cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a scream, even for an ole eye witness of this process!

Never thought of a "WASHER" in this light before. What a blessing!

'Washing Clothes Recipe' -- imagine having a recipe for this ! ! !
Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe:

This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook -
with spelling errors and all.

WASHING CLOTHES

Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water

Sort things, make 3 piles
1 pile white,
1 pile colored,
1 pile work britches and rags.
To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.

Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.

Hang old rags on fence.

Spread tea towels on grass.

Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water. Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.
================================================

Paste this over your washer and dryer. Next time when you think things are bleak, read it again, kiss that washing machine and dryer, and give thanks. First thing each morning you should run and hug your washer and dryer, also your toilet---
(those two-holers used to get mighty cold!)

For you non-southerners - wrench means rinse.

AND WE THINK WE HAVE IT ROUGH

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

joang
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a squirrel fell out of the tree recently and she saw it but couldn't catch it, and is now patiently waiting for another one? When Boomer was a puppy, we went for a walk in the nearby park. Someone had used the pavilion for a party and thrown a pizza box into the trash, dropping a bunch of pizza crusts on the ground as they tried to fit the box into the trash can. Boomer grabbed a pizza crust and was the happiest dog in town until I wrestled it from her little puppy jaws. Even now, 4 years later, when we go to the park, she will make a bee line right for that trash can and checks it all over for wayward pizza crusts. There has never been another one in the 4 years since she met that first one, but she has to check *every time we go!*

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, you sure do have a way with words....
Hobo just has a different "personallity" It is great that you watch her and know her traits so that if something is "amiss" you can pick up on it. There is, or was SOMETHING in that tree that she is facinated with. Better the tree than something in the ground, that she has to DIG up......
You take such joy in your furbabies, and altho it is a little harder to take them ALL with you, they do bring a joy and reward to each day....Life is never dull when you are surrounded with their love. Helps keep things in perspective lol
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Very good Richard, I wish I could express my words as well as you do.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I look out the window into the back yard and there she is sitting staring up into the limbs and leaves of pecan tree, head up, eyes fixed, barely breathing, just fixed with that upward gaze, maybe hoping for something to fall from the sky? Suzie lies off in the distance looking at Hobo wondering if that is drool dripping from her mouth, ugh.

This started yesterday morning and hasnโ€™t stopped, I wonder if she is paralyzed in that position? Well maybe not since she has moved a time or two in her vigil to take a walk and to eat and drink some water. She did come inside last night to sleep. I looked at her often, okay maybe twice to make sure she was okay and not sitting in the middle of the room staring up at the ceiling. She is so funny and I have often believed she was mildly retarded as she is so different from any dog I have ever had. There are times she is so happy and then she becomes fearful of the smallest thing. She is always looking for something to grab her or hit her. When we walk she will always follow Mamaโ€™s lead and never vary from Mamaโ€™s actions. If Mama stops, Hobo stops, If Mama turns right, Hobo turns right. When we come to a street corner and I stop to wait for traffic Mama will sit followed by Hobo. Now try and get Hobo to sit on her own. She will lie down and curl up looking at you as if she is expecting to get walloped or something, but to get her to sit is a very hard task.

Now the sad thing is to watch her try and overcome some anxiety attack she is going through. She looks for somewhere to hide. Now Hobo is a very large dog and there are not many places in the house for her to get lost. She canโ€™t get under the bed, nor can she crawl under any of the furniture. There are no closets that she will go into, fearing someone will close the door locking her in, so she will go to her kennel crate and lay inside pretending she is invisible. The shades in the bedroom are usually closed during the summer months to help keep the heat out, so it makes a nice dark place for her to go and find solace. Maybe she is smarter than I think she is? How many of us will know when itโ€™s time to take a break and find a nice quiet place to find some peace and sense in this life? Maybe I could take some lessons from Hobo on how to cope with stress. After all she doesnโ€™t seem unhappy and enjoys her life here with us. She eats well and has a nice place to live and wonderful guardians to watch over her. All of her needs are met and she certainly knows she is loved. Gosh, why in the world would anyone feel sorry for Hobo? Move over Hobo, Iโ€™m coming in!!

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
OK thanks. It is a nice picture, but won't even say we hope to attend. Every time I say that something comes up last minute and we can't. So won't go there yet.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
silverdunes wrote:
Hoops wrote:
OK did I miss a picture???

I am wondering the same thing....where is the pic?

Look on the first page of the Old Fella Rally Branson 2010.

Old Fella Rally Branson, Mo June 16-20 2010

Wife Sue

silverdunes
Explorer
Explorer
Hoops wrote:

I am wondering the same thing....where is the pic?
Silverdunes
Outfitter Caribou, Silverado 2004
Silversand and 2 stay@homecats

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Richard that picture is really nice , you and Sue look very happy. What a great Honor!!!!!
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like Hobo could be a little OCD. LOL
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I beleive Hobo has lost it! She has been sitting under the large pecan tree in the back yard staring up into the branches for the past few hours. She didn't want to come inside this morning to eat and the ony way I lured her away was with the promise of a walk showing her the leash.

When we got back from our walk she immediately wanted back outside to take her spot under the tree and watch the squirrels run from limb to limb. I finally had to go get her to bring her in from the heat. Even Suzie was shaking her head and wondering what in the world is going on with her?

I just got a picture from Sue at ABC Campground taken at the awards ceremony in Albuguerque, NM, one of the best I have seen of the event. The rally is really shaping up already as we have about six to sign up already, that's great!

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
I'm in the process right now of evaluating whether I can make it.

Sue and I sure would love to see you and the fur gang. Friday evening or Sarurday evening we are going to schedule a cruise and dinner on the Branson Belle, I know you would enjoy that.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process right now of evaluating whether I can make it.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Gary, are you planning on coming to Branson for the Rally next June?

Old Fella Rally Branson, MO June 16-20 2010.

Wife Sue