cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband in Neuvo Progreso Mx

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
We sponsor two girls from a family in Neuvo Progeso so they can go to school.

We are looking to provide them inexpensive internet access.

Was wondering if anyone knows of an internet usb stick and service that we could purchase on this side of the border in the Weslaco area that would still work in Progreso?

or any other viable alternative...

thanks
26 REPLIES 26

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
keelhauler1 wrote:
One word of warning that many stick users forget to do. After you put the money in the account you need to select a plan, like bajo30, medio30 or alto30. If you do not do this step, you will be charged at a high daily rate and you will burn up all your funds in less than two weeks.

Thank you keelhauler1...that is very good advice. I don't know exactly what our family did when they went to Rio Bravo to get the stick and the service in March. I just know it is not working now.

keelhauler1
Explorer
Explorer
One word of warning that many stick users forget to do. After you put the money in the account you need to select a plan, like bajo30, medio30 or alto30. If you do not do this step, you will be charged at a high daily rate and you will burn up all your funds in less than two weeks.
John

All my Mexico Trips
-------------------------------------------

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
TelCel has proven more usable for me. Carlos Slime Helu's company has a broader coverage range throughout Mexico. I have been in fringe suburban areas where 5 bars of TelCel were the norm and 1 bar of MoviStar was the best I could get.

I placed a Zip-Loc bag over top the Banda Ancha stick and zip tied it. The local tienda de telas store (fabrics) sold me a swatch pair of Velcro pads which I glued to the window pane, then the mate to the Zip-Loc. Weather proof and clean. Do not use dielectric grease on any of the USB connections for protection. Kills signal strength.

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
In the Reynosa, Matamoros, Laredo border areas, the signal for both Movistar and Telcel is excellent. There are no issues with that. I work in that area and have never had an issue. I still think the expense is going to be a killer because it is difficult to teach anyone especially children or teenagers how to control their usage. They will be downloading everything imaginable; videos, pictures, documents for school, etc.

Thank you for the response, but this girl is the exception. We have had the discussion about what she does online, she only uses facebook, one of the reasons being that she is standing outside of the Dentist's house using her tablet. We can see when she is online or not.

Thanks for the info about signal strength...but if we try and get the stick working again, for a very small cost, I will use the amplified cable and get the stick outside the concrete walls.

I assume you are using a stick? if so Movistar or Telcel? Which do you consider best value for the money?...the family has to go to Rio Bravo from Neuvo Progreso to arrange data for the stick.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
In the Reynosa, Matamoros, Laredo border areas, the signal for both Movistar and Telcel is excellent. There are no issues with that. I work in that area and have never had an issue. I still think the expense is going to be a killer because it is difficult to teach anyone especially children or teenagers how to control their usage. They will be downloading everything imaginable; videos, pictures, documents for school, etc.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
We use a cable similar to what MEXICOWANDERER links to above - I use a couple of PVC pipes to make a mast and put our stick in a plastic jar on top of the mast to give me altitude and to be clear and unobstructed - this helps in some situations(keep in mind that lightning could fry the stick but probably not). When you go down there you might take a Verizon or T-mobile or whatever from the states (if you know someone who has one and will lend it?)and carry it with you over the border to where the girls live to see if you can pick up signals from the US. If you are close enough to the border it is possible. New technology has signals going further and further - depends on what kind of signal the tower is sending out in that are (Weslaco or nearby?). May or may not be stronger than Telcel depending on location of towers - distance to user. Many factors so probably no simple answer.

Thank you both MEXICOWANDERER AND biansue...When we go in March, if I cannot find a better alternative, I will certainly get one of these usb cables, and extend it outside with a cover for the stick. The price is cheap but the results would most likely be much improved, which would make our family very happy. The more we get to chart with Karelly the better we like it. I may also look into getting a router that works with the Telcel stick, so that Karelly can use her tablet in the house via wifi. I tried a software solution last March, but that did not work so well.

Thanks again.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We use a cable similar to what MEXICOWANDERER links to above - I use a couple of PVC pipes to make a mast and put our stick in a plastic jar on top of the mast to give me altitude and to be clear and unobstructed - this helps in some situations(keep in mind that lightning could fry the stick but probably not). When you go down there you might take a Verizon or T-mobile or whatever from the states (if you know someone who has one and will lend it?)and carry it with you over the border to where the girls live to see if you can pick up signals from the US. If you are close enough to the border it is possible. New technology has signals going further and further - depends on what kind of signal the tower is sending out in that are (Weslaco or nearby?). May or may not be stronger than Telcel depending on location of towers - distance to user. Many factors so probably no simple answer.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an example of a long AMPLIFIED USB extension cable. Note the word AMPLIFIED. It is crucial that an amplifier be employed in a long cable extension...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30FT-USB-2-0-Active-Repeater-Booster-Amplified-Male-to-Female-Extension-Cabl...

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Reality check, Mexico.

Cities, tourist hotspots, and wealthier regions of Mexico have good Infinitum TelMex service. Rural areas like where I am, have service so bad they would not last two weeks in the USA without getting sued by class action suit and fined by the FCC for fraudulent service.

Banda Ancha quality (speed and reliability) for TelCel USB sticks, has exactly the same variance. Some areas are decent, other areas are less than marginal. I have never heard of someone using a non TelCel "Banda Ancha" USB as TelCel provides them (sells) it with the service.

TIP: Wherever and whatever the stick MUST have a line of sight view of the cell tower broadcasting Banda Ancha. I use amplified USB extension cables and place the Banda Ancha stick inside a window looking directly at the tower. The stick refuses to work when the signal has to pass through a thick concrete wall.

Hope this helps

Thank you MEXICOWANDERER You make some excellent points, perhaps that is why the family often say they are having internet problems when we got them the stick and service from Telcel previously. As Neuvo Progreso can in no way be considered a City, that may explain it.

This is good information for us to have, and we go back in March will have to look for the tower(s).

It is so hard when we don't speak Spanish, and although we are trying, it does not come fast enough or complete enough for us to function well with internet vendors etc. That's why I was hoping something from the US side would function.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Reality check, Mexico.

Cities, tourist hotspots, and wealthier regions of Mexico have good Infinitum TelMex service. Rural areas like where I am, have service so bad they would not last two weeks in the USA without getting sued by class action suit and fined by the FCC for fraudulent service.

Banda Ancha quality (speed and reliability) for TelCel USB sticks, has exactly the same variance. Some areas are decent, other areas are less than marginal. I have never heard of someone using a non TelCel "Banda Ancha" USB as TelCel provides them (sells) it with the service.

TIP: Wherever and whatever the stick MUST have a line of sight view of the cell tower broadcasting Banda Ancha. I use amplified USB extension cables and place the Banda Ancha stick inside a window looking directly at the tower. The stick refuses to work when the signal has to pass through a thick concrete wall.

Hope this helps

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case any of you want to see what you are trying to help...here is a link to my blog from March.

http://texastrip2014.blogspot.ca/

as well as a slideshow from previous years. The blog runs from last in April backwards to the beginning.

We walk over the bridge ourselves, or we go with a nun and a couple that help her. The nun and the couple go over three times a week to help the needy families and to ensure as many kids as possible go to school so they are not begging on the streets. It is working as a lot of kids get sponsored.

Our family is living in a house which had been shot up by the cartel, and which they are not really supposed to be living in at this point, as their dentist friend who lives kiddie corner in his own house arranged it as temporary quarters for them, as they had to live their shack, as the owner wanted it back. Karelly uses the dentist wifi and stands outside.

The owner of this upscale development had great plans for it, but his two daughters got shot, so he basically abandoned it. There are only about 6 or 7 houses, but all the streets are paved, with water lines and electricity in. Apparently he lives somewhere in the US now, but no one really seems to know where.

Our goal is to try and get Educational Visas for the girls, so they can be educated further on the US side, so they have every chance in life to be whatever they want to be. Mom encourages that!

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
keelhauler1 wrote:
You signup at mitelcel.com
You use yje account phone number but you need access to the computer when you do this since they send you a temporary password via a text message and you then finish signing up for the the account.
Service cost - Internet Bajo 1 GB/month 30 dias $299.00 pesos or about $23 USD. If they need more GB it's because they are streaming movies.
You add a credit card to the account which does not need to be saved so can't be used by anyone.

keelhauler1...thanks again...We could manage $23 US per month as an option...and 1 GB would be plenty the way they use it. Sure wish Telcel had their site designed both in English and Spanish Though. I will see what I can do again with Google translate.

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
I know it's not what you're looking for, but a landline is the easiest, most effective and efficient and least expensive way to go. The girls would have unlimited access from home as well as places that offer wifi where Telmex has service. I use my account in Starbucks, Airports, universities, etc.

gtla9111...It may not have been what I WAS looking for, but it is certainly an option that I will look into. If I can manage to get that accomplished that would certainly do the trick for them.

thanks again for the help...

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I know it's not what you're looking for, but a landline is the easiest, most effective and efficient and least expensive way to go. The girls would have unlimited access from home as well as places that offer wifi where Telmex has service. I use my account in Starbucks, Airports, universities, etc.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog