cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
He looks exactly like my son's Lab. Jackson is nine, but the face is almost the same. They are such gentle dogs.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
How could you resist that look, such a gorgeous dog.
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uppercrust wrote:
What a beautiful dog Richard.

I watched the inmates work with him on Wednesday and he is so laid back, about ten years old I think.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
What a beautiful dog Richard.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am going to find out what his story is and why he has come to the city animal shelter?

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard and Sue
We all know how heart wrenching is is for you to meet each day with out Fellas needs to take care of. You have brought to all of us the beautiful words and memories of life with Fella, and I truely believe that it is GOds will that Fella came to you and you shared and inspired us all. You and Fella will always be HEROS
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
I just heard the sad news today. Please accept my condolence for your loss.

I still remember reading the post when Dixie Flyer & Old Fella's 1st encounter. His passing is like I've lost a friend but he'll be always in our heart. Take care!
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for providing Old Fella with a wonderful retirement home. Although the time with these older guys are short, they sure are full of quality. I am sure my sweet Axel and my other beloved pets have greeted Old Fella at the Rainbow Bridge.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I look back on these pictures and think of all the wonderful times we shared together

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes we are in such a hurry or so involved with our own set of problems we miss some of the blessings of life. I feel this was the case in the life of Old Fella. So many campers had the opportunity to take him home with them but for one reason or another they left the campground without him thinking the hand out of food they gave him was enough.

For five years he waited for the family who would take him home with them and make him a part of their life. There were times he was misunderstood, I guess that is why someone shot him with bird shot from a shot gun. I guess that is why he was left to suffer from the heat and the cold, starving for food and affection. Then there were the ticks and fleas he had to put up with along with the injured paw that was cut off by the leg hold trap. Then there were his teeth that were broken off and worn down as he gnawed his way out of the steel jaws of the trap that held him for four or five days without food and water. There he lay in the jaws of pain chewing away at the foot until he was able to free himself. His life was one of misery and neglect and no one saw any value in this old black dog, at least not enough to try and make his life better.

Then one day a family came along that saw something of value, something precious as life itself and saved this old dog and gave him not only a home, but a place in their hearts. Then this old dog found a place in the hearts of thousands of people all across these United States. Today in his memory Old Fellow will be honored by those who have stopped to remember him as the sweet old dog that changed a community and also touched the lives of others of his kind. No longer will anyone who knows the Old Fella story look at another old stray dog the same as they have in the past. Compassion is the word I would use to describe Old Fellaโ€™s second chance at life, compassion that reaches out beyond understanding and reasoning to give life another chance at happiness. Donโ€™t pass up the blessings in life just because what you see isnโ€™t beautiful on the outside, because what may be on the inside could be the greatest treasure you will ever find.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SPRey wrote:
Richard...another nomination for Animal Planet Hero of the Year.

Thank you.

Wife Sue