cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska 2022??

Cinderella
Explorer
Explorer
Was curious if anyone is considering going to Alaska this year? Usually by now there are some posts. Was wondering with Covid testing requirements to get through Canada and rising fuel costs if anyone is planning on going.
31 REPLIES 31

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
Cinderella wrote:
Was curious if anyone is considering going to Alaska this year? Usually by now there are some posts. Was wondering with Covid testing requirements to get through Canada and rising fuel costs if anyone is planning on going.

Yep June on Princess Cruise Lines

Cruising is fine for some but those boats stop at every T shirt, trinket & jewelry store on the SE coast.

The North & Alaska by RV is a whole different trip to whole different places.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Cinderella wrote:

Yep June on Princess Cruise Lines
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I look at it this way.
At my age and after the medical issues I have had, if the price of fuel keeps me from doing a any trip that I want to do, may as well just jump off a bridge and call it a day.
We sat at home for the last 2 years waiting, and if you didn;t save some money in that time, your probably not going to afford a trip up north at anytime.
I thought the reason for working for 40 years at one place was so that when we do retire, you just do what you want and when.
Gas prices have been going up since I was a kid in the 60โ€™s, they have yet to go down to date.
Happy Trails everyone
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read an blog of some guy who went to Alaska riding a moped from Toronto. Sounding like a good idea these days.

Have to feel sorry for the CG owners along the Alaska Highway. Two years of covid now this. Talk about getting more licks when you are down.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PA12DRVR wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
The good part is it will probably cut down on the crowds.

The way it usually works (since Mr. Murphy rides shotgun on many of my drives) is that even if there are only 3-4 40' class A's in Alaska, I'll be able to catch up to them just as they leave Palmer and enter the twisty part of the Glenn....or maybe they'll be just ahead of me going past Girdwood... :S

Lol, funny part is I know exactly where you're talking about and how hard it is to pass Back of the Pack if he were driving around up there!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:

The way it usually works (since Mr. Murphy rides shotgun on many of my drives) is that even if there are only 3-4 40' class A's in Alaska, I'll be able to catch up to them just as they leave Palmer and enter the twisty part of the Glenn....or maybe they'll be just ahead of me going past Girdwood... :S
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tentative plan is to make our way out to Wyoming & Montana later this summer and leave the rig at a friends over the winter before finishing our way to Alaska in 2023.

Of course, our plans often change, so who knows for sure.

By mid summer, I expect we will either be in WWIII (and a trip to Alaska is not our biggest concern) or things will have settled down. Prices might be a little high but nothing that would stop us.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
The gas price increases were happening even before the Ukraine invasion. We need to develop our domestic resources.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
charlestonsouthern wrote:
Canada banned Russian oil imports about a week ago; US just banned those imports today; we are all in for a hard time with gas price increases, but will not complain after seeing the horrors going on in Ukraine, God bless them.

Amen

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Currently, both regular and diesel are circa $4.50 per gallon in Los Anchorage depending on station.

In an ordinary time, there's probably a (very unscientific) 20% seasonal increase for the summer season...i.e. maybe expect $5.25 - $5.50? / gallon.

...but that's ordinary and these times are far from ordinary. At my weekend place (where I actually fill up more than anywhere else): Dec. 28, 2020 $2.54, June 15, 2021: $2.99; December 19, 2021: $3.65; last Tuesday $4.29. Nearly 70% increase in about 15 months. I think there'll be more hikes than usual this summer and fewer boat or PA-12 trips.....
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We will wait until we see what the cruise options are this summer.

The ferries to AK may be your best travel plans
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
E-bike or dog sled with wheels may be the chosen transport.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can afford to buy fuel it might be a good year to go.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Canada banned Russian oil imports about a week ago; US just banned those imports today; we are all in for a hard time with gas price increases, but will not complain after seeing the horrors going on in Ukraine, God bless them.