cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
32,294 REPLIES 32,294

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Brendon was sick in April. Diarrhea and then puking. They gave him a shot for his tummy and an antibiotic. Then on the way up here to Indiana, just six weeks later, he started with it again. I spent NINE hours in 2 pet ER's before I got him some help. That vet also gave him a shot for his tummy and then a priobiotic this time. She said she had seen multiple patients with this. So far he's been good. The first vet did change him to a prescription gastro food. Wishing the best for Zuzu.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am worried about ZuZu. She has been really sick. She started puking yesterday morning and was sick all day. She won't eat anything and when she drinks water, she pukes it up after 30 minutes. When we went to bed last night, she was really lethargic and would just lay in the backyard when I would take her out to do her business.

This morning she is slightly better. I was able to get her to eat a couple of small treats but she still doesn't feel well and is not herself. As far as I know, she hasn't puked today. I guess I will wait and see how she does today. If no better by tomorrow morning, she will make a trip to the vet.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Morning FOOFs

Monty and Pinto's blood work came back good. The vet says for their ages the blood work was great. ZuZu doesn't get her yearly checkup until sometime in November. I was worried about Monty because he drinks a lot of water and has to pee all the time. Between 4:30-5am every morning, I have to get up and take him out to do his business. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him so I guess he just likes to drink water. It is hot here in Florida but he spends most of his day inside in the AC. At 13 years old, he is still beautiful and gets around good.

Burch

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the heads up Burch!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scottiemom wrote:
I took a cruise with my son and his family in November last year. We left from Port Canaveral so I got to see Jetty Park from the water. It certainly looked nice.

My dog would be terrified though.

Dale

They have RV spots right on the channel but they only have water hookups (no sewer and electric). Dogs aren't allowed there, only in the interior campground are pets allowed.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I took a cruise with my son and his family in November last year. We left from Port Canaveral so I got to see Jetty Park from the water. It certainly looked nice.

My dog would be terrified though.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
MetalGator wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
I'm going to have to get over to Jetty park sometime. Still never been there. My neighbors go occasionally.
Dale

The sites at Jetty park are pretty average, but it's all about the location. You walk out the West side of the park and you are on the beach. You walk out the North side of the park and you are on the shipping Chanel. I love going to the park area by the Chanel and watching the cruise ships come and go.

Here is the Carnival Mardi Gras ship leaving port. 1130 feet long, 20 decks and carries 6500 passengers. It is Carnivals biggest ship. We usually get to see several ships come and go each day.

They keep making these ships bigger and bigger. We took a cruise back in 1995. Went onCarnivals Destiny ship. It was a brand new ship at the time. Donโ€™t remember exactly how big it was but it was over 3 football fields long.
A floating city.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scottiemom wrote:
I'm going to have to get over to Jetty park sometime. Still never been there. My neighbors go occasionally.
Dale

The sites at Jetty park are pretty average, but it's all about the location. You walk out the West side of the park and you are on the beach. You walk out the North side of the park and you are on the shipping Chanel. I love going to the park area by the Chanel and watching the cruise ships come and go.

Here is the Carnival Mardi Gras ship leaving port. 1130 feet long, 20 decks and carries 6500 passengers. It is Carnivals biggest ship. We usually get to see several ships come and go each day.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like a great time, Burch. I'm going to have to get over to Jetty park sometime. Still never been there. My neighbors go occasionally. I was in Amish country for the 4th. Hadn't planned to stay that long but had trouble finding a campground elsewhere for over the holiday. The park had several cancellations due to the air quality, so I got to stay put. Did a few more things I hadn't planned on. Brendon is not bothered by fireworks, but there weren't any in Amish country. So that was a win win. It was hot there too, so I was glad to have FHU's.

I'm in Maumee Bay State Park east of Toledo. It's a beautiful park. The campground is not on Lake Erie, but other parts are, so yesterday we went to the beach and I parked in the parking lot and ran the generator for Brendon. He wouldn't get out. I have decided he has agoraphobia. I got out and sat on a bench to soak up some Vitamin D. There was blue-green algae in the water, so no swimming.

Today we are traveling up the lake 32 miles to Sterling State Park in Michigan. It is right on the lake and actually it's on an island with a causeway leading over to it. I'm there for 3 nights. I hope there are no storms. After that, I think I'm going to Frankenmuth.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope everyone had a great 4th. We went to Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral for 5 days. The place was packed! We had a great time and the doggies stayed nice and cool in the motorhome. The first few days weren't bad but July 4th and 5th were really hot. I have a weather station at my house and it hit 95 degrees yesterday with high humidity.

ZuZu was a rock star again. She just loves people. When I walk her, she just wants to go up to every person she sees. Dog people really love her but you can always tell people who don't like dogs. When they see her getting all excited and start dancing, they turn away from her. She is so cute I don't see how anyone could not like her.

I have to take the boys (Monty and Pinto) for their yearly checkups on Saturday. I am a little worried about Monty. He drinks a lot of water and constantly needs to go out. I will talk to the vet about it on Saturday.

Burch

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toolguy5 wrote:
Burch we feel the same way. Pickles is our little Baby Girl. She has health issues that she will never recover from. Every dog we have had we get so attached to them. We love them as much as we love our children.

I am so sorry to hear about Pickles with her health issues. I don't have any children besides my "Fur Kids" so I know what you mean. I have been lucky so far with my old Papillon Monty. He is 13 and still going strong. He looks great and gets around like he is 5 years old.

ZuZu seems to be pretty much back to normal now. She is harassing her little brother Pinto and she is chewing a chewy.

Burch

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Burch we feel the same way. Pickles is our little Baby Girl. She has health issues that she will never recover from. Every dog we have had we get so attached to them. We love them as much as we love our children.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toolguy5 wrote:
Pickles did fine on the trip but when we got back home she is really tired. She is sleeping a lot, very deep sleep. Her appetite for her regular food has diminished. Donโ€™t know if all of this is related to her issues or what.
We are watching her very closely.

I hope Pickles gets better. My little Pomeranian ZuZu is sick. She has an upset stomach. Started yesterday afternoon. She puked 3 or 4 times and doesn't want to eat anything. She puked one time overnight and when I took her out this morning, she wouldn't eat her treat. I am working in Tampa today (about an hour drive from home) but I am going to try and finish up so I can leave at lunchtime to go home and check on her. I hate it when one of my dogs isn't feeling well.

Burch

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning FOOFโ€™s. Hope everyone is doing well.

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Pigeon Forge, TN. We stayed at the KOA by Dollywood. Closer to all the action.

The trip brought back a lot of good memories. We really miss the Rallyโ€™s. We saw a few bears, Elk, Deer. The most animals we ever saw during all of our visits.

A lot has changed since our last visit there.

Pickles did fine on the trip but when we got back home she is really tired. She is sleeping a lot, very deep sleep. Her appetite for her regular food has diminished. Donโ€™t know if all of this is related to her issues or what.
We are watching her very closely.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

riah
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
Hello FOOFs

Tuesday was a big day. My Papillon Monty had his 13th birthday. I always thought he would go first (before Lola who died last November. His sister). He is way too big to be a Papillon. He is very handsome and still looks and gets along great. I love him so much! He is my buddy.

Here is a picture of the birthday boy (with his little brother Pinto) from this past weekend. We took a weekend trip to St. Pete.

Burch

HAPPY 13th BIRTHDAY TO MONTY!!!