cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route From Rapid City, SD to Yellowstone

Woodswalker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip from MI tomYellowstone/Grand Tetons for June. Will be going through thecU.P., down through WI and across on I-80 to Badlands, Mt. Rushmore etc. was wondering which route is best to pull a 19 ft. Travel trailer on from Rapid City to Grant Village RV park.
14 REPLIES 14

HeresLucy
Explorer
Explorer
Great article - on Yellowstone - the routes and places to stay, things to do,

http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php?pg=all
2006 Allegro Bus 40' DP
2005 Grand Cherokee

Woodswalker
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to stay on I-90. Want to see Devils Tower and Custer Battlefield and then on to Livingston. Plan to stop probably at Livingston overnight or so. Then to Bozeman and down to West Yellowstone. See some of that part of MT. Have been to the north but not the south. Thanks for all your help folks.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
To get over the Bighorn range you have 14 or 16. We took 14 East and 16 West last summer and 16 seemed a bit easier as far as grade and curves. Both roads are fine to drive. Stayed at KOA in Greybull to split the drive back to Yellowstone in half.

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ. . . we loved going US 16 from Custer to I-90 to Buffalo back on 16 to Cody & on to East entrance. 16 thru the Bighorns was as pretty a drive as anywhere we saw. . . Regards, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We also take 16 when in the area. Remember...there are even brake check areas on the interstates! 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Newk is right, I-90 is the road you want for the Badlands. If you really don't want to use US16, you can take the longer way around via I-90 to Laurel, Montana, then south on state/US routes to Cody (all decent roads, relatively flat but scenic) and west into the park from there on US14/16. At Fishing Bridge Junction inside the park, turn left and continue past Lake area and West Thumb for Grant Village - by the way, it's easy to miss the turn into Grant so be on the lookout for it, only a fairly short distance past West Thumb Jct.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

newk
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you meant "across on I-90 to Badlands", correct? Because that would be the normal route.

Unless you're really frightened of mountain driving, I'd also recommend Hwy 16 from Buffalo to Worland. Much of that is mountainous, but it's all a good, wide 4-season highway used by vehicles of all kinds. Take it easy, use lower gears descending and DO NOT RIDE your brakes, and you should be fine.

As Mr Shoe noted, there will be at least a couple pull-offs where you're encouraged to stop and check for overheated brakes. Do it. Use that time for a little break, take some photos, maybe have a sandwich. I've hauled my campers up and down and over both Hwy 14 and 16 dozens of times. In my opinion 16 is the easier route. Scratch that. EASIEST route. Just use some common sense.

I also encourage you to spend some time in the Black Hills -- Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer State Park, Jewel Cave and Devils Tower, just to mention a few. Also plan on a day in Cody for the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, etc.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on your comfort level driving over mountains - not hills. I'm a flatlander from Ohio. I drove over 16 and didn't enjoy it. And that's the "easy" one. I will never again drive on any road that has pull outs with signs that tell you to stop to check your brakes before going down the next hill. I take CloudDriver's route but continue west to Bozeman, then south on 191. I'm always headed to Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone anyway. On the way home, I head south through the Tetons and on to I-80 and head East for home.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would take either 14 or 16 over the Bighorns. We have done 14 twice and 16 once, but only in the eastbound direction. Whatever you do don't take 14A down the west side of the Bighorns - 10% grades & sharp curves.

If you want to avoid mountain driving, consider taking I90 up to Laurel (just past Billings) then routes 212, 310, 72 and 120 down to Cody. This route takes you around the Bighorns and is pretty much flat. The Little Bighorn Battlefield (Custer's last stand) is adjacent to I90 just before Crow Agency in MT.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

cbwallace
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we took I-90 north of Sheridan and then 14 across the Big Horns pulling a 32' TT. I got concerned when all of the signs around Buffalo said to take 16, but based on the advice I got on here from many experienced travelers I proceeded north to 14. I'm glad I did as it is a very scenic route and I had no issues at all. I did stop in Sheridan a fueled up. This was also my first experience towing over mountains.
Chris, Barb, two girls, a Yellow Lab and a Sammoyed
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4
B&W Turnover Ball w/Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2019 Grand Design Reflection 31MB
2007 Crownline 252 EX
Kayaks, Quads, Bikes and anything else we can drag along!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We took our antique coach over the Bighorn on 14. It wasn't all that tough. A lot of the road has recently been straightened and flattened.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would take the route suggested by sclark. Fuel up in Buffalo before 16. Not much reasonable priced fuel between Buffalo and Worland. In fact almost no stations.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
We would use sclark's route.

However, if you wanted to stay on the interstate highway as much as possible, take I-90 to US 89 in Livingston, MT. Distance is a little greater but travel time is close to the same.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

sclark
Explorer
Explorer
I 90 west to Buffalo then 16 over the Bighorns to Cody Wyoming. Take East entrance to the park. Enjoy your trip.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator