cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billings Montana to Great Falls via Neihart MT ?????

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
We have a 36 foot 5th wheel.

From Billings Montana to Great Falls Montana my GPS wants to send me by way of Highway 191 to Moore Montana and then Highway 87 to Great Falls.

Why not take US Highway 89 through Neihart MT????? which I think is a more scenic route. Are the mountains to steep for my 5th wheel?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
4 REPLIES 4

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just plugged it into Google Maps:
- Suggested Route: 219 miles
- Your suggestion: 231 miles

Unless you have some sort of RV specific routing, it's assuming a passenger car that will typically hold to the speed limit, so fewer miles is faster and less fuel burn.

I've never seen a routing that considers scenery and most don't consider hills or curves.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
What are your route settings on your GPS?

I have an old Garmin 270 (?) and use BaseCamp set for RV to do my planning.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What are your route settings on your GPS? I have been both ways. US 89 is more scenic to me but much slower for us!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove 89 throug Neihart some 20 years ago. I thought it was a nice scenic interval in an otherwise flat and open route. But I was in a SUV, so can't say whether it's too steep/curvy for an RV. Google maps has tools to explore that yourself - zoom, streetview, even the bike routing gradients.

Routing progams don't choose by easiest - unless you have some sort of rv/truck option. Usually the choice is based on time - distance and estimated speed. Sometimes a mountainous route may have a slower estimated speed, but I think that's more based on road type than some sort curve or gradient measure. The route through via 89 is both longer and shorter.

Atleast on a full computer interface it's easy to explore alternative routes - just drag a point.

(The gradient option for bikes isn't much help here; it recommends something totally different, using a lots of local roads rather than the main highways.)

Kings Hill Scenic Byway