cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking in Mexico

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
This is a request for USEFUL tips on appropriate places to dry camp on our way down from Laredo to Yucatan. I would appreciate if those who would not be caught dead (pun intended) RV'ing in Mexico would refrain from commenting on this thread. I know how you feel about Mexico and I'm not interested in hearing about it. Thanks.

For those of you who have boondocked, please feel free to elaborate on your thoughts. This is not so much a sight-seeing trip, although we will stop if a place seems interesting. We are relocating with our two dogs and cat and will pretty much be focused on getting there fairly quickly. We would be willing to pull into a motel parking lot and even pay for a room, if that is the best place to park. We are not interested in camping grounds on this trip. That will be for later excursions.

Our route: Laredo to Saltillo to San Luis Potosi to Puebla to Yucatan
We want to be on good toll roads as much as possible to make the best time. Have ordered maps from Mexico Mike, which look pretty easy to follow. Thanks for any help and advice. John
22 REPLIES 22

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone for your suggestions - all good ones.

jb

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The idiots that jacked the two rigs near Cuidad Victoria several years ago learned that in a hurry qtla9111. Dumber and Dumbest...but it had to happen I guess so word could pass quickly among the double digit IQ criminal element that it is a real loser.

Petty theft IS an issue. But a cable and padlock through jerry cans and a spare solves that. Boondock theft seems to be limited to the lightest touch, grab and scamper. Common sense negates that. I had ice chests and chairs stolen while I siesta'ed on the USA side of the border. Too bad the ice chest had a bad crack in it and one chair collapsed when any weight was put on it.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I think that was my point. You can park just about anywhere. Of course, common sense comes into play. The Parador San Pedro is excellent, well located, and about halfway. The Imperial Hotel in Saltillo has become an eye-poker in terms of price and has reduced its rv spaces to less than half. There is one other hotel in Saltillo which has overflow boondocking, I think it is calle El Oasis for 150 pesos.

There is another parador at the toll booth entering the state of SLP. In terms of safe, what is safe anyway? It's like in any rv park, state park, national park, U.S. boondocking, anything can happen. Chances of it happening, slim to none.

People need to get over the cartel thing, we have no stats, no stories, and who would want an rv anyway. What would you do with the damn thing. If people aren't interested or afraid, stay home. I live in a beautiful city that has been destroyed by the media. No tourist has ever been harmed, murdered or killed yet everyone says, "stay away from Monterrey, bypass Monterrey, drive all the way around Timbuktu but don't drive through Monterrey. People have no idea of what they are missing. Shame on the media and the government for publishing such trash. Monterrey isn't any different than Los Angeles, except here they are after each other, not innocent people. As much as I hate the expression, "enough said".
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
GOING INTO A RV PARK

"Honey I think the turnoff was back there"

"Where?"

"The Church Book says look for the big supermarket"

"We haven't passed any supermarkets"

"Oh look there is a Commercial Mexicana way up the road"

"You can't turn left here"

"What does the book say?"

"It sure has hell doesn't say anything about this construction zone"

(an hour later)

"Can we clear the arch?"

"More to the right MORE TO THE RIGHT!"

"The office door is locked but the sign says 'abierto'"

"This woman is explaining something but it;s in Spanish"

"OK the owner is coming back from the bank"

"Way back there?"

"No! No! No! You have to swing out really really wide"

"What'dya mean there's no power or water at the pedestal?"

This is not a good way to travel fast. I have to do it all the time and over a five day trip an hour an a half lost each day adds up. Much faster in a van or camper, but in a camioneta con casarodante ni modo.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Chris: Don't be so sensitive. Because these folks are MOVING I just thought that maybe they had a whole bunch of items that were outside the rig. I wouldn't boondock NOB with items outside.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is yust over 12' feet high, I have a good 35' foot tape, the ones that do not flex easy when extended and if I have a doubt about the height of an "arch or entrance" I get out and meashure before I turn in the drive way, that way I do not have to unhook the dinggy and back up.

When you get off the main roads and into the streets off the small towns, keep a constant skan HORIZONTALLY and also VERTICALLY, low tree branches and sometimes electrical wires.

The horizontal skan is for pedestrians that dart across in the middle of the street and bicycles that want to share your space no matter what may happen.

Buen viaje caminante

navegator

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Unless I missed something you have not stated your type of rig. If you have anything that is attached to the outside of your rig or in a pickup bed I would not recommend boondocking. You are a target for thieves if your rig looks like something from The Grapes of Wrath. Toll both areas also are a good safe overnight spot. Armed guards!
Moisheh

Sorry, Moisheh, we drive a 2004 P-W Excel. The only thing attached will be a locked cargo box. We have two dogs that will bark like crazy if anyone approaches. Hopefully, that would deter anyone up to no good.

I haven't figured out how to get the name of our rig to automatically populate at the end of the posts. ???

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Unless I missed something you have not stated your type of rig. If you have anything that is attached to the outside of your rig or in a pickup bed I would not recommend boondocking. You are a target for thieves if your rig looks like something from The Grapes of Wrath. Toll both areas also are a good safe overnight spot. Armed guards!
Moisheh

Tried Toll booths ONCE. If it is a main road too noisy, had to move to get some sleep. I am always cautious North & South of the border when I stop for the evening. Doesn't matter if I am hauling cr*p in the bed of my truck or pulling a toad. People like to go shopping after dark no matter where you are! A nice secure motel or campground is a cheap investment.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Wow, I guess our rig looks like Grapes of Wrath. Never have had anything stolen or damaged. Different strokes for different folks. We park pretty much wherever we want.

Ah, we have seen pics of your rig. No way do you look like the Grapes of Wrath. Nice rig that anyone would love to have.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, I guess our rig looks like Grapes of Wrath. Never have had anything stolen or damaged. Different strokes for different folks. We park pretty much wherever we want.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
tepetapan wrote:
I guess mentioning to hit a few RV parks along the way would be in poor taste. It's not like they could use the money or anything like that.

I would be fine with that if they are not too far off the cuotas, but as I said, this is not a leisurely trip and we plan on dry camping only. We are moving to Mexico, permanently. We have had and will continue to have many opportunities to contribute to the economy, including Mexican RV parks, once we have settled in our home and start traveling a bit.
Additionally, I have heard that the RV parks fill up quickly in the fall.

I appreciate your concern for the RV park owners, but you could have mentioned it in a less snarky way. We are sensitive to the economic issues of many Mexican nationals and generally try to shop with local merchants as opposed to Walmart and Costco.

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
I guess mentioning to hit a few RV parks along the way would be in poor taste. It's not like they could use the money or anything like that.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
24 hour gasolineras are a good bet but park where it is lit and I buy a couple of the night crew a Coca Cola so they take more of an interest. Don't park where it is dark, and don't leave anything loose in the pickup bed or side hatch doors unlocked. Having a dog alarm works.

Ask a gasolinista where the closest BALNEARIO is. Most of these places bend over backward to accommodate tourists. I carried a plastic pipe when coupled together equaled the ultimate height of the rig plus a few inches to spare. Sure made clearing "Arcos" and trees more sure.