Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Central Nevada highway question

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello.
We've been thru Winnemucca NV many times on our way south thru Tonopah and Vegas. This time however I would like to head SSW thru Panaca towards St George/Kanab UT. This takes us on State Hwy 305 thru Austin/Eureka or 278 thru Eureka, then US 50/93 thru Panaca/St George to Flagstaff. I'm just looking for someone who has been on these roads and who can report on their condition. These are obviously less traveled roads and the center of NV is pretty desolate! We're hauling a 34' Fifth Wheel.
Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much to everyone who took the time to respond. We're getting outa here this week before some weather comes thru. I'm looking forward to seeing that part of Nevada.
I can get 300+ miles on my 35gal diesel tank so I should be OK if I fill up every chance I get.
Loaded & ready to hit the road. Thanks again. Happy Trails!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When chains are required, you must install a set of "drag" chains on the furthest back braking axle.
This is from ODOT, Caltrans is similar, but could not find it.Chain placement

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
akrv mentioned drag chains. I was curious and looked it up -- there are two kinds -- the kind that drags on the road to get rid of static electricity, and tire chains for trailers. Which one did you mean? Thanks.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
There's an old saying, "If it's snowing, I ain't going"

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Good route, just higher elevations with colder/freezing temps and snow sometime this time of year. We were suppose to drive this route earlier in Oct but weather forecast was for snow flurries and freeze.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I have never chained up in Nv.

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
State 305 & 278 are 2 lane 12' no shoulder roads been three or four years since I have driven. Top off fuel on I-80 before heading south hope you can get to Ely before needing fuel.Highway 50 is fuel prices will shock you.Out of Ely I take 50 to 487 to 21 and get I-15 at Beaver go to 20 and cross over to 89 and take 89 to Flagstaff. Most of the state hwy's in NV. & UT. do not have snowplows after dark. Also carry chains NV , UT & AZ want you to have drag chains on your trailer.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive on the top half of your tank. Most roads are not fenced so be careful of a black cow on black pavement on a black night kind of thing. And US 50 is advertised as the 'loneliest road' but it really isn't. Just remember to fuel before evening as not every fueling station is open all night. Rural Nevada people are generally nice and helpful.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
There are no bad highways in Nv.

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Never pass fuel. Fill up every chance. Love that landscape !

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed the Nevada highways, there are some rest areas which have no services to speak of but are nice to spend the night in. Lots of scenery and no problems with traffic. As the above post noted, watch the weather and keep your fuel level up.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 50 from Austin to Ely is known as the loneliest highway. Watch your fuel! Highway has it's ups and downs across several valleys.
Most of the highways are good two lanes with some passing lanes.
Watch the weather!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker