cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Admission to CA after DUI 10 years ago

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My brother and I wish to drive to AK fron California but he had a DUI over ten years ago, can he enter CA?

My wife heard on GMA or The Today Show that after ten years it would be okay.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
31 REPLIES 31

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
In the end the moral of the story is.......Dont drink and drive...and you'll save yourself and others a lot of headaches!

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
This is actually the best reply page I have seen on this topic.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Just know this... when then President George Bush (I believe Sr.) had to come to Canada, he needed a special exemption because of a DUI from back in the 70's. Not sure how easy or difficult it will be for a regular Joe to get one.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
As others have suggested check with the authorities.

My daughters brother in law had a DUI 12 years ago, he was coming for his wedding...denied! Check with the ones who have the right answers.

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not know if this is comparable but a friend of mine paid fees and costs of $3k to be allowed access to Canada for work purposes due to his DUI conviction. This was about 3 years ago.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think some on here myself included got mixed up on the term 'CA" being for CANADA not CALIF.

i.e. can the Brother enter CANADA on the trip to Alaska..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

oweninthekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this helps!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c49436/Canada:Dwi.Or.Dui.Driving.Convictions.html
USAF Retired 2000
DOD Civilian to Retire 2015
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Adapter Hitch
2014 Winnebago Lite Five FW30RES

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
From the horse herds' mouths:

FAQ from Citizenship and Immigration Canada

I was convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Can I enter Canada?

It depends. If you have been convicted of driving under the influence, you are criminally inadmissible to Canada. However, you may be eligible for individual or deemed rehabilitation, depending on how much time has passed. Under some circumstances, you may also be offered a fee-exempt temporary resident permit for one visit to Canada under CIC's new policy on criminal inadmissibility.

From the Embassy of the Unites States (Ottawa)

Drunk Driving or other Criminal Record

Anyone with a criminal record (including a drunk driving conviction) may be excluded from Canada. A waiver of exclusion may be issued but several weeks are required and a processing fee must be paid. Contact the Canadian Embassy or a Canadian Consulate in the U.S. for more information.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Need to get it taken off the records (exspunged) is the term.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
You know, I wouldn't mention it, even if they asked!

I guess I'm morally corrupt!

:B

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
A DUI in Canada is considered a Criminal Conviction. I would just check with CBSA to know for sure. Maybe something on their website.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a bit puzzled by this situation too. For years I have read on this forum about people being turned away from the border for having a DUI over thirty years ago. On the other hand, on the relatively new show 'Border Security', they mention this ten year limit quite often, but without actually specifying the details.
I think I would determine the details of this inadmissibility by contacting the relative authorities rather than getting information on here, or by GMA.
Remember, a DUI in Canada is considered a criminal offense and this standard is applied to foreigners entering the country.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
diazr2 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
then it must be ok.

:W
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard such a rule to enter Calif and I have lived here over 72 years !!
I!m not saying there is no such rule, just saying I have never heard of such.
Now crossing into Canada I have heard of rules of DUI and not being allowed into Canada
samsontdog:o:W

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
then it must be ok.