cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 summer plan

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2002 my wife and I RV every summer for 4-5 months in North America,each trip to different States/Provinces,at the end of each trip we store the rig and fly home for the winter,in the next summer we continue form the place we left the rig.
We are interested in History,hiking,waterfalls,natural hot pools and meeting people.
Our 2015 plan starts from Salida CO and ends near LA,the stops on the map are where we will camp,leave the 5W and discover the area with the Tow.
We do not commit our selves to a time table what gives us maximum flexibility and freedom.
The reason I post the plan now is to get suggestions on "must see" and where to camp along the route and be able to do the changes on time.
Thank you

F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website
5 REPLIES 5

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
I don't know when you are planning to start in Salida, but be aware that winter can hang on into May and even June in the mountains around there. Lots to do at lower elevations. We love Salida. We probably spent three weeks there this year at different times doing things like mountain biking, skiing, and hiking. The Arkansas River is some of the best rafting around with runs for people of all ability levels.

You can do a search here on Rocky Mountain NP and get tons of info.

Vernal can be pretty warm once you get into June. Besides the usual stops to see the dinosaur attractions (e.g. the NM and the Utah Field House) you might want to spend some time to the north in the area around Flaming Gorge. Higher up and 10 to 20 degrees cooler.

In the mountains between SLC and Provo, head up American Fork canyon and visit Timpanogas Cave NM. The Alpine Loop Scenic Byway around the back side of Mt. Timpanogos is gorgeous. A little more far afield from Provo but worth the drive is the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway (UT 150).

Around Ely, NV, there's of course Great Basin NP and Lehman Cave there. Do some research and you'll find a lot of ghost towns in the Ely area to visit.

I can't tell specifics from your map, but it looks like you're thinking of staying in Wells and Battle Mountain, NV. Given the choice, I might move to Elko and Winnemucca. Of course Angel Lake out of Wells is beautiful, but I think there's more to do when based out of Elko, and there are more services there too. Same with Winnemucca vs. Battle Mountain IMHO. While Ely is around 6500', the towns along I-80 are lower and pretty hot in the summer. Around Elko, don't miss Lamoille Canyon. To the north, you can explore the Jarbridge area. The road over Harrison Pass is nice. A day trip to Eureka should also be in your plans. When you're in parts of Nevada, you're way out there, so be prepared.

I notice you're planning on taking I-80 across NV. Have you ever take US 50 across? While a loop up through Wells and Elko would give you some nice scenery around the Ruby Mountains, we personally prefer the stretch from Eureka to Reno on US 50 over the trip on I-80 from Elko to Reno.

Hi Ken& Ellison,
Thank you for your response.
Most of the places you mentioned to visit are already marked on the map to visit.
First I planned to cross NV on HWY 50 as you suggested but then will miss the Northern part ....can't do them both,so help me out here -on which will I see more attractions?
Thanks
Website

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
welove2drive wrote:
We have not traveled on your 2015 route so I don't have any suggestions. I really enjoyed looking at your blog of all of the places that you have visited! I looked at places that we would like to visit and places we have visited. I was impressed that you visited so many out of the way beautiful places in southern Missouri!Interesting and humorous blog! Wishing you safe travels!
Marcia

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.
We try to do "deep" travelling rather than cover grounds and we enjoy evey minute.
Website

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We have not traveled on your 2015 route so I don't have any suggestions. I really enjoyed looking at your blog of all of the places that you have visited! I looked at places that we would like to visit and places we have visited. I was impressed that you visited so many out of the way beautiful places in southern Missouri!Interesting and humorous blog! Wishing you safe travels!
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know when you are planning to start in Salida, but be aware that winter can hang on into May and even June in the mountains around there. Lots to do at lower elevations. We love Salida. We probably spent three weeks there this year at different times doing things like mountain biking, skiing, and hiking. The Arkansas River is some of the best rafting around with runs for people of all ability levels.

You can do a search here on Rocky Mountain NP and get tons of info.

Vernal can be pretty warm once you get into June. Besides the usual stops to see the dinosaur attractions (e.g. the NM and the Utah Field House) you might want to spend some time to the north in the area around Flaming Gorge. Higher up and 10 to 20 degrees cooler.

In the mountains between SLC and Provo, head up American Fork canyon and visit Timpanogas Cave NM. The Alpine Loop Scenic Byway around the back side of Mt. Timpanogos is gorgeous. A little more far afield from Provo but worth the drive is the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway (UT 150).

Around Ely, NV, there's of course Great Basin NP and Lehman Cave there. Do some research and you'll find a lot of ghost towns in the Ely area to visit.

I can't tell specifics from your map, but it looks like you're thinking of staying in Wells and Battle Mountain, NV. Given the choice, I might move to Elko and Winnemucca. Of course Angel Lake out of Wells is beautiful, but I think there's more to do when based out of Elko, and there are more services there too. Same with Winnemucca vs. Battle Mountain IMHO. While Ely is around 6500', the towns along I-80 are lower and pretty hot in the summer. Around Elko, don't miss Lamoille Canyon. To the north, you can explore the Jarbridge area. The road over Harrison Pass is nice. A day trip to Eureka should also be in your plans. When you're in parts of Nevada, you're way out there, so be prepared.

I notice you're planning on taking I-80 across NV. Have you ever take US 50 across? While a loop up through Wells and Elko would give you some nice scenery around the Ruby Mountains, we personally prefer the stretch from Eureka to Reno on US 50 over the trip on I-80 from Elko to Reno.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several ghost towns and old mining towns in the high desert area. One of them was Calico, CA. It's an old silver mining town that's been restored.
http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/Parks/CalicoGhostTown.aspx
I liked the eastern side of the High Sierras, around Bishop and Mammoth CA. Great views, clean air, and some old gold mines.