cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell Phone Service along Alaska Highway

weasel4
Explorer
Explorer
It appears Cell service may be available along the highway by next year.

News Release
19 REPLIES 19

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I must admit, I was quite uncomfortable to have no cell phone service from the Saskatchewan border to Churchill, Manitoba last summer. I had just turned in my last non gsm phone and Manitoba Bell was a late adopter of GSM.

There was also well over 100 miles with no fuel between Hudson's Bay, SK and The Pas, MB.

It is amazing to me how dependent I've become on the secure feeling I have with having the ability to call for help, if need be. In 15 years I've only had to call 3 times--but I felt very stressed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's getting ugly early.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
How did we ever get by without cellphones?

Same as I do now...there's no cell service at our cabin in the bush near the Alaska Highway. Guess we might get it with this infrastructure install.

That will make folks who visit here happier. Last summer had a family stay for a month; one of the teen boys went through major withdrawal and wanted to visit Whitehorse often so he could check in with his friends back home on Vancouver Island.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will also be interesting to see how many people simply cannot bear to be disconnected for even a few days, & will pay anything to be able to use that phone which has become permanently attached to them.

They will also moan about the high roaming rate they get charged for their hours of idle chatter.

How did we ever get by without cellphones?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
It will certainly be interesting to see what it will cost to use those towers.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live