cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,299 REPLIES 32,299

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is mother and babies

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
# 6 was born around noon today. That's about 18 hours of labor, how much longer for her to deliver all of them? Sent Richard pics. She is such a good girl.

Holy cow that Mama is going to be so tired with that long ordeal. I cannot even imagine going through 18 hours of delivery.

Looking forward to those pictures.
Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
# 6 was born around noon today. That's about 18 hours of labor, how much longer for her to deliver all of them? Sent Richard pics. She is such a good girl.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SGTJOE wrote:
Morning folks, Sandy had the pups late last night. When I left she had delivered 3 and they were doing good. I'll check this morning to see what the total was and get pics. I'll have to send them to Richard so he can post them, I just can't figure it out.

Good morning everyone and glad to hear the pups are being born and doing well. Just send the pictures my email and I will post them. claudedaniels@msn.com

Wife Sue

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Morning folks, Sandy had the pups late last night. When I left she had delivered 3 and they were doing good. I'll check this morning to see what the total was and get pics. I'll have to send them to Richard so he can post them, I just can't figure it out.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
SgtJoe, thanks to you and Pat and Al for rescuing Sandy and finding her a home. I hope the puppies also find homes when they arrive. There are sure good people on this Forum.

Thanks to all who wished Dash and me good luck in the award selection. If I do win, it will be accepted in honor of all the Animal Heroes everywhere, and in recognition of the special relationship we have with our animal companions.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
They took Sandy into a Vet to see if she had a chip. She doesn't. She has really taken to the mgr. It's for sure she prefers women over men. We stopped over to see her tonite and Pat came out to us and Sandy was whinning for her from the porch. They are going to keep her for sure until the pups are born, after that they will decide if they want to keep her forever. So, for now she has a caring home. I'll keep you all informed and perhaps some of you might want to adopt a pup. BTW, the place she was digging at was flooded today for irrigation, so we got her out of there just in time.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Sgt Joe
Thanks for sharing your story about Sandy. The spirit of Old Fella has lodged in our hearts thanks to Richard and Sue
Please keep us posted about Sandy \

Thanks for caring and sharing

Dan glad to hear Sarah is doing so well, Keep up the good care of your new hip....You will be doing the Texas Two Step by summer
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, what a great story. So you think the manager will keep her?

Dan so glad to hear your hip (and Sarah's hip) are doing so well. I am sure the cold weather does help.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
I wish it was 41 here, ๐Ÿ™‚

Very cool Gary, my fingers are crossed for Dash,Im chanting "Dash will win"......

Glad things are going good with you Dan, hip surgery can be very complicated sometimes, sounds like all is going to be well.

SGTJOE.......kuddos to you for helping Sandy and her pups to come, at least now they will have a fighting chance.

All is Good.......Happy New Year.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
dogdiva wrote:
Dan How are you doing ??? Bet you are not shovelling that snow yet...
How is Sarahs hip. Is she going to have surgery to correct it???

Thanks for asking, Hip is coming along fairly well. Have gone from a walker to a cane and around the house am starting to try not using it.
Sarah's hip is doing fine. After haviing it put back in 4 times, we just thought we would wait and see what happens. Talked to Dr. Doug and also local vet and they said that the initial dislocate is the time of pain. both doctors said the next step would be to have the hip ball cut off and let the muscle hold it in place. Well, that is what it is doing except we have not had the ball cut off. Sarah runs around, jumps off the porch and appears to be appy and pain free as she doesn't seem to show that the hip is out. Sarah appears to be acting as any healhy happy dog should act. We are thankful for that.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Kfancii
Explorer
Explorer
What a great story Sgt. Joe! Thanks so much for getting Sandy the care she needs! Now we just need pictures of her and those little pups when the arrive!!
Kelly
Wally - 9 Yr. Rescued Aussie/Newfie/Lab Mix
Cooper - 5 Yr. Old Rescued Aussie Mix
Jack - 5 Yr. Old Rescued Golden/Chow Mix
Lucy- 2 Yr. Old Rescued Border Collie Mix

28ft. Work&Play 5'er

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what makes this thread so wonderful. I do hope the puppies are okay when they come and they find forever homes. After the pups arrive and they are adopted consider having her spayed. Keep us posted about your new adventure, I look forward to hearing more.

Wife Sue

karen_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Sgt Joe thanks so much for helping this poor dog. I love reading stories of this nature. God bless Sandy and her coming pups may they all find loving and caring homes.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry it's so cold where most of you are, so I won't bore you with our current weather in Yuma, AZ. I do have a good story and would like to share with you all.
A few days ago I was walking my dogs along the canal road and noticed a large dog down the road loose. I turned around and walked back to the RV park with my little guys. We ran into a friend with his dogs and I told him about the dog. The next morning we saw the dog again. We took our dogs back to the rv's, and took some treats to the dog. She was really scared, but eventually she came a little closer so we could toss the treats to her. It appeared that she was digging a burrow to lay in and then we noticed that she was pregnant.
A lady walking by stopped and talked to the dog, so it became apparent that she trusted women over men. We went back and my friend Nat got his wife Linda and some dog food and a leash. We were able to get the leash on her but she did not want to leave the area. The park maintenance guy showed up with his cart and the dog climbed in when Linda did. So she was given a nice safe area, food, water and a carrier with blankets in the maint. shed. But not for long, as the park manager, Pat and her husband Al, took her in their trailer where it appears she may have found a forever home. The local SPCA was contacted to see if the dog has been reported lost, but they had no calls. She appears to be a Yellow Lab under two years and well taken care of so we will be looking for her owner. In the meantime the Park has adopted her and we are all waiting for the new arrivals.
I just wanted to share this with you all. Richard, prior to reading and following this thread I would not have been so willing to assist in this rescue, thank you for making me a more caring individual.
She didn't have a collar or any tattoos in her ears, we are looking for a wand to see if she is chipped. I'll keep you all posted when the pups arrive. The Yuma shelter only keeps strays 5 days and then they put them down, she isn't going there. We are calling her Sandy, after the RV park Arizonz Sands.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am