Explorer
7 REPLIES 7

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the video links, Sue. The two geologists from the Yukon Geological Survey answered my questions completely. Glad there was no serious damage to the Haines Cutoff and that only one building in Whitehorse is still closed.

Haven't heard anything in the Lower 48 about earthquake damage in Skagway or Haines Have you seen any news from there since May 1?
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
This lady was fortunate!

Mt. Logan

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The Yukon Geological Survey has published two videos regarding the earthquakes and the hundreds of aftershocks we've been having.

What caused the May 1, 2017 earthquake?

What does the epicenter of the May 1, 2017, earthquakes look like?

We feel the occasional aftershock, the ones greater than 4.0M

Some of the buildings in Whitehorse have been damaged. One government building remains vacant due to damage.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Any additional damage news in the past several days, Sue? And, since the quakes were so shallow, have any surface ruptures been found?

Thanks for the link to the Earthquake Center map. It shows dozens of very near-surface aftershocks up to about 3.5. And they are all lined up right along the southeastern extension of the Denali Fault, which approximates the orientation of the Lynn Canal.

Hadn't really thought about it before, but now think I'll have to pay a visit to the Earthquake Center when I am in Fairbanks in June. Guess I was just too excited about getting to go back to the Permafrost Tunnel for the first time in 45 years to remember the Earthquake Center!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
There were two earthquakes, plus aftershocks. The first earthquake was at 5:31 am and the second at 7:18 (Yukon time).

Both were near the surface, along the Haines Highway in British Columbia, near Kelsall Lake.

Some older buildings in Whitehorse were damaged (cracks), power was out in many places, some schools cracked too.
There's been dozens of aftershocks, some felt, some not.

We felt the quakes at our place - lots of rumbling but our house didn't shake too much. During the second quake I was driving the Alaska Highway so I didn't feel it because the highway is rough. Some people fell out of their beds, some dogs ran away, some cats got upset -- just about everyone felt it, from Atlin to Ross River, Haines and Skagway, up to Destruction Bay and more.

The Alaska Earthquake Center was good mapping
http://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes

Here's the CBC Yukon news article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/earthquake-yukon-alaska-1.4093105
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
My weather app (Storm) had it at a magnitude of 6.4. Hopefully there's not too much damage up there.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS