cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Border Crossing Headed To Alaska

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
Currently planning trip to Alaska for May 2022. Checked with Canadian Border control today and was informed we could not cross border going to Alaska unless we were essential travel. As in do we live are work in Alaska. As many years that I attempted to live or work there, never made it. Now we want to go back for our third trip and are told, Sorry can't do that.... and here we thought the border was "open". We are fully vac and meet all other requirements to cross. Have I missed something somewhere?
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kinda early to be making firm decisions for border crossings in 2022. Who knows what the situation will be by then?

Safe to advise, if you are not vaccinated, get vaccinated, otherwise you might be facing a whole heap of restrictions to comply with.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
Sidehillsoup;
The number called was:800-461-9999. Called again yesterday, different lady who gave the information as we have been discussing. Not a big deal right now. Just want to be ready next spring.
Totally agree with you about taking your time to see the beauty of BC. We try very hard to see and appreciate it. And we have met some amazing people on the road through Canada. Both Canadian and American. As with anywhere a few we just as soon miss next time.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Ol'coot wrote:
The lady was very firm in stating no non-essential travel through Canada to Alaska.
Everything stated above about meeting the requirements to cross is the way we understood, and met other than the test. But as we all know, things have a habit of changing just as we are ready to travel when it comes to crossing. But we are so ready to go back to Alaska. As Trackrig mentioned, it's up to each border agent as to what they ask. Most of them seem to feel, since we are from Texas, we MUST have guns on board. Sorry, know better than to carry one and NOT report and have proper paperwork....
Thanks to all who took the time to answer. Be safe

I’m still baffled by the “the lady” that told you “no non-essential travel through Canada”
The land boarder was opened on August 9, 2021 to fully vaccinated US Travellers with restrictions. Unless you called the wrong number or wrong Canadian agency, I’m just guessing here.
Yes things could change between now and next year when you want to travel however plan for the trip and just keep an eye on the official Govt of Canada website for updates.
Canada gov site travellers

Us Canucks get asked the same questions about guns as you guys do when crossing the US Boarder.
Both sides will change up the questions and ask a really weird question sometimes just to see if you have the answer. Like when we went to my cousins house just outside of Vancouver Washington a couple years back, and the US boarder agent asked me the address of her house. Told the guy I haven’t got a clue, but I can drive you there, as I’ve been there 50 times in my life. He smiles and said have a nice day.
And take your time driving through BC, it’s bigger than California, Oregon & Washington state put together.
Have a great trip.
Soup.

Camping in southeastern BC.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig gave great advise. Research what you need. When you hit the border have your paperwork filled out: Neat, Complete and Accurate. This demonstrates that you have invested some time and effort, and you are not wasting the officer's time and you respect their rules. Extra copies of everything. Sign forms in front of the officer. Have correct change in the local currency (unless baksheesh is normal), or a CC in civilized areas that will go through on the first try. Don't be the ugly American. Never go though customs drunk, only made that mistake once.

My favorite Canadian question: "Have you ever been fingerprinted?"
Answer: "Yes, losta times for work, that's how they know that I am me."

Don't want gun questions going into Canada? Bring one, I am a hunter, so have a good reason, and the advise on rules and paperwork above. The Canadians are professional and polite, just play by the rules. And have the proper attitude, no griping about the rules, their government, blah, blah. Talk to someone from another country about entering the US, if they are on the USA's fecal roster. Canadians on the whole are some of the nicer people on the planet.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently did the trip down and back through Canada.

I had my shots and the original shot record. Have copies if they want to keep a record of it.

Even though I had my shots, I had to have a covid test within 72 of crossing the boarder both directions. The test is easy to get in Anch, results usually within 3 - 4 hours if you get it first thing in the morning. At the northern boarder area, meaning Tok or Glennallen, there is no place to get the rapid test. Get it in Fbks or Anch.

Coming north, I like to cross in Oroville, WA. A very nice quiet check point. You can get the rapid test in Omak WA at the clinic behind Les Schwab tires, abut 25 miles from the boarder.

Remember, besides your passport, it's up to each boarder agent as to what they will ask for or check - there is no set check list.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Ol'coot wrote:
Most of them seem to feel, since we are from Texas, we MUST have guns on board.

It's not just Texans... every time I cross over from Washington State, they grill me on guns, making a point to ask me several times if I have any guns on me and looking me in the eye to try to see if I'm lying (I guess)

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
The lady was very firm in stating no non-essential travel through Canada to Alaska.
Everything stated above about meeting the requirements to cross is the way we understood, and met other than the test. But as we all know, things have a habit of changing just as we are ready to travel when it comes to crossing. But we are so ready to go back to Alaska. As Trackrig mentioned, it's up to each border agent as to what they ask. Most of them seem to feel, since we are from Texas, we MUST have guns on board. Sorry, know better than to carry one and NOT report and have proper paperwork....
Thanks to all who took the time to answer. Be safe

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
No way to predict whether borders will be open in May 2022 in tiday’s world. Check closer to your departure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently did the trip down and back through Canada.

I had my shots and the original shot record. Have copies if they want to keep a record of it.

Even though I had my shots, I had to have a covid test within 72 of crossing the boarder both directions. The test is easy to get in Anch, results usually within 3 - 4 hours if you get it first thing in the morning. At the northern boarder area, meaning Tok or Glennallen, there is no place to get the rapid test. Get it in Fbks or Anch.

Coming north, I like to cross in Oroville, WA. A very nice quiet check point. You can get the rapid test in Omak WA at the clinic behind Les Schwab tires, abut 25 miles from the boarder.

Remember, besides your passport, it's up to each boarder agent as to what they will ask for or check - there is no set check list.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Aug 9 iirc the border opened. But not for Canadians.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know who you were talking to, but they must have been on days off for the last couple of months. The Canadian land boarder is open to USA travellers with restrictions
Scroll down to land travel in the link below.

I’ve seen vehicles from New York, Alaska, AZ, Colorado you name the state it it’s driving up here.
Hope you have a fantastic trip

Driving into Canada Covid Sept 2021.

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping things change by early 2022. I live in the US, on the Canadian border, and there is a crossing within 2 miles of me. Eventhough allowed, current restrictions are still too bothersome for casual travel back and forth; in my opinion. Still not much recreational travel to Canada happening here. Mostly folks with family in both countries.
2014 Allegro 36LA

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
You can enter Canada as "non-essential travelers" at this time. I did it this month. Who knows what it will be like in May '22!

You go online and download the ArriveCan app, fill it in, provide photos of your passports and your covid cards, get a negative test, and you will be approved to enter Canada. Where you go after that they don't ask. When you enter the US at Alaska you do that simply by right of entry.

The catch is that all that, both filling in the App and getting the test, has to be done LESS than 72 hours prior to your intended entry. And you have to do it again when you return. So really there is nothing you can do about it now, you'll have to start your planning maybe in April. Plenty of time for the rules to change!