cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AIR HORN

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone heard about or used a small air horn as a bear deterrent since making noise is recommended.
15 REPLIES 15

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I made a portable Air Horn out of a empty 2-1/2 gallon water extinguisher and a old "Grote" 4 foot air horn off of a cement truck.
Used the handle off the extinguisher to mate to the air horn, then zip tied the horn to the extinguisher body,, used my air compressor to fill to 120 PSI,, Light weight and Very Very loud!! I have used it at sporting events and parades..
If it doesn't scare the bear its big enough to throw at it as you run away or draw a weapon!!
Compared to a small hand held small air horn,, this thing will make ear wax fall out!!!
I will try to find it in storage and post a picture or video..

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a documentary recently by a couple of guys that have had a lot of experience with grizzles. One of them a lot more experience than he wanted. Lots of bad scars and he lost an eye by an attacking Grizz. Both were carrying bear spray in the video and NOT in a pocket or back pack. Right in front of their chest in a holster that would be fast to access.

One of them mentioned that if he is in an area of thick brush he even takes the safety off the spray and carries it in his hand. I would think they would be as ready as you can be. I would not make the mistake of carrying my spray anywhere that I would have to fumble for a few seconds to get it ready.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
For those who haven't seen it, Sue has a really nice set of bear photos on her blog, same quality as those above.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I carry just my camera... ๐Ÿ˜‰

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
I sometimes carry and use a Coast Guard type air horn in brushy grizzly country - not to scare the bear if I see him, but to warn him that I'm in the area. If they know you're coming they will most likely leave, if you blow that thing at him, it might be a very different story.

I do the same, I have been in bear country all my life and never had a problem. I don't carry a gun, but I do carry Bear Bangers, bear spray as well as a air horn. I also use the air horn to let the Forrest critters know we are in the area, usually when we stop for lunch or are taking a break.
We do a lot of back road exploring in our side X side and contrary to popular belief they are not that noisy. Yes some people put load exhaust systems on them however ours is stock and we usually will drive up on Bear, Deer, Elk the odd Moose and Mountain Sheep. We will sit and wait for them to see us before we carry on but sometimes the air horn comes out when Mr. Bear keeps walking towards us as he hasn't gotten a wif or seen us yet.
We also have the pump up model of air horn.

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Making noise and being aware are the best deterrents. A subset of being aware is not to get between the bear and its food or young.

I read the same study about the firecrackers....makes sense to me; The noise never stops so Brother Bruin never has a chance to indulge any latent curiosity and just defaults to thinking it's something bad.

Of course, then there are those times (such as when hunting them) that all bears are clairvoyant and stay away because they sense your intentions, even if one is quiet! ๐Ÿ™‚
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
I like the double barrel the best. Not because I don,t trust bear spray or air horns but just because everyone these days wants a pump with a 10 shot magazine, pistol grip, breaching choke and megawatt flashlight attached. I just appreciate the aesthetics of a SXS.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I read a study many years ago by Alaska F&G which tested various deterrents. The most effective was a whole string of black cats (firecrackers). Not because they are so loud, my bear bangers are far louder, but because of the sheer length of the noise. Every single bear left the area, every one.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes carry and use a Coast Guard type air horn in brushy grizzly country - not to scare the bear if I see him, but to warn him that I'm in the area. If they know you're coming they will most likely leave, if you blow that thing at him, it might be a very different story.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the DNR website for the state/county/area you will be camping in. And search for Bears information.

I found out I had bears on the property I bought in Florida. I went to their Dept of Natural Resources site and was VERY shocked on all what I did NOT know AND all the bad info I got from friends, about the Florida Black Bear on how to live with and/or stay safe when they are around.

There is a TON of misinformation on bears floating around by word of mouth that could just get you killed!

THE biggest fallacy is all the stories and advice one gets about just laying down real still if you have no other option and you might survive a bear encounter.

Well with a Grizzly Bear you just might live thru it.

BUT...and I quote, with a Florida Black Bear if you lay down real still he will attack you, drag you off and eat you!

Big difference in advice between Bear species eh? :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Yep..and I have one of the refillable types in the RV. before I go any further, to re-fill..I can either hold it up to the TV and allow the hot air from bombastic hair man to enter the can..or attach the standard type bicycle pump and give'r.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at Discovery Yukon Lodging RV park last summer (and are definitely going back there).

While there we thought we'd take off for a walk on some trails carrying bear spray. They insisted we carry canned air horns which they hand out. They say they are very effective. I also carried bear spray. Guess it worked- we made it back?

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
While checking in at the Pearly Gates....

"Yes, St. Peter, I remember pushing the button on that air horn, and that REALLY seemed to anger that grizzly..... That's all I remember...."

Seriously, black bears will scare out of camp by just banging some pans together. That is, unless they have focussed on a clear source of food. You leave food out, and forget about trying to scare them away.....

No personal experience with grizzly's (and I prefer it that way!).
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Can't hurt. Yes I've heard of people using them. Mixed results, but that seems to be true for all bear deterrents, even guns. I carry bear bangers which go off like an m-80, but you can't buy them in the US. In real bear country (parts of Alaska) you'll find me with a bear bell, the bangers, bear spray, and a double barrel, and sometimes a buddy for backup. I solo a lot and there's no room for mistakes. I like to have options. Other than the double barrel it all fits in a pocket. I haven't had so many encounters since I try to avoid them, but usually you just need a noise to announce your presence. But there are places and times when a bear is not familiar with humans and being the top predator will come investigate noises. In my experience immature bears are even more dangerous than sows with cubs. Young and dumb.