cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Banff to Vancouver

rwflamm
Explorer
Explorer
We're considering a trip from Glacier NP to Banff then west to Vancouver. Any advice or concerns about pulling our 36' 5th wheel on this route?
9 REPLIES 9

rwflamm
Explorer
Explorer
So much awesome information! Thanks to all.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last time that I returned to Seattle from Jasper, I took 5A from Kamloops to Princeton, and then 3 to Hope.

5A rejoins 5 at Merritt, so could be an alternative on that climb. It might actually be a bit lower, since it follows the shores of some lakes. But it's curvier, and may have shorter steeper grades. I was surprised that there was some truck traffic, since I figured they'd all take the freeway.

To use the south leg, you first take 97C which is now all divided. No significant climbs or drops, but it curves, especially around the Allison Lake PP. But the first climb west bound out of Princeton on 3 might worry some big RVs.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I hated the Coquihalla. Not many places to stop and smell the roses--plus folks who think they are in a race.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

One consideration is:
What are you pulling it with?

Really there are only a couple ways to hit Vancouver from Banff.
Hwy1 west to Kamloops and then the Coquihalla (Hwy 5) to Hope and then on into Vancouver. Or Hwy 1 from Kamloops - the Fraser Canyon.

Other option is to hit Hwy 97 south off Hwy 1 at Sicamous and go down through the Okanogan and take the Crowsnest (Hwy3) via the Hope Princeton Hwy.

Breaking it down, Hwy 1 to Kamloops - 2 choices, the Fraser Canyon or the Coke (Coquihalla Hwy 5)

The Fraser Canyon has less grades and they are not as steep. But the road has a lot of twisty corners where you have to slow down a lot. And there are many 2 lane sections.

The Coke is 4 lane all the way but there are some serious grades to consider.

With a 36' 5'ver, I hope you have a strong TV.
What are you towing it with?
If you do, I wouldn't sweat it and I would take the Coke. There are no winding corners to slow down for and it is virtually all speed limit driving with very few places you need to back off for. Long haul up out of Kamloops and another long haul up out of Merritt. If you drop a couple gears and accept the fact you are going up the grades at a respectable but slower than speed limit pace, then all is well and I would do this.

The Fraser canyon won't have you down a couple gears as much but you will be slower for all the winding corners, especially south of Ashcroft for a long ways.

Speaking for myself, I prefer the Coke over the Fraser Canyon (Hwy 1) just to avoid the switchbacks and windy road. I don't like my TT being constantly whipped back and forth, back and forth for many miles.

Now the other option, heading south on Hwy 97A from Sicamous, is really a much more picturesque drive than the Coke. Coke is a bit boring, not a lot to see unless you like high mountains and such. 97C has a lot of 2 lane roads as you head down through the Okanogan and take the Hope Princeton to the coast.

But for scenery, places to stop and things to see, this is a nice choice. There are many lakes to go by and enjoy. Mara Lake is spectacular, and there are a number of pull outs to stop at for a rest break. Very enjoyable.

Then you go south through Enderby, Armstrong and into Vernon. Vernon is a nice place. Stop at a place called Kelly O'Bryans for lunch and order a batch of Patchos! Yum Yum Yum ! I go out of my way to stop there!

Vernon south through Kelowna and then to Penticton. (I graduated high school there, got married there, made a couple daughters there!) And then you head west to Princeton, and then the Crowsnest Pass to Hope. This road does have a lot od twisty corners to slow way down for but IMO, this is the nicest drive of all. I love this section of highway, even though it has a lot of corners. If you are not in a hurry and you are willing to obey all the signs to slow to xx speed, then I would take this route.

Be sure to stop at Manning Park and enjoy the area. They have a nice restaurant there and the usual tourist store and such. Wander around outside and see the squirrels and gophers and such. They are friendly and will eat out of your hand.

Lots of government campsites along the way. Many of them border on the Similkameen River. You can overnight in any of these places for cheap.

I drag my TT over this route many many times. I have driven them all countless times and have to say that my first choice for enjoyment is the Crowsnest Pass - Sicamous south through the Okanogan. But it is a slower go with many towns and traffic lights along the way. If you have time, then this is the route for you.

If you are destination minded and want to get there and get there now, then go to Kamloops and take the Coke.

Hwy 1 Fraser Canyon would be my last choice. Nice drive, yes but the others have their inherent benefits over this road.

Whichever one you choose, the roads are all good, towing a big 5'ver is no problem at all and you will have a good comfortable drive. There are no problem areas where towing would be an issue.\

Whatever you choose, have a great journey!

FWIW, I am heading to Calgary in a week or so towing my 27' TT. I am going the Coke to Kamloops and then Hwy 1 on out to Alberta.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Be prepared to take your time. Those big hills are a long haul to the top.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Southern BC is mountains all the way across. The highways do their best to take the easiest route, but still some grades are necessary. From Banff there the 2 main options:

Hwy 1 (TransCanada) all the way. Climbs gradually to the provincial line north of Lake Louise, drops through Yoho to Golden, climbs again to Rogers Pass in Glacier NP (the Canadian one), back down to Revelstoke. From there it is river level all the way to Vancouver. However most traffic (especially if they are in a hurry) take Hwy 5 over the hill south of Kamloops. While has grades it is divided highway (once toll).

Hwy 93 through Kootenary NP is another way into BC. Then you can take Hwy 3 all the way across the south edge of the province. This has several passes. But it also has beautiful variations like the drive north on Kootenay Lake and the ferry over to Nelson.

There is a 3rd option - 93 north through Banff to Jasper NP. Then Hwy 5 SW to Kamloops.

I like to use BC provincial parks. They don't usually have hookups, but they have large, well spaced campsites, and many have good hiking.

There's no shortage of tourist information at provincial visitor centers. Also books and map books at groceries, bookstores, and even online. Look up Banff Nat Park, and download the newspaper describing that whole cluster of Alberta/BC National Parks.

DriveBC is the provincial road conditions website.

Google maps have terrain maps and streetviews for the major highways.

Ka_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
rwflamm wrote:
Sounds great. Any RV park recommendations on the route?

Depends how far you want drive each day.
Revelstoke has a nice KOA and Lamplighter RV Park. Both have sites big enough for your rig.
Cache Creek on Hwy 1 has Brookside Campsite. Nice park.
If you come through the Okanagan down Hwy 97, Kelowna has Acres RV Park or Holiday Park Resort
If you take Hwy 5 the quick route to the coast Merritt, BC has Claybanks RV Park.
Once you get to Vancouver, then Burnaby Cariboo RV Park is right in the city and the one of the best parks in the area. Or a little further out of the city is Eagle Wind.
These are some of our favorites in BC....Favorite RV Parks..BC

rwflamm
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great. Any RV park recommendations on the route?

Ka_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely none at all.
If you are taking Hwy 1 from Banff, it is the main route.
We travel all of southern British Columbia on all the highways with a 36' motor home and pulling a car with no problems.
Only thing you have to remember in British Columbia is .... we have hills. Most of the grades on our highways run around 8% which is a little steeper than the 6% down south.
Use the gear to go down, that you used to go up.