cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best route to avoid tolls - Washington DC to Atlantic City?

kelvingrove
Explorer
Explorer
We will be visiting Washington DC and then heading to Atlantic City NJ with our 34' travel trailer. We are hoping to avoid tolls along the way. Can you please suggest the best route?

If it is really inconvenient to avoid tolls, can someone please advise me on the best route and the approximate cost of the entire route in toll costs? (double axle on TT)

Thanks!

-I should add that we want to avoid "no propane tunnels" as well as low clearances and any other restrictions.
3 REPLIES 3

kelvingrove
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies.. very helpful!

If I do concede and take a toll route, what is the approximate cost of my journey from Washington DC (actually College Park MD) to Atlantic City?

Many thanks!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
From an old post -- the return trip you may want to go thru/around Philly to avoid the DMB South bound then back to the directions:

Busskipper wrote:
Campin LI wrote:
Thank you very much for all this great information. Now to trip planning. Thanks again.

Map of the Eastern Shore Route;

Busskipper wrote:
From an earlier post, will give you one alternative,

Busskipper wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
One more option around Baltimore that we always use;

Directions around Baltimore using Marylandโ€™s Eastern Shore from the Delaware Memorial Bridge. IMHO avoid all cities during Rush Hour + Travel time 9:30 โ€“ 3:00 and always check for construction.

Printed directions

From I-95 or I-295
On I-95 South -- to Exit 4A Rt 1/7 Christiana Rd -- South -- 4 +- miles
Merge into Rt 13/1 South -- 5+- miles over Chesapeake and Delaware Canal
Exit 148 right lane immediately after CDC Bridge this will loop under the Bridge to
Rt 13 South -- 3+- miles to
Right turn on Rt 896 West -- 3+- miles to
Left on Rt 301 South This will take you over the Bay Bridge (No Toll) to Annapolis you can continue on Rt 301 South or take Rt 50 to Washington DC and I-95

This will get you around Baltimore is a very pleasant drive on MD's Eastern Shore -- stay 9 over the speed limit Max and you will be fine.

After driving up to my Son's college for five years in NJ I found this is one of the most pleasant drives around. (4 years for him 1 year for his friends)

Hope this is of some help,

From an earlier post, will give you one alternative,

Saves money and time -- and is so much less stress!

BOL,

BOL,

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
North on I 95 and western 695 loop around Baltimore. Alternate is to stay west at toward I70 and use local streets to US1. US1 north of Baltimore to Newark, DE. Get on 295 and cross Delaware Memorial Bridge (eastbound no toll). Once in NJ, US40 to Atlantic City. Not fast, but doable. Get a good map like Streets and Trips or something similar and take a bit of time to plan it out. With a map and the Internet, it's not a difficult chore.

With all the greedy State Governments raising tolls as fast as they can, this is getting to be a real issue. Maryland just raised their tolls almost double on their bridges, tunnels, and roads. We'll be unhooking toad and rig to cross the Bay Bridge, and save a bundle, so these fools will soon start to realize that their net may go up, but it won't increase the way they think. Truckers are the group that gets hit hardest, and everyone will suffer due to these price increases. There ain't no free lunch, but these clowns sure think they can get blood from a stone.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus