cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding DC and Baltimore Tunnel?

water_witch
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so apologies for my ignorance at the start. My husband just passed away in FL two months ago, where I am and have been wintering, and I'm going to drive my MH home to NJ from FL three weeks from now.

I've found his trip plans for a return trip to NJ but can't make sense of his travel plans around DC and around the tunnel in Baltimore.

This is what I think his plans say:
I I95 til MD mile marker 22 to Baltimore Washington Parkway/MD I695 for 30 miles, then over the Francis Scott Key Bridge, meeting up with I 95 again at exit 64.

Does anybody know this route? Do I understand his notes correctly and, if yes, is this the right way to go?

I am a very novice navigator and driver so please be very specific in responses. (I drove the MH home from FL last year but he was in the passenger seat navigating for me :() Thanks for any help.
7 REPLIES 7

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
And OP also needs to know that the bridge from Virginia to Maryland on US 301 is also two lane, and not 4 lane.

And painfully intense. I hated driving that bridge with my pop-up and it was worse with my fifth wheel. That Harry P. Nice bridge is neither- hairy or nice. 😞

For water witch, if they're relative newbies to driving the motorhome. Stick with I-95 until you get close to Baltimore. Around Richmond and DC, stick with 55-60mph and let slow & steady win the race. If you're lucky, you'll hit traffic and it'll slow down. I personally don't mind stop and go traffic- it's slow and less stressful (except for the extra time it takes).

With your husband's directions- you're going to take I-95 past Richmond, around DC and then taking you straight onto I-295 (the Baltimore/Washington Parkway). This is a 2 lane (in either direction) highway and will take you up to I-695. Not a bad drive and if you've done it before, it's fine. Here is a Google Maps link that should show you the route:
DC to Baltimore using I-295 and I-695

What your husband is doing is bypassing the tunnels in Baltimore. There is no propane allowed in them.

This is a fine route.

And finally, my condolences. I can't imagine losing my wife- she's my everything.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
CloudDriver wrote:
We live in WLB, just a few miles from Oceanport. On our first trip home from Williamsburg, we made the mistake of taking I95 north from Richmond through Washington and Baltimore. Traffic was awful! Since then we have used the route suggested by esyers. Route 301 is a divided highway and is a pleasant drive, especially compared with I95.

since she is in Florida she could take the I-295 around richmond and catch 301 just before 295 hits 95, and avoid 95 north of richmond entirely. and yes, I-95 North of Fredericksburg is dreadful, simply dreadful.
bumpy

Using your route is good, and the way I would go. However, OP does need to know that a portion of US 301 in Hanover County is 2 lane highway, not 4 lane.

And OP also needs to know that the bridge from Virginia to Maryland on US 301 is also two lane, and not 4 lane.

But I do concur with any advice to avoid I-95 north of Richmond, and especially around northern Virginia, DC, and Baltimore area.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
If you live in Jersey, we took 13 down the Eastern Shore. Lovely ride. Crossed the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge into Norfolk and went North. Try it and you'll love it. 95 just sux no matter when you go.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
We live in WLB, just a few miles from Oceanport. On our first trip home from Williamsburg, we made the mistake of taking I95 north from Richmond through Washington and Baltimore. Traffic was awful! Since then we have used the route suggested by esyers. Route 301 is a divided highway and is a pleasant drive, especially compared with I95.

since she is in Florida she could take the I-295 around richmond and catch 301 just before 295 hits 95, and avoid 95 north of richmond entirely. and yes, I-95 North of Fredericksburg is dreadful, simply dreadful.
bumpy

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

water_witch
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Boy oh boy, I hope I will be fine.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
I live a bit further north in NJ. I would suggest you take I-95 to Exit 104 in Virginia, just north of Richmond. Follow VA 207 in US-301 North. You can follow US-301 all the way up to Delaware shortly before the bridge into NJ. There are two areas along 301 with shopping centers and traffic lights that can be congested, but nothing like Washington or Baltimore. Just watch know which road you want to be on and watch the signs. You'll do fine.