he was standing by the road as we drove by. Little did I know then what was about to happen and I wonder what he was thinking as we drove by and left him there?

Tonight as I sat on the couch watching a movie, he got up on the couch with me, laid his head in my lap, let out a little sigh and went to sleep. For two hours he didn't move.

Good night everybody.

Wife Sue

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a weekend campout and came to check on this thread I am so glad I did.....LOVE the before and after pictures!! Old Fella you are looking GREAT!
:B

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
re itchy skin and baths: if he's smelly after a few days, it might not be allergies but instead, seborrhea which is pretty common in dogs that have been "living out." Next time he's in ask the vet about it, but it's probably pretty low on the vet's priority list to fix. In the meantime may I suggest a good dog anti itch shampoo. There are oatmeal shampoos on the market and available less expensively from omahavaccine.com; a shampoo containing salicylic acid will also help. A little Linatone will help the dry skin, and when he's allllll healthy except for the skin condition so you're sure he's stabilized, a thyroid test is probably in order. PM me if you want specific shampoo suggestions. Hugs to the old guy! I've had several dogs that had to have weekly baths for years, then they got over it; also had a female who had to have baths twice weekly for about a year, we finally got the thyroid AND diet arranged (she had to be on low fat food) and voila, lovely coat, no itch.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have mailed thank you cards and pictures to all that I had addresses for who donated to Old Fella's vet and boarding bill and to those who gave for his future needs.If anyone who donated did not receive a thank you card with a picture please PM me and let me know.

Dixie Flyer

Wife Sue

Pauls_lady
Explorer
Explorer
Another good remedy would be to give Old Fella fish oil. You can buy it at Trader Joe's or Costco. One per day should help with his allergies. I'm not a vet, so you might want to do a bit of online research, but we give Fish oil to our dogs and they are very healthy. I'll post pics someday when I learn how.

Btw - got the card and pics, Dixie - thank you thank you!

Pamela
Paul & Pamela
ds;20,dd;18,ds;13,ds;12
Lilly Belle & Hachi rescue Akita
Kobai; Rainbow Bridge 6/9/06 Always Loved
'01 Excursion V10
'05 Arctic Fox 27F;2nd year;CA Delta
'99 Taurus SHO
'00 BMW R1100 RT
'07 Expedition LT
'07 Honda Aero Motorcycle - The wife's ride!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vitamin E pill sounds good to me.

Wife Sue