Explorer
Explorer
US border will remain closed again
152 REPLIES 152

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Mexicoruss wrote:
I think it is a political strong arm thing myself.

It is truly looking that way. Even worse, as the "pandemic" rapidly wanes (as it is presently, new infections dropping off steeply across the most vaccinated nations of the World), it is looking more like a war measure, rather than a (the) pandemic emergency measure.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh wrote:
I don't think the caravan companies can transport vehicles from Canada to the USA. They may need to be a licensed DOT carrier. The driver would need a CDL

.....Moisheh, those "vehicles" under our context as returning tourists in transit are not for re-sale in the US. They are privately and wholly-owned by Canadians "in transit back home".
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

That is incredibly interesting (and, extremely worrying). So, no equivalency exists for virtually anyone with a driver's license and a US passport to simply drive an RV (or, a car for that matter) across the Mexican border into the US for a Canadian (or, Mexican) friend, or relative for said relative(s) to retrieve later in the US (or simply acting as a good Samaritan) ? Just to be clear: not importing a vehicle for later sale and/or permanent entry into the US.

In Canada, virtually anyone legally allowed into the US (presently, only returning US nationals, or dual citizens; previously to the pandemic, all Canadian citizens) and holding a valid driver's license can drive an RV rig (or passenger car) across the US border for say, an elderly relative heading down to snowbird; or a friend simply wanting their vehicle driven across the border for later pick up by the Canadian RV or vehicle owner(s). So, the USMC agreement isn't about the free flow of goods and services entre Mexico / Canada / US at all; there exists absolutely no uniformity of application as the EU presently enjoys.

Now I am starting to understand the broken system of reciprocity here at play. There is in effect no free flow of goods and services, and tourism between Mexico / US and Canada. The USMCA is essentially a sham purporting to be genuine. This would explain entirely this log-jam under the guise of a (post-vaccine!) pandemic. Anyone else care to venture thoughts? Does this sound like logical thought on my part?
Silver

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the caravan companies can transport vehicles from Canada to the USA. They may need to be a licensed DOT carrier. The driver would need a CDL
It is complicated as technically you are sort of importing the unit. There is paperwork associated with the import as well as rules. No food is allowed. Trailers may be different as they are not motor vehicles. One should ensure you are using a reputable service. Arriving at the border with incomplete or incorrect paperwork can result in a huge penalty. Isn't this fun?

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
silversand wrote:
Moisheh wrote:
He suggested finding a good field near Emerson and "drive it like you stole it". I replied that I do not want to make license plates in my dying days

LOL! :B

But the flat-bed towing scenarios sound very interesting.

I still wonder if RV caravan Mexico outfits have a solution worked out for Canadians wanting to traverse the US from Mexico ? Hmmmmm.....

There is no solution for Canadians in Mexico who want to land cross into the USA. Our RV Canadian market is gone as of March 2020. Our USA market is super strong though. I know of a couple of Canadian women here in Penasco that needed to get back to Canada for some kind of emergency, they could not land cross, so they took the bus to Mexicali and flew home, then a few weeks later came back to Penasco not planning to leave again until the blockage is over. I think it is a political strong arm thing myself.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
A family member can drive the vehicle as long as the owner is present, that has not changed and getting caught means the unit will be confiscated, that is still the law.

navegator

Talleyho69
Whoever thought that the biggest hurdles would become entering the US from Canada and Mexico.....

Our local "expert" should be weighing in soon on the legal ins and outs of transporting vehicles from Mexico into the US. He does this and knows the legalities.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh wrote:
He suggested finding a good field near Emerson and "drive it like you stole it". I replied that I do not want to make license plates in my dying days

LOL! :B

But the flat-bed towing scenarios sound very interesting.

I still wonder if RV caravan Mexico outfits have a solution worked out for Canadians wanting to traverse the US from Mexico ? Hmmmmm.....
Silver

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Other than a family member driving your rig from Mexico to the USA is a grey area. First you would have to contact your Mexican Insurance company for clarification
Policies may have changed but at one time if an outsider was driving you had to be present. I have had many dealings with Mexican Auto insurance. Both for myself and on behalf of friends. Negotiations require a bottle of Valiums. They will look for a reason not to pay if the claim is out of the ordinary. I think most rv owners are assuming the restrictions will be gone by spring. Who Knows. I do have a plan B. It is complicated.
I know a towing company in Nogales,Sonora. When I was planning on only talking my truck he would flat deck the truck to Tucson. I would drive the truck to Nogales Sonora and bus or shuttle back to HMO and fly to Tucson. A real pia. Complicated and expensive. One of my buddies keeps teasing me. He suggested finding a good field near Emerson and "drive it like you stole it". I replied that I do not want to make license plates in my dying days . BTW: The tow truck could take a travel trailer on the deck and the tow vehicle behind. Life can sure be complicated.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....just thinking aloud.....I will bet that Mexico RV caravan operators have a way of driving Canadian RV rigs from Mexico-side, back into the US for Canadian RVers, so that Canadians can meet their RVs at a border airport when returning home from Mexico :@
Silver

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
MAX-Aviation flying out of St Hubert Airport (a couple of miles from Montreal) are jam packed solid with Quebec passengers flying just across the border to meet their RV rigs. Pets can fly with owners for $50. But if the pet is over 30LBS, you have to pay a full fare ticket ($550 CAD). They are starting new expanded schedule of flights across the border October 15th (and November and December).

here-->

I think these guys have been hammering away for maybe a year now bringing Canadians into the US to meet their cars and/or RVs.
Silver

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....because this is an RVing in Mexico/Latin America Forum, of course any Canadian driving across the US for the purposes of RVing in Mexico (or, further south) will need a return service that will drive their rig(s) from Mexico border, into the US, to meet the Canadian owner (at say, an airport in Brownsville, El Paso, San Diego, Yuma).

But no ideas what the rules are in Mexico having a non owner of an RV rig driving said rig in Mexico TO the border crossing? Anyone? A Mexican notarized permission letter? The real owner's registration and insurance documents? A specific third driver insurance ?
Silver

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning all:

...on the topic of "how do transport companies transport your RV from Canada into the US"....my understanding is thus:

....either the Canadian owner of the RV drives the rig to the shipping company's facility for loading onto some genre of "carrier" (see Moisheh's post), or, the Canadian RV owner contracts an RV shipping company with bonded drivers....the bonded driver(s) will literally drive your rig into the US to a destination very close across the border (a large or small airport capable of receiving inbound passenger aircraft from Canada).

If you have to deliver your rig to a shipping company, you obviously will need a second vehicle to get home afterward, and to drive yourself to the airport for the quick flight into the US (or a relative or friend can drive you).

According to some sources I read, the shipping company will give you a list of items in advance that are not allowed to accompany your rig into the US (like booze, some foods, etc).

One Quebec RV shipping company will line up your shipped RVs along the airport tarmac, ready for you to jump into when you get off the small hopper aircraft (a 15 minute flight to Plattsburgh, NY's airport). The aircraft are usually chartered by the shipping company, and fly out of a small airport on the south shore near Montreal (St Hubert Airport). The aircraft I saw looked like a single prop 8 seater.

As far as having a US national come across into Canada to drive your rig across into the US....it appears that anyone can do this. According to the US CBP article entitled: Taking - bringing a car - vehicle into or out of the U.S. that belongs to a friend, relative, rental company here-->
Silver

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Canadian friend just shipped his RV I across border. He flew from Abetsford to Bellingham retrieved his RV and is headed to visit us, on his way to Florida for winter.
Since the pandemic we will miss our second winter south of the border since 2003.
No more RVing though we will be renting a house instead. Many of my friends have started doing the same.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:
There have been lots of news articles about services taking RV's across the border (say to Buffalo NY) while their owners take a helicopter or plane to Buffalo and then drive their RV to the southern US.

Here is a link that gives various options for cars and RV's.

https://www.snowbirdadvisor.ca/how-canadian-snowbirds-are-getting-their-vehicles-across-us-border-while-its-closed

When Spring comes around and the USA border is still closed to non-citizens, I'll take your rigs north into the USA.