cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Central Fl to Seattle area

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Fl the last week of Apr and need to be in Seattle area by last week of May. MS S&T 2013 shows northern Rt and I am concerned about weather problems during that time range. Allowing a month just in case.

From MS S&T 2013:

And from Garmin Base Camp: Base Camp is frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL
14 REPLIES 14

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
From UT depending on the weather I would go to Grand Lake CO for RMNP and then to Jackson Hole/Tetons. By then the south entrance into Yellowstone should be open. Yes, it adds 1000 miles to your trip but I can always go back to these areas.
Probably not a great route for the OP in May, since Trail Ridge Road in RMNP never opens before Memorial Day due to the 20-30' snow drifts over the road until the plows finally clear it.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

dedmiston
Our kids went to college in Wyoming and they got snow every year during finals week in May. We got snowed in and the highways were closed for graduation. It's predictably unpredictable up there that time of year.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The default routing option is fastest, or maybe shortest. Nothing about best weather or 'best' as another RVer would choose.

The slightly curved line looks like shortest as a plane flies.

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies!!

Any ideas why Garmin did the route that way?

Thanks
DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I would head west on the 20 or 40 then turn north once I got over the mountains. The mid west is never a sure thing weather wise in Spring.

We use to go the opposite way, from Arizona to Ottawa. Go east all the way to Atlanta then turn north. Spring weather is always tricky.

P.S.

South of I-40 all campgrounds are open year round.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
ppine wrote:
There can be snow in the Rockies but by May 1 it does not last long. The passes are the main concern. Watch the weather and you will be fine. The worst that happens is you might have to wait a day.

Just checked the spring long range forecast and Accuweather and Intellecast both have snow thru MT down into WY and CO and across into the Dakotas. How accurate this will be won't be known until summer of course. I saw another one that was calling for deliteful warm weather in the same area. So YMMV. Did not check the official weather bureua since that calls for global warming no matter what.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Should be a nice trip, weather sure won't be too hot, but winds on the flat lands might a bother.

Don't forget to check back and let us know how it went.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There can be snow in the Rockies but by May 1 it does not last long. The passes are the main concern. Watch the weather and you will be fine. The worst that happens is you might have to wait a day.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you have a month to get there and Paulj, I'm pretty sure he's concerned about snow that early. I would suggest heading to Utah and seeing that area at the best time...before it gets HOT. You could include the Grand Canyon...maybe even the N Rim which I prefer.

From UT depending on the weather I would go to Grand Lake CO for RMNP and then to Jackson Hole/Tetons. By then the south entrance into Yellowstone should be open. Yes, it adds 1000 miles to your trip but I can always go back to these areas.

If a thousand extra is an issue then I'd take I-70 past Grand Junction and then I-15 and I-84 which adds 200 extra miles.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The main difference that we make in that route is to go a little further north and cross the Mississippi at Iowa rather than go thru St Louis, which we avoid at all costs.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the route(s) is freeway, and the logical shortest/fastest.

One exception is US212 from South Dakota to Montana. That cuts a corner that I90 takes. That choice has come up often on this board. 212 is a little faster, by about an hour, but more remote. If you are at all uncomfortable taking it, stick with I90. There's nothing wrong with that choice. Sights in this area include Black Hills and Devils Tower.

Google Maps gives several alternatives, and lets you tweak the routes. This route and an alternative using I80/84/82 have about the same distance and time.

With a month, the direct fastest time isn't important.

I don't think driving weather will be problem, at least not with snow. Storms across the Plains might add some excitement. Campgrounds, though, might not be open. You'll have to check around. Opening dates for Yellowstone give you an idea of what's available above 7000 ft.

Switching to I40 across NM and AZ, and then north through Nevada or eastern CA only adds 500 miles. There might be more open camping that way.

Think of this route as a rubberband between the two corners of the country. You can stretch it quite bit either side of the direct route (the third map) without it breaking.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Just use google maps it will give you several options. Driving across the great plains gets boring after a few trips but it does give respect to our pioneer forefathers toughness.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I-90 route you may hit a snow storm early in the year, but it will not hold you up more than a day. I-90 is by far the lowest route. and least likely to get snow this time of year.

Just stay out of California. It's 55 or pay big fines
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
What weather problems are you worried about? Hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards?