cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Dodge diesels

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
A customer of mine had an issue with his on a trip last year although it showed up back in the US. It looks like ULSD issue. Apparently on this particular year (maybe 2011 as well), Dodge did some sort of exhaust recycling that causes issues that appear like a DPF problem. The LSD fuel probably exacerbated it however. He had BD diesel in BC do some mods to correct it tot he tune of about $1300. This apparently only affected this year of Dodge, it was fixed in 2013. If you have a 2012 dodge diesel, you should be aware of it. I think ted white may have details on it.
3 REPLIES 3

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what Ted says, so this affects 2011-2012

The EPA set new and stricter limits on NOX emissions from diesel engines starting in 2011. There were two ways that manufacturers could achieve the new targets. One was to introduce an SCR (Selective Catalytic Reducer) that used DEF (Diesel Exhaust fluid) to reduce NOX. The other method was to increase the amount of exhaust gas being fed back through the engine. This second method starves the engine of oxygen which then gets stripped from the NOX during combustion.

Ford and GM decided to go with DEF in 2011, while Dodge decided to increase the amount of exhaust gas recirculation. Dodge used this decision as a sales tactic against Ford and GM, appealing to buyers who were wary of the DEF based systems, but they had to switch to DEF in 2013 because emissions targets were once again made more strict by the EPA.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
This is something specific to this years dodge which was the year prior to introducing DEF. it has nothing to do wioth teh DPF filter, it is something additional to it and nothing to do with ULSD it just exacerbates makes it happen sooner. I will ask Ted White for details, he knows more about & it.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
That has been a well known issue with ALL newer trucks. Since 2007.5 Dodge has used a DPF in the exhaust system. Using anything other than ULSD will clog the system. Nothing new.