cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Austin Texas by pass

Skline01
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to figure out how much it would cost to by pass Austin using route 130 which is a tollway. When I look at the vehicle pictures they use to describe the pricing I don't know which one represents a motorhome with a toad. Has anyone taken this route from the beginning at Georgetown, ending at interstate 10 with a motorhome and toad and have any idea of the cost? Thanks
USMC Mustang 8989
8 REPLIES 8

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
I don't believe there's anymore working toll booths, cameras do all the work and you'll get a bill in the mail.

I'll have to point out that pay by mail is generally somewhat more expensive than toll tags. Most toll roads around Austin offer pay by mail, but not all toll roads in Texas do. There are signs giving warnings on the ones that do not - meaning you will be fined if you use them without a tag or using toll booths - and not all toll roads even have toll booths.

I have a Texas toll tag that is good on all toll roads in my home state, no matter which toll road authority runs the individual toll road.

I got a Florida SunPass tag for our trip to the state earlier this year. It works the same as TXTAG, you front end load it with some money and set a replenishment level, all charged to a credit card. This was very convenient for navigating Florida's Turnpike from one end to the other, as well as the various other toll roads in southern Florida.

Word of warning, we had one of our credit cards blocked due to the unusual out-of-state transactions in Florida. When we called to get it reset, we were told in the future to let them know when and where we were traveling so our activities are not perceived as unusual transactions.

If you are left with a small balance in the account after your travels, you can always have it credited back to you and close the account. I am leaving my SunPass open since I plan to go back to Florida next year. I have a $12 balance there.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
I always seem to make the wrong choice (high or low) when going through Austin. I can be stuck on the low pass and see traffic zinging by on the upper levels, and vice-versa.

Best time to avoid traffic on I-35 in Austin? My guess would be 2 a.m. on a weekday.....

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Go the toll road, well worth the cost. Going through Austin on IH35 is always a crapshoot. Been stuck in that traffic for hours on a Sunday morning. As Bruce suggests, you don't need to get on or off at Sequin, use the Buda entry/exit. And yes you'll be charged for 4 axles, a little more than $17 (unless they've raised the rates). I don't believe there's anymore working toll booths, cameras do all the work and you'll get a bill in the mail.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Skline01 wrote:
I am trying to figure out how much it would cost to by pass Austin using route 130 which is a tollway. When I look at the vehicle pictures they use to describe the pricing I don't know which one represents a motorhome with a toad. Has anyone taken this route from the beginning at Georgetown, ending at interstate 10 with a motorhome and toad and have any idea of the cost? Thanks

I took a look at this since I might have to do it some day. I have to admit, it is not presented in a totally straightforward manner. It looks like the toll rates are administered separately for the two sections, the north part and the south part.

Toll for north (sections 1-4) = $5.31, assuming your motorhome and toad have 4 axles combined.

Toll for the south (sections 5-6) = $29.51 (!)

You could save some money, if this is true, by taking SH45 back to I-35 instead of going all the way to I-10 - like $25 if I interpret the tolls correctly.

I agree that expecting to not hit traffic coming through Austin on I-35 is not realistic at any reasonable hour.

Let me repeat, I have not done this, I'm only deciphering the toll table.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Never been through Austin without traffic congestion.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Golden_Gopher
Explorer
Explorer
Just what time would that be?
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 4010-SPTN MM
Cummins 370 ISL, 1200 '# Torque
Blue Ox Adventa II, Apollo Brake
2003 Honda CR-V Toad

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I just try to time it right and stay on I 35.....Works great almost every time.

Bruce_Kyles
Explorer
Explorer
skline; I have done it 3 or 4 times and I thing I got charged for 4 axle which made it about $17. I am 40 dutch star with toad. The major issue is whether you go the entire route from Georgetown to Sequin. When going south I also get off at 45 to 35 which cuts off the new and pricey stretch. Going north I go to San Marcos catch 45 to 130 to go north. Also going north or south there are electronic signs that give the travel time taking 35 versus 130. At many times of the day it is faster to take 35 than 130. I know live around Austin and go by the signs every day.
2003 Dutchstar (reskinned/paint 2009)
2016 Ford F150