cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any construction at The Reef?

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
Last winter at The Reef RV park in Puerto Peñasco they (again) said that construction of the marina and closure of the park was imminent. Gus, at the front desk, said that they weren't taking reservations after June.

Has anybody been down there lately? Any news?
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey
4 REPLIES 4

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We left the first week of March after only two or three weeks. One day we saw a panga with divers deliver something heavy and long - and submerged en route - to the shore near us on the dry camp area. A truck backed up and they managed to load it on. Likely to do with the testing they had done before we arrived. That was it. For the $5 a day we got wifi and laundry and dumping priveleges. Not so bad. Oh, and an up close view of a 5th wheel and tow truck destroyed by fire. Off at church that Sunday, the owners had folks take up a collection around the park. They had lost everything they traveled with that day, despite efforts of the Bombaderos.

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
tortuga110 wrote:
I live at Playa de Oro on the other side of Penasco. The Reef is still open. Nothing has started out there yet. They had drilling platforms out there last spring getting core samples from the ocean floor. ...
We spent last winter at The Reef and watched the drilling platform work, get moved, work some more, get moved, then sink in a storm around February 8. It didn't show up again after it was raised and towed away. We left in late March.

We have been hearing that they were starting construction on the marina "this year" since around 2005, I believe. I'm hoping that it won't happen this year, since they said the park would shut down when they start hauling rock from Black Mountain to build the part of the marina planned for the beach directly in front of the park.
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
This would be great to have for the USA cruise customers doing a Pacific coast cruise. But if heading through the Panama I see no advantage, you'll be flying home from Florida anyway, may as well start from there and see San Diego. The Cortes can be beautiful, no doubt, but where else to put in to harbour or to anchor? Just about nowhere, with 8- or 900 miles of mostly unapproachable shores.

Puerto Penasco gets north winds in winter that roll hard through the very area that is being considered for docking so it will require placing a lot more effort into its construction. Perhaps, with completion of it in sight, some of the unfinished buildings already there can be put into usable condition.

We had our first trip to Rocky Point this winter, and enjoyed it, staying at Reef RV. Hate to think if we return we'd end up in another park, some RV's are stacked in like sardines there at the competition.

tortuga110
Explorer
Explorer
I live at Playa de Oro on the other side of Penasco. The Reef is still open. Nothing has started out there yet. They had drilling platforms out there last spring getting core samples from the ocean floor. Here is a Facebook page that has info: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Puerto-Penasco-Home-Port/314630191975317
Fulltime RVer for 15 yrs
Now at Playa de Oro RV Park
Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico