cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

dturm
Dan, don't worry about Sarah's barker. She's probably just deferring to the top dog. Megan was third in our pack and barked maybe a handful of times in 8 years. When she became the only dog she started adopting the role and barked more frequently. Now with her hearing mostly gone she is pretty quiet.

Glad to hear she's liking the snow, we're sending more your way, it's coming down now so it should be to you by tomorrow.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Im wondering Dan, if perhaps Sarah was barking and chasing the car that hit her and now associates that with barking??? Maybe?

Either way Im glad she is adjusting to her new home well.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
You are way off track. Not a book nor a movie but something National. You will be a ble to understand more towards the end of the month. When that comes, you will completely understand what is going on. :B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B
Sarah is getting to see hir first snow today as it started to snow. Sarah is getting quite used to going out in her coat and is not minding the Ohio weather. She and Anna seem to be starting to play a little outside. Sarah has still not barked. I forgot when we went to the vet to have her check Sarah's "barker" to see if it was broke. She can growl and also can sigh at time when she yawns. the shaking seems to be gone.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Missy120
Explorer
Explorer
campingshadow wrote:
Hmmmmmm......sure sounds like either a movie in the works or the book is finally going to press. Either one would be national news and great exposure for Old Fella.

Look what it did for Marley! I am currently reading the book Marley and Me and can't wait to see the movie. I swear I used to own Marleys cousin.....mine ate everything in sight.....including ripping off the blankets and sheets on the bed and eating a hole in the mattress....while we were in the next room!!!!!! But, Velvet was a gorgeous black lab with personality that would not quit. I have been hooked on Labs ever since.

That was a wonderful book, I read it this past summer and can't wait to see the movie!

Wouldn't it be great to have the same exposure for Old Fella?

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmmm......sure sounds like either a movie in the works or the book is finally going to press. Either one would be national news and great exposure for Old Fella.

Look what it did for Marley! I am currently reading the book Marley and Me and can't wait to see the movie. I swear I used to own Marleys cousin.....mine ate everything in sight.....including ripping off the blankets and sheets on the bed and eating a hole in the mattress....while we were in the next room!!!!!! But, Velvet was a gorgeous black lab with personality that would not quit. I have been hooked on Labs ever since.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Okay Richard, if I can't sleep tonight, Do I get to Blame you? :B:B

Merry Christmas everyone.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. I understand from my son he has a surprise for me this evening when we get together for our Christmas celebration, I wonder what it could be? Dan tells me Sarah is doing so good and adjusting to her new home. She had her stitches taken out last Friday from her surgery and her blood work came back Monday proving she is completely well. In just a few days now the FOOFS will be so greatly surprised with good news I know you are going to be pleased. I do hope some of you will join us next April and help us celebrate this great happening. The Old Fella Rally in Ohio next June should be exciting as well.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
When my dog Baxter was refusing food I didn't want to throw it away, so here's what I did.

I would prepare Baxter's food and offer it to him. If he wasn't interested after a few minutes, I'd give it to Wolfie.

Instead of preparing 2 bowls (1 for each), I'd just prepare one. If Baxter did eat alittle, then I'd add to it for Wolfie so that he got his full portion.

One thing I had to take into consideration was not letting Wolfie see Baxter getting offered food first, so I'd offer the food to Baxter where Wolfie couldn't see. I figured it didn't matter if Baxter saw Wolfie offered the food he didn't eat. I came up with this after preparing 2 bowls of food and then having to throw one away twice a day. It was tempting to give Wolfie the extra food, but he's already too fat!

Now, I don't have to worry about it anymore since Baxter is gone.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
You know who would be a perfect new owner for Bullet? A long-haul trucker! We have met many of them at rest stops who walk up to us with our little dogs and tell us how they traveled with a small buddy like that for 16 or 18 years or whatever, and how they miss him. With a trucker, Bullet would have the undivided attention of the man (preferably man, since that's who he's bonded with for his whole life) and get to sleep with him in the sleeper cab. Do you have any nice truck stops nearby where you could post a picture of Bullet and a brief description? Sounds like a match made in heaven to me.

"Do we have truck stops?" That's like asking if you have Ice cream in the middle of the desert. The only trucks that stop here are those that are broke or making a delivery. Bullet is use to a home environment and having his own space with a fenced back yard so he is protected from the boogie thing. He loves a soft warm lap to lie in and when he doesn't have that he likes his own bed. He is quiet and well mannered once he gets to know you, but very shy with strange people. He would make a wonderful pet for some retired couple with ocassional visits from the grandchildren.

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
You know who would be a perfect new owner for Bullet? A long-haul trucker! We have met many of them at rest stops who walk up to us with our little dogs and tell us how they traveled with a small buddy like that for 16 or 18 years or whatever, and how they miss him. With a trucker, Bullet would have the undivided attention of the man (preferably man, since that's who he's bonded with for his whole life) and get to sleep with him in the sleeper cab. Do you have any nice truck stops nearby where you could post a picture of Bullet and a brief description? Sounds like a match made in heaven to me.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

MNSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
We free feed Max....he'll snack a little in the morning before we leave for work and a little in the afternoon when I get home, but he doesn't really eat until 7:30-8 at night, sometimes later.
Smurf, SWMBO, and the RugRats
Max the Dog
2000 F250 V-10
2005 Cherokee Lite 285B

"How many days of vacation do I have left?"

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
When we first got Rocky he would pick at his food and often not eat when it was put out, so we let him set his schedule. We then noticed that he was most comfortable eating in his crate. So after the morning outing to the backyard he goes to his crate (on his own) and we put in the food. At first he still wouldn't eat but we would give him about 10-15 minutes and then take the food away. He learned pretty quickly to eat when fed! When he's done he goes back outside and usually does his 'thing' then, helping with the house training as well.
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem with Dash and Lily. Lily is a slow eater, and doesn't have much of an appetite first thing in the morning, so I have to watch them to make sure she has eaten all she wants before I take it away, since she often likes to go back to her food after visiting the yard. Dash gobbles his up quickly, and then looks for hers. Like Neal, Dash tends to gain weight easily, and will eat anything, which is not a good thing, especially at his age.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When I had issues with my newly adopted Scottish Terror, the animal behaviorist told me to set out the food (I feed 1/2, twice a day), give Bailey a reasonable time to eat, then pick it up. Don't put it out again till feeding time in the evening. I realize that Suzie seems to be having some other issues with Fella and Charlie not around, but I'm just telling you what worked for me. Now with two, Neal is like Peaches. . . he finishes his, then looks to Bailey's bowl. So I have to pick it up. It's funny, because if Bailey is done with what he wants, he doesn't care if Neal eats what's left. But Neal can't afford any more weight.

Good luck,

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Heidi is on free feed as the dry kibble is always available. I only need to fill the small bowl about twice a week. She eats very little food, yet has healthy stools at least twice a day. People think she is very well fed as she is quite stocky (but not fat at all). I used to worry that she was not eating enough, but if it is always there and she chooses not to eat, I guess she is following what her own body wants. Since she is very healthy, I suppose there is no need to fuss. (Wish I had so little interest in food!!)
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!