cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,293 REPLIES 32,293

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue and I were camping at Laura S Walker State Park in Waycross, Georgia for a week while my mother was in the hospital. Each afternoon we watched a huge alligator cruise the banks of the lake looking for an evening meal. One evening we came in and watched a lady with two small dogs in the edge of the lake playing. I jumped out of the truck and ran down to the water yelling as loud as I could to get out of the water. The lady seemed offended at me for yelling at her and couldn't understand why I didn't want her and her dogs in the water. As she picked up her dogs and started to walk out of the lake her husband came toward me as if he wanted to hit me. It was then this huge alligator about sixteen feet long came charging out of the water. He weighed well over 1,200 pounds and could have made an easy meal out of her and the dogs.

She almost fainted after it was over and asked where the signs were warning people about the alligators, there were none and to my knowledge there still isn't any.

The Deep South is known for its alligators and snakes. The forest and swamp lands are beautiful but they are also deadly if you are not aware of the dangers. A dog to an alligator is like icing on the cake, nothing better and also easy prey. The lapping noise an animal makes drinking water is a dinner bell for a gator. They come into the bank under the water rising at the last second before grabbing its meal and there is nothing that can be done once those jaws lock onto something but sit back and watch as he goes into the death roll drowning its prey and then crushing it with those powerful jaws before swallowing it.

As a teen hunting the swamps with my dogs I have lost my share to the gators. It didn't make me like them at all. But I will never forget one night hunting in the Savannah River swamp when my Coon dogs came across two huge cats of the Cougar type that migrated up from Florida, lost both dogs that night. Their wounds were so bad they couldnโ€™t be saved.

I say all of this to mention to you not to leave your animals tied outside if they are not being watched, it only takes a minute for something to happen that could have been avoided. The woods here are full of predators looking for an opportunity for an easy meal.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

AGRNBRTSLOVE
Explorer
Explorer
Than for the alligator info, I would not have thought of that either. We did cross paths with a large snapping turtle in a private Pennsylvania campground. We were taking a walk around the campground and he came charging out of the pond and right up the banks at us! Those suckers are fast.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
I don't blame you Richard, about wanting Charlie to be scanned. Under the circumstances I would do the same thing. At least you will know one way or another and can stop wondering. Good Luck, Charlie belongs with you and Sue, and I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the info on gator's, I would have never thought of that neither.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
ljr wrote:
This probably a "dumb yankee" question but I'm going to be around the SE this winter and I've been wondering....Are 'gators a concern when dogs are playing in and around the water like that?

Gators will get a dog in a heart beat! Do not allow your dog near any water that has alligators. Alligators wait along the banks and can strike suddenly and without warning, you will not see them until it is too late. Don't walk your dog on a lease near water that has alligators, it has been known for alligators to pull dog and human into the water together.

Yup! And because I am a Yankee too, when I went to Florida to pick up my new puppy, and even before they gave me directions to their place they gave me a 10 minute rendition of how never to go near water with a dog! They take this pretty seriously down there. I quite honestly I would not have thought about.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie looks like he had the time of his life camping! I hope the scan does not turn up anything but I understand the need to do it.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I certainly understand why you need to have Charlie scanned, but there are lots of reasons he may have made it to the shelter. Perhaps his owner moved to a nursing home, or died. Perhaps his owner lost their job/home and had to move to an apt. that didn't allow dogs. Perhaps his owner remarried someone who couldn't have the dog due to allergies. There are lots of possible reasons why that are all valid.

We adopted our Molly when she was 6 months old. Again, she had lots of training and was a superb addition to our family. We often wonder what brought her to a shelter when she was clearly well loved, but we'll never know... We do know she was a gift to us!
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't your county shelter do that for all dogs that come in? That should be standard operating procedure, in my opinion. Now, it is likely that the person really did give Charlie up for valid reasons - maybe he was physically unable to care for him any more, or was moving to a smaller place where he could not have a dog, or perhaps was dying or was moving to a rest home, or in with family where he could not take the dog.

Seems to me there are a couple of things that need to be stressed to the shelter folks.
A. Scan for chips.
B. Get as much background info on the dog as possible. Is is good with kids, other pets, riding in cars, housebroken, etc? Is it trained? WHY are they giving it up? What medical problems are there?

Naturally if a dog is "dumped" you will not know these things, but if one is turned in....then you have to assume the owners want the dog to have a new home. And therefore should be willing to tell all they can about the dog to assist in proper placement.

Don't think the worst yet, Richard. But, chipping him might be the best way to put your mind at ease. IF, you cannot get further info on him, at least you will know that you are giving him a great home, regardless of his background and that is the most important thing.

And remember, Labs are like Shelties.....they are extremely easy to train. We used to say give a Lab or a Sheltie the obedience book, fan the pages for them, and there...they are trained!!!! Having a Lab own you is one of the great joys in life. And Charlie seems to be a great example of the best of the breed.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,

I understand you have to do this for your own peace of mind. Just because he was "not wanted" doesn't mean he wasn't well trained or even well treated. People's situations do change, and attitudes change as well, particularly when a dog becomes older. Many people unfortunately don't want to deal with an older dog's problems and possible expense, even though senior dogs give so much back. He could also have changed owners at some time.

Charlie is a wonderful dog. I know things will work out for the best. Good luck.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a terrible gut feeling about what I am about to do, but I feel I must. I am going to have Charlie scanned for a chip today. There is too much about this dog that screams he was at one time someone's valuable pet. He has had too much training to be the run of the mill Yellow Lab. Over the weekend I watched him as he retrieved objects thrown into the lake, his obsession with balls, being house broken and yes he will heel, sit and stay on command.

Sue and I laughed as he would dive to the bottom of the shallow water to get things off the bottom. If I had lost a dog like this I would like to know someone had found him. I don't like the thoughts of doing this, but I feel it is the right thing to do. I am convienced he is not from around here but has come to this area either because he got lost or stolen. The story that he was given up because the people didn't want him anymore just doesn't add up.

Wife Sue

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! What interesting information.

I think that's just about worth of a special thread in the Pet Forum. In all the years we have traveled with pets, I never thought of alligators, unless I saw one.

Good question!

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also let me add that the Coast line of North Carolina and South Carolina have their share of the reptiles also especially around rivers that empty into the ocean. I have seen alligators as far north as Virginia in the swamps along the coast. So any coast line along the Southern States beware in the swamp areas.

If you have any questions about alligators being in the area you are in, please ask someone.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
ljr wrote:
This probably a "dumb yankee" question but I'm going to be around the SE this winter and I've been wondering....

Are 'gators a concern when dogs are playing in and around the water like that?

Gators will get a dog in a heart beat! Do not allow your dog near any water that has alligators. Alligators wait along the banks and can strike suddenly and without warning, you will not see them until it is too late. Don't walk your dog on a lease near water that has alligators, it has been known for alligators to pull dog and human into the water together.

In Georgia especially in the Southern parts don't trust ponds, lakes or rivers as they will most likely have alligators in them. If you go to Laura S. Walker State Park in Waycross, Georgia be very, very, careful with your pets. There are campsites that are on the edge of the lake and leaving a pet tied out next to your camper is like dangling food before a starving animal.

Anything above the Atlanta, Georgia line is free from alligators. The large lakes like Clarks Hill Lake near Augusta is free from alligators, but once you come into the Augusta area and a line across the state from east to west from that point be on the look out.

Wife Sue

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
This probably a "dumb yankee" question but I'm going to be around the SE this winter and I've been wondering....

Are 'gators a concern when dogs are playing in and around the water like that?
Larry

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
I am so happy that you had a wonderful camping weekend. I think Charlie is good for Susie, she might learn from him.
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures. Looks like everyone's having a great time.
E.Texan