cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

are cheap flip phone still available?

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
In Mazatlan I tried Sam's Club and another large Mega? all they had were expensive phones. I think I need something like a cheap track flip phone. Any suggestions, or am I living in the past?
21 REPLIES 21

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Wm.Elliot wrote:
Thanks,
I'll check today. These phones will work all over Mexico as is?

All Mexican providers have towers throughout Mexico. Sometimes you may find yourself in an area that doesn't have a tower similar to service in the U.S. or Canada.

We use Movistar and the coverage is pretty good like that of Telcel. Those seem to be the two most popular.

There will be stretches of highway in the middle of nowhere that have no service for any of the providers.

Movistar Coverage Map by State

Telcel
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
"We bought cheap flip phones (track phones) from Walmart just a couple of months ago. I like a phone that doesn't have too many bells, hoops and whttps://forums.trailerlife.com/SharedContent/cfb/images/x.gifhistles. This one has a camera, texting, send and receive photos...and oh yeah, you can send and receive phone calls! "

Dewey: You are referring to Tracfones. Although Tracfone is owned by Carlos Slim they are not sold in Mexico. Whether one is in Mexico, Canada or the USA you need to have a plan that will work in that country. One can get a plan that works in all 3 but not everyone has that service. You can delete your post anytime! It is naรฏve to think you can walk into any cell store and buy a pay as you go phone and assume it will work anywhere.

Moisheh

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Where and how well your phone works depends on the provider. There are maps that show coverage areas. Again - this depends on if the phone is LTE - or GSM - or whatever.

https://opensignal.com/networks/m%C3%A9xico/telcel-cobertura

http://www.cellularmaps.com/mx_net_compare.shtml scroll down

http://www.cellularmaps.com/coverage.shtml

http://maps.mobileworldlive.com/network_info.php?nid=381&org_id=6894&cid=201

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=334&MNC=20&type=UMTS&latitude=24.170444753448635&longitude=-106.09045043945308&zoom=6&showTowers=true&clusterEnabled=true&tilesEnabled=true&heatMapEnabled=false&showOrphans=false&showFrequencyOnly=false&showBandwidthOnly=false&DateFilterType=FirstSeen&showHex=false&bands=0,2,4,5,850,1800&showVerifiedOnly=false&showUnverifiedOnly=false&showLTECAOnly=false&showBand=0

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
I'll check today. These phones will work all over Mexico as is?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The inexpensive phones are available at all OXXO, 7-Eleven and Extra stores. You may find a kiosk in a Soriana or Mega.

I found one in Mazatlan last winter, free with the purchase of 300 pesos in air time.

They are everywhere. You'll see the plastic case on the checkout counter at the convenience stores.

On edit, the ones we had seen were at the Ley supermarket downtown by the city market.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
moisheh wrote:
Some of the above posters are talking about USA phones. Folks: This is a Mexico forum and the discussion is about MEXICAN phones!!!!

Moisheh

Last I knew, there were Walmarts in Mexico.
I would assume they have phones that work in Mexico.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Do they use different frequencies in Mexico than in the USA?

Yes and no. Depends on your phone and your provider and which provider you use in Mexico. I forget all the details. We have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 on the North American plan so we can use it in US - Canada - Mexico. Some phones can work anywhere in the world. But you have to get that info from your provider. I think in the US we would be on the LTE system but in Mexico I think it is CDMX or something like that - phone has to be able to use whatever is out in the rest of the world - called international or world phones I think. Some phones can only be used on one specific system and other phones can be used on any system in the world.

Verizon still has flip phones that can be used internationally depending on your plan - around $200 or $8 per month on a 24 month plan.

TelCel website

LANIX U100 319 pesos

Azumi L2Z 339 pesos

Alcatel 1050A 369 pesos

These do not appear to be flip phones - just cheap throwaways - we had one for several years until we got on the Verizon plan for an Extra $10

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Some readers of this forum has things set up so they see every post no matter which sub-forum the post is listed in - they have no idea when they are on the Mexico forum unless someone tells them. All subject lines should in some way indicate enough about the subject so people know it is about Mexico. The subject line should also not be the first line of the text - always fill in the text so those who are not looking at the subject no what the question might pertain to. When we are not specific we will be seeing many replies which have nothing to do with the actual topic. Never assume people know which sub-forum they are on. Many are lost.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Some of the above posters are talking about USA phones. Folks: This is a Mexico forum and the discussion is about MEXICAN phones!!!!

Moisheh

Do they use different frequencies in Mexico than in the USA? Phones from USA won't work south of the border?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican phones? Taco Bell!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer

Moisheh

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
...and oh yeah, you can send and receive phone calls!

Wow! What will they think of next?
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought cheap flip phones (track phones) from Walmart just a couple of months ago. I like a phone that doesn't have too many bells, hoops and whistles. This one has a camera, texting, send and receive photos...and oh yeah, you can send and receive phone calls!

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I tried two el chepo used flip phones from an online vendor; had problems with both. Got a new flip phone from ATT store for $49. Happy with it. It's small, sturdy, and holds its charge for several days.