cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,300 REPLIES 32,300

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Chris and Pat, thank you for taking the time to come to Ohio for the Old Fella Rally. Also thank you to all the folks from Ohio who took the time to also come to the Rally. It was a really nice time and the weather was fairly good except for 1 day with some drizzle. Richard and Sue really enjoyed the scenery of the Amish communities and the folks working in the fields with horses.

At the Rally we had an auction that was a big success. Between donations and the auction, Richard was sent homeward with around $800 for the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue. I also have to give a great big pat on the back to Cindy and Roger for hosting the rally. It was so easy to assist with someone like them.

The next year Old Fella Rally is tentatively scheduled for the 3rd week in June in Branson Missouri. If there is someone willing to take on the task of hosting this please get ahold of Richard.

Hope everyone made it home safe and sound.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the service this morning, Richard. I always get very teary-eyed, then can't really say what I would like. Safe travels to all....
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
hmmmm...not sure why unless it is because I had signed onto facebook. If you go to facebook, you can search for Friends of Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
The page was there when I just checked now....
We had a great auction tonight with all proceeds going to the Old Fella animal rescue effort. Great group of people. Richard is a very eloquent speaker.
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

lviars50
Explorer
Explorer
Tried the link and it wouldnt work
Lois

chemisd wrote:
Click here for the link to the facebook page. You might have to be a facebook member to view it. I am pretty new at the facebook stuff!
Tom & Lois Viars
Vacation Rentals By Owner in Beautiful Smoky Mountains Tn
smokymtnrentals@yahoo.com
www.vrbo.com/207287
www.vrbo.com/209753

04 40FT Alfa See Ya 1614
Towing 2000 Suzuki Vitara
TTNLTR,C2C,RPI,PA,AOR,FMCA,GOODSAMS
AND THE BEST WALLY-WORLD

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sure has been peaceful today with a chance to lay back and catch your breath. It's a bit warmer today with the temp at 81*, but there is still a little coolness in the breeze. The fur babies seem to be enjoying themselves being close to their mom and dad. The campground is absolutely gorgeous, we would like to stay a few more days, but we have to get back home. We have really enjoyed the folks that have come to the Old Fella Rally and there is talk about having it in Branson next year at ABC campground the third week in June. So for those of you who would like to come let me know.

I will post pictures when I get home so you can see this very interesting area.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Click here for the link to the facebook page. You might have to be a facebook member to view it. I am pretty new at the facebook stuff!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ I don't think so....I think it was title "Friends of Old Fella"...I will look this morning....
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the facebook page you are referring to?

Old Fella Facebook link

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
We are at the Old Fella rally and heard that there is a facebook page for friends of Old Fella....I will check it out later but thought I'd mention it to those more savvy than I on the computer. I don't go on my facebook page too often.....
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Birthday Dash. Hi Gary. Haven't heard much from you lately. Hope everything is okay.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
thank you Cindy and Richard, I am really sorry that I missed the Rally and hopefully next year will be Branson again.

Happy Birthday to Dash and to Gary for taking such good care of his fur babies.

Have fun for me and hope to see you soon.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Today is a very special day: it is Dash's 10th Birthday. Dash has been feeling unusually frisky lately, and I believe it is largely due to the glucosamine (1600 mg) and chondroitin (1650 mg) supplements I have been giving him every day. I get them through a greyhound rescue group, and the proceeds go to help the hounds get treatment they need and find forever homes.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We made it to Evergreen yesterday, what a beautiful drive through West Virginia. The park is one of the nicest I have seen and very clean. Today it has been raining and is cool, what a difference to Georgia. We went to shopping this morning with Tod his wife and I believe its their grandaughter. What beautiful country this is and so different from anything I am used to.

I haven't taken any pictures yet so maybe tomnorrow. Mary I an so sorry you couldn't make it, we will miss you greatly.

Wife Sue

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought you all might enjoy this

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.

He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.
When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered. 'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.
Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveler asked.

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.

As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'
'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.'

'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.

'There should be a bowl by the pump.'
They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.

The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.

When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.
'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

det62
Explorer
Explorer
This morning....228/6.
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h