cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avoid Tip O'Neal tunnel

outnabout
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be pulling a 5er south through Boston & need to avoid the tunnel ( no propane) any alternates? Heading to Sagamore Beach
Craig & Arline
Montana 5er 3402 RL
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
"On the Road Again..."
16 REPLIES 16

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Take I-95/Route 128. Driving through Boston is such a pain. Just do it between the hours of 10 and 2.

Ditto on route and times

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
US1 joins I-93 just north of the Zakim bridge and is concurrent with it over the bridge and through the tunnel. It eventually continues on I-95 a bit (after the southern junction of I-93 and I-95) and then goes south as its own road.

Thanks. I come straight down 93 all the way so I don't pay much attention to where the other roads feed on/off.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
I'm confused. The last time I went over the Zakim from the north, it was I-93 which goes directly into the new tunnel where propane is not allowed. There are no exits between the bridge and the tunnel. How do you cross on the Zakim and avoid the tunnel?

X2. The Zakim goes directly through the tunnel. No way around it unless you take the surface roads, which is just plain crazy. Coming down Rt. 1 from Revere takes you over the Tobin bridge. Wait, that's now the Mystic Bridge as stated. Question is does it merge back onto 93 after the tunnel?

US1 joins I-93 just north of the Zakim bridge and is concurrent with it over the bridge and through the tunnel. It eventually continues on I-95 a bit (after the southern junction of I-93 and I-95) and then goes south as its own road.

I am likewise confused about what route is being described.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused. The last time I went over the Zakim from the north, it was I-93 which goes directly into the new tunnel where propane is not allowed. There are no exits between the bridge and the tunnel. How do you cross on the Zakim and avoid the tunnel?

X2. The Zakim goes directly through the tunnel. No way around it unless you take the surface roads, which is just plain crazy. Coming down Rt. 1 from Revere takes you over the Tobin bridge. Wait, that's now the Mystic Bridge as stated. Question is does it merge back onto 93 after the tunnel?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
dakasa47 wrote:
We don't go on 93. Straight through Boston. Wrong bridge. We don't go over Mystic bridge we go over Zakim Bridge.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
We don't go on 93. Straight through Boston. Wrong bridge. We don't go over Mystic bridge we go over Zakim Bridge.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
dakasa47 wrote:
From north of Boston when we go to the Cape we take Rt 1 through Revere and over Mystic Bridge through Boston. It is a pain but if you try to get there about 10am its not too bad. Try to avoid morning and afternoon rush hours if possible.

Except propane is not allowed in the I-93 tunnel.
Jerry & Jeanne

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
From north of Boston when we go to the Cape we take Rt 1 through Revere and over Mystic Bridge through Boston. It is a pain but if you try to get there about 10am its not too bad. Try to avoid morning and afternoon rush hours if possible.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
When are you going? Rt. 128 will be closed 11/4-11/6 as they will be tearing down a bridge.

I thought of that as well, but the OP said he is going to Sagamore and it's closed after Columbus Day.
Jerry & Jeanne

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I thought propane was required to operate the towed vehicle?
Yea I would probably be arrested ๐Ÿ˜ž

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
Take I-95/Route 128. Driving through Boston is such a pain.

X2. Regardless of restrictions it's not a fun time. 95/128 will get you where you need to go easier. When are you going? Rt. 128 will be closed 11/4-11/6 as they will be tearing down a bridge.

128 only adds about 15 minutes to the drive.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Take I-95/Route 128. Driving through Boston is such a pain.

X2. Regardless of restrictions it's not a fun time. 95/128 will get you where you need to go easier. When are you going? Rt. 128 will be closed 11/4-11/6 as they will be tearing down a bridge.

Douglas Adams

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Take I-95/Route 128. Driving through Boston is such a pain. Just do it between the hours of 10 and 2.
Jerry & Jeanne

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The DOT published a book untitled "how to use the hazardous material regulations CFR 49 parts 100 thru 185". That is 20 pages, the regulation is hundreds of pages.