cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful update and great news. Prayers from Long Island that he continues to thirve and be strong for all the medical treatments.

We had a very sick pup that we adopted (B.A. = before Axel) that was hospitalized for a very long time. The vet and the staff encouraged us to visit "to give him a reason to live". He did and continued to fight all his life all the alignments and co-conditions.

You are giving Mr. Old Fellow a new lease on life and I bet he sure is loving the love and attention he so deserves. I am so happy to hear that he is becoming part of your family.

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer, Once again you made my day. What wonderful news. Its a great feeling to know Old Fellow has a forever home with people who love him...Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

RommiesMom
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
He has gotten so use to the A/C he wants to get back inside as soon as he has done his thing and then waits to get his treat for being a good boy.

Yeah.

Powdie, our cat who was a 'street kitty' as a kitten, and Rommie, who was found by the Humane Society on the street as a stray, are both like this if the weather is at all unpleasant.

Their attitude is, "I didn't leave nuthin' out there, so I don't need to go back out." Our other animals, many of whom have been rescues in one way or another, but not strays, are more curious about the outdoors.

It's worse for Rommie, who, as a dog, has to go outside sometimes. If it's raining, Miss Desert Dog has perfected the art of the 3 second pee, if it's hot, she wants back in the house immediately. She didn't even particularly enjoy our 2 tent camping weekends. She LOVED riding in the car and taking hikes, but when it got hot during the day or an ant bit her, she was right at the back of the car wanting in her crate and wondering why we weren't going HOME where it was comfortable!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
As of this morning Dr. Gradous' office and the kennel had received $540.00. You folks have done a great job! This leaves $96.00 to go towards his board this week at $13.00 per day. I was told that Old Fellow could come home one week from today. I received a PM today saying that $25.00 is in the mail. In eight weeks Old Fellow will need to have another visit to the vet to see about something that has developed since he has been there. I don't expect that to be serious or expensive.

He was so full of it today, for the first time I saw some play in the old fellow and my how he has taken to the ladies. I may have a hard time getting him to leave. I am amazed that he has not messed up his pen area and waits to go outside to do his business. He has gotten so use to the A/C he wants to get back inside as soon as he has done his thing and then waits to get his treat for being a good boy. That dog is buried so deep in my heart that I will have hard time getting over him should anything happen with his heart worm treatment. He is such a gentleman and is more attentive to things going on around him. He will have to learn to come when he is called as he just ignores me right now, but he will learn as time goes on.

Well that is all for now. I will talk with you later.

Dixie Flyer

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

nifty250
Explorer
Explorer
WooHoo! What wonderful news!

General Jax says to tell Old Fellow "The DOTL can always use another recruit. Old Fellow's survival skills would be a welcome additon to the team. Semper Fido!"
2 dirt bike enthusiasts and 1 cool Weimaraner
2005 Teton Frontier Experience
1999 Volvo 610

Attack life! It's gonna kill you anyway. :C

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
WELL - bh105 has filled in some of "Old Fellow"s years of mystery. Pasco and I are so happy that Old Fellow has a good home with DixieFlyer.
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I have been reading this and it is such a wonderful story with such a happy ending, but am thinking that it should not be the end!! How about contributing to the Humane Society, local shelters, anything that involves rescue of animals and all in the name of "Old Fellow." Perhaps we could start a thread where we record it or have private messages sent to one of us who can total up what is being done simply because one person had the compassion to inconvenience himself to help a "lessor creature."
"Whatsoever you do to the least of these, you do unto me." (God created these animals also)
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

mpj
Explorer
Explorer
"If someone is reading this who thinks that leaving an unwanted pet in a campground is ok, it's not. First of all, it's illegal. These dogs become sick, victims to coyotes, run over, or starve slowly. it is a horrible way to spend the rest of your life, and I have seen all scenarios first hand when working on that project. There are rescue groups that will help place pets that need new homes, so please don't leave them in the woods. If you do not want to care for a pet, do not get one"

To bh105 from a campground owner:
We agree with you. We have had several pets abandoned / dumped on our property over the years. We couldn't keep them all. We found homes for the ones we could, but we had to let the animal shelter take more than we wanted (one is one too many).

Our congratulations go to Old Fella for getting such caring and loving "parents". At 10 or 11 he may not have many years left, but they will definitely be happy ones! And thanks for keeping us posted.
mpj:)

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
....Old Fellow and I want to know about the DOTL. So if you will explain it to us, Old fellow just might go for it.
Richard,

DOTL = Defenders Of The Light

An evergrowing group of RV.NET superpets who are pledged to fight Evil and Darkness wherever and whenever it raises it's ugly head.
Here is a link to a couple of the most recent sagas:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14944249/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15448315/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

There have been four DOTL sagas written by nifty250 (Lorni), myself and others over the last year or so. In each case the DOTL was able to successfully save the world from Evil and Darkness. Here is the newest group roster I have of the DOTL. There have been some additions since:

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Like I said earlier, I like fairy tale endings! ๐Ÿ™‚ Like everybody else in this topic, this is the ending I was really hoping for!

What? You wanna know what? Oh shoot, hang on a minute Richard. Missy and Gretchen are interupting me. :R
OK, yes, it's an excellent idea girls. Right . . . . I'll ask right now.
I'm back now Richard. The girls want me to ask you if it OK if they invite Old Fellow to join the DOTL. It's a great idea, but I told them you two are a little busy right now with the vet and all. They're kinda anxious though.

Old Fellow and I want to know about the DOTL. So if you will explain it to us, Old fellow just might go for it.

Wife Sue

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Like I said earlier, I like fairy tale endings! ๐Ÿ™‚ Like everybody else in this topic, this is the ending I was really hoping for!

What? You wanna know what? Oh shoot, hang on a minute Richard. Missy and Gretchen are interupting me. :R
OK, yes, it's an excellent idea girls. Right . . . . I'll ask right now.
I'm back now Richard. The girls want me to ask you if it OK if they invite Old Fellow to join the DOTL. It's a great idea, but I told them you two are a little busy right now with the vet and all. They're kinda anxious though.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer,

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy.

You know Dixie Dew, the mighty Schnauzer, has a crush on him. She thinks he is one handsome fellow. Now that he has a home she is thrilled.

Me too.

DIXIESMAMA

bh105
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank you for saving this dog. It was ananswer to my prayers. Dr. Gradous is my vet also, and he is the best we have in this area. I use to be a park ranger at that lake, and tried for over a year to actually find and rescue "Blackie" as he was known to us. He was very reclusive and I am no longer employeed there, but I am so happy to hear that he was saved. In the short time I worked there I took many dogs that had been abandoned on that lake and found them homes, with the help of a few other rangers.

I am so glad to see that so many of you campers are all for helping those who can't help themselves. That was the worse part of being a park ranger, knowing that I could not save them all.

If someone is reading this who thinks that leaving an unwanted pet in a campground is ok, it's not. First of all, it's illegal. These dogs become sick, victims to coyotes, run over, or starve slowly. it is a horrible way to spend the rest of your life, and I have seen all scenarios first hand when working on that project. There are rescue groups that will help place pets that need new homes, so please don't leave them in the woods. If you do not want to care for a pet, do not get one.

Now that I'm off my soapbox, thank you once again for giving this dog some love and joy in this world.

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
What great news!!!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Modocmohawk wrote:
:C Well, Rich thanks to you and your wife we will all rest better knowing you and your great wife are going to keep Old Fellow, and I know he will do just fine, as I said before, he chose you!!!!

We plan to visit Modoc campground more often so you will be seeing all of us. I want to get him use to traveling with us by making short little day trips at first. When I think he is ready he will go camping with us.

Wife Sue