cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,275 REPLIES 32,275

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
MetalGator wrote:
Richard

Our football teams sure didn't do very well this weekend. I was so bummed out after the game I went to bed early and didn't really watch any NFL football on Sunday.

Burch

The only hope I have for a good season for Georgia is if the other teams don't show up.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Richard

Our football teams sure didn't do very well this weekend. I was so bummed out after the game I went to bed early and didn't really watch any NFL football on Sunday.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Metalgator how is you fur baby?

Thanks for asking. He is still doing the same. He is scheduled for a scan on his leg a week from tomorrow. I have to drop him off by 9am and then they sedate him and do some type of scan. I am hoping that if he does require surgery, it won't be major but I would have thought after 2 1/2 months he would have shown some improvement.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I called the gentleman in Texas and told him the 73 Lincoln was ready for delivery. He is sending a father and son for the car this weekend and they are going to drive it back to Texas. As far as the 72 is concerned I will hold on to that one until the fat lady sings. Like Rosie said, now that Arnold Palmer has died and having his letter stated he drove the 72 Lincoln during the 1972 Masters there is no telling what the car is worth.

One the way home this morning the 73 Lincoln really drove nice. With the front end work it drives like a new car.

Wife Sue

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Our neighbor informed us today he is going to buy the Winnebago. I know he and his family will enjoy it. He is a hard worker and deserves some R&R.

I have some news that is not so good about Peaches. Her dementia is getting worse and she is really having a hard time with potty duties. It's as if she doesn't know she is going to the bathroom sometimes as she is just standing there when it happens. Tonight she pooped as she was walking as if she didn't know what she was doing. Maybe its time to send her to the bridge, but it is so hard when she still acting as if she isn't in any pain or should I say not suffering. She is weak in her hips and has a hard time climbing steps. She has a hard time laying down trying to get in the right position so as not to hurt herself in the process. Sue and I have talked tonight and she thinks it is time, me, I just don't know yet.

Richard one of my cockers was doing that too, we had x-rays done and discovered that he had a fused spine on his back end. He never really acted like he was in pain, but he couldn't jump up on the furniture or any thing like that. We just thought it was because he was getting fat (adrenal problems ) but x-rays proved otherwise. Also he had a problem with going completely and would just go standing like you say Peaches is doing.
I don't know how long Peaches has had this problem, but you might want to check into that.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck Dixie on the sale of the Lincoln. Hope you get to wave goodbye to it very soon. I got my old car out of the garage this morning and took Kahlan to school in it. We had a number of the young men there standing with their tongues hanging out, and an older gentleman who is the science teacher. even if she is 35, she still looks like a princess and sounds like real road machine. One of the little guys came over to open the door for Kahlan to get out and then he looked confused and said " How do you open this thing"

You know Dixie, that Lincoln, having belonged to Palmer, now has some good history. To some people , it might seem a bit more valuable.

I am sure everyone is going to enjoy the Rally. wish we could have made it, but we take our responsibility of helping raise a child very seriously.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Arnold Palmer died over the weekend at age 87. What a golf legend and such a gentleman. At least I have something to remember him by that is personal. His letter concerning the 72 Lincoln he drove during the Masters Golf Tournament in 1972 that now sets in my garage.

The 73 Lincoln is ready so Sue and I have to pick it this morning. Hopefully the man from Texas will follow through and pick it up this week. I hope all is well with everyone this morning. This Friday is Sue's B/day. To be a brittle diabetic she is very healthy and full of energy. I am amazed at her stamina. She is always busy doing something. I am getting excited about the Old Fella rally next month. Look forward to see all of the gang who are faithful and have been over the years.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Dan now that you and Patty are home are you going to the rally straight from there?

That is our plan.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bet you find it all now.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today Sue and I went to Walmart and bought a toaster, some dishes and silverware all of which disappeared when we cleaned out the MH when it went to Knoxville for two months for repairs. We are all set now for traveling. Just need some can staple stuff, coffee and junk food.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
I had a GREAT day today! I watched the Broncos beat the Bengals, then, on the same channel, I watched the Eagles crush the Steelers, who had ESPN's top power rating. Both my teams are now 3-0, with strong, young quarterbacks, and are the talk of the league. Dare I see Super Bowl 51, Eagles vs. Broncos?

Its okay to dream Gary, we all have our fantasies.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I had a GREAT day today! I watched the Broncos beat the Bengals, then, on the same channel, I watched the Eagles crush the Steelers, who had ESPN's top power rating. Both my teams are now 3-0, with strong, young quarterbacks, and are the talk of the league. Dare I see Super Bowl 51, Eagles vs. Broncos?
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Glad to hear from so many of you and to know you are doing well. Peaches had a good night, not up wandering through the house making a mess. I was going to put her in the kennel crate last night but she was sound a sleep when we went to bed so I wouldn't wake her. This morning she is doing well, seems to be feeling good. She ate breakfast and is now waiting for a walk. Suzie is amazing to me. She is ten years old and still acts like a puppy. She is full of energy and her curiosity in things going on is sometime so funny. She has that look that says I see you and don't try to pull anything funny.

I am so glad so see the season starting to change. We are restocking the MH but can't find the toaster nor the silverware. I guess it will show up some time, most likely when we give up trying to find it and buy new.

Okay I need to get ready to face the day so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Good Morning, Richard!

We are fine. We left our summer haunt on Friday and traveled a short distance to camp for 2 nights while visiting my Mom. She has decided she will fly to Texas. We will pick her up in Houston on our way through and take her down to the RGV. She is going to clean out her place there and put it up for sale.

Cousins from the wreck are all healing. Still cannot drive and are slow to move. Cousin Jo is still in a wheelchair. Turns out she has a bone chip on the top of the tibia close to her "new" knee she got a couple years ago. It may require surgery. She cannot put any weight on it at all. Also discovered she has facial fractures, but is doing well in spite of it all and maintaining good humor. Gary is already searching for a new truck. Thankfully his sister is still there caring for them.

Duchess is adjusting to life as an only dog and we are doing our best to keep her occupied. We take her with us much more than we did 2 dogs. She's easy and doesn't bark.

Heading out today to central Indiana where we used to live and have our 6 month doctor visits.

Best wishes to you all!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE, I wish I could have borrowed Murray a couple of months back. When we bought ournew to us MoHO, we also bought a mouse. We did evict it tho, with the assistance of a trap and a dab of peanut butter. You know, I worried about a dog out living me too. And when I told me daughters that, they all said not to worry, that they would take any pet I had. So, I found Gracie, then last year I was given another little guy. So now, if I conk off, my kids will have two dogs to deal with ๐Ÿ™‚ I sure am glad you and Angie were able to get the burrs out of her poor little ear.

Dixie, I am glad your little one is acing a bit perkier. I know how worried I was just because Rockie was laying around a bit more than usual. I did findout a little more about him tho, why he didnt jump, (back knees not created properly) and thats probably why he has arthritis. BTW, I found those little pill pocket things at costco. they are pretty big for my little guys. I have been cutting them in half and then squeezing one half all around the pill and he trys to chew around the pill to get the pocket thing, but its just too hard and he leaves very little of it when I do that. Of course Gracie is jealous that Rockie is getting something she isnt, So I give her the other half.

Well the race is starting and my guy , Carl Edwardsis on the pole, so, I gotta get. You all take care. God bless your pea picking hearts ๐Ÿ™‚
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE