Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bay Area to Vancouver B.C.

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We're taking a 10 day trip to Vancouver B.C. The plan is to get to BC quickly and stay up there for two full days. We plan to have an Evening in Seattle on the way up and a full day in Portland on the way back.

The first day of the trip we plan to drive to either Bend or Eugene. Does anyone have any thought on the easiest, most efficient route? We would either go through Bend on the 97 or straight to Eugene on I-5. Any thoughts or recommendations on the two is appreciated.

We'll be traveling with a 32' Class A with a Jeep Cherokee toad. We have an almost 6 and almost 4 year old.

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
If it were my trip, I'd go 97 all the way up to Wenachee then #2 west to Everette. that misses the traffic in Portland and Seattle and is an easier drive, better scenery. doing the walk about in Leavenworth is worth the extra miles.

X2.

In the past 10-15 years the commute through and into Seattle (I-5) and Bellevue (I-405) is just not fun anymore. Has become like LA without route alternatives. 99 through Seattle is not something I would RV.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
If it were my trip, I'd go 97 all the way up to Wenachee then #2 west to Everette. that misses the traffic in Portland and Seattle and is an easier drive, better scenery. doing the walk about in Leavenworth is worth the extra miles.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If driving northbound through Portland avoid 3:00PM to 6:00PM (weekdays) as commute traffic is stop and go. Doesn't matter I5 or I205, both will be plugged.

I would like to tell you what time to pass through Seattle to avoid traffic but I haven't found one yet.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the 405 bypass in Seattle unless you can time it for the I5 express lanes (times on wsdot site). Also yes to 205 around Portland to avoid the I5 spagetti interchanges that have at least one hair raising last minute lane change - bad in an rv. Either way you need to be on high alert unless travelling in the middle of the night. We still remember a loaded semi with the driver having one foot out the window and headphones on - afternoon traffic Seattle I5 - wow. Vancouver is cake compared to that.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
You have it right...cross border at 15 (pacific hwy) and then take 1 to Capilano Rd exit. ....99 will dump you right into downtown Vancouver streets with no freeway and the 1st Narrows bridge with 3 narrow lanes and variable lane control. Not at all where you want to be with your rig!
If you are not intimidated driving in close quarters traffic then stay on I-5 thru Portland if off peak traffic hrs, otherwise the 205 but it is 20 miles longer.
I-5 Seattle traffic just is what it is for 30 miles north or south of downtown but on I-5 computerized overhead lane speed control signs slow traffic when it is conjested so driving bumper to bumper in tight lanes is not too stressful.
There are rush hours in Seattle and Vancouver, but no rime or reason to conjestion some days. Sit back, relax, go with the flow...Vancouver traffic listen to AM radio1130 or 730.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay on I-5 on the way up since you mentioned stopping in Seattle on the way up. 97 through Bend would require you come come back down to the valley from the Cascades. Not very direct.

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
dtoste77 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend no on 99?.

Because it is a traffic nightmare. bad road and it's full of ill-tempered commuters.

Thanks for the heads up! I've read that the border crossing is also tight. Any recommendations. Are there some crossings better than others?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
dtoste77 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend no on 99?.

Because it is a traffic nightmare. bad road and it's full of ill-tempered commuters.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
Rainier wrote:
If you want quick go 5 north. I agree take 205 around Portland. I disagree about taking 405 north around Seattle. 405,North, imho is worse than I-5 north due to all the east side traffic (Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, 520, etc.

97 through Bend is way more beautiful a drive. Consider the extra time for the scenery. Worth it!

How much extra time do you think it would run? Is it also an easy road to travel?

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
If you want quick go 5 north. I agree take 205 around Portland. I disagree about taking 405 north around Seattle. 405,North, imho is worse than I-5 north due to all the east side traffic (Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, 520, etc.

97 through Bend is way more beautiful a drive. Consider the extra time for the scenery. Worth it!

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
X2 Do yourself a favor and take I-205 around Portland and I-405 through Seattle especially during peak periods. When you approach the border take exit 276 to the truck crossing then north to highway 1. There are several campgrounds in the area, we like Dogwood in Surrey. It is relatively easy to get in and out of, reasonably priced and quiet. Don't even consider 99 into Vancouver with your rig.

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend no on 99?

As of now we were looking at 15 to 1 and we're going to stay at the capalino rv resort. I've heard the spots are a little tighter but the location is great. We prefer location..

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 Do yourself a favor and take I-205 around Portland and I-405 through Seattle especially during peak periods. When you approach the border take exit 276 to the truck crossing then north to highway 1. There are several campgrounds in the area, we like Dogwood in Surrey. It is relatively easy to get in and out of, reasonably priced and quiet. Don't even consider 99 into Vancouver with your rig.

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
If you want to get there quickly, I5 is by far the fastest way. It's a long way to drag a toad unless you plan on using it though. Have you got plans in Vancouver BC?

Thanks! Still planning what exactly to do in Vancouver. Looking to explore Seattle a little and then downtown Vancouver, Capilano Bridge, etc. Then exploring Portland on the way back. We should have about half a day in Seattle, 2/1/2 in Vancouver and 1 1/2 in Portland. About 4 1/2 days of time to use the toad to get around.

Toad always makes it easier, especially when trying to get out with two young kids.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to get there quickly, I5 is by far the fastest way. It's a long way to drag a toad unless you plan on using it though. Have you got plans in Vancouver BC?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel