cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clearance lights regulation

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
My son gave us a wireless camera for our fiver. He installed it by removing the middle light of my 3 clearance lights on the back of my fiver. How much trouble is this? Did I hear correctly that the 3 lights in the middle are by regulation? Canada as well as U.S.?
Leaving in two weeks so I need to figure out what to do if this is true.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
13 REPLIES 13

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
63-Coupe wrote:
trcgolf wrote:
I still have 4 lights across top...one on each edge and two in the middle...

Read the chart in link from Old-Biscuit closely. It states that for clearance lights, (The ones in the top corners) you need a minimum of two, that would be one at each corner. For identification lights (The three lights in the middle) it states "EXACTLY" three are required.
It also says 6 to 12 inches apart. Are the two middle lights more than 12 inches apart? If so you may need the center, if not I wouldn't worry about it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Community Alumni
Not applicable
tonymull wrote:
You'll have to first run across a very bored or poor cop, and secondly it will just be a fix-it...and THEN you can fix it. Most likely no one will ever even notice. I've had two out for years and although they had plenty of opportunity, no cop ever said a word.

It depends where you are going. Here in Quebec, we have transport police (separate from provincial police) whose job is to just look for stuff like this.

... Eric

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't drive by a Donut shop at night.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have to first run across a very bored or poor cop, and secondly it will just be a fix-it...and THEN you can fix it. Most likely no one will ever even notice. I've had two out for years and although they had plenty of opportunity, no cop ever said a word.

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
4K-Ranch wrote:
Just tonight I received an "Order to Repair" from Highway Patrol here in AZ.
I bought my '97 F250 in 2001 and it came with running boards with 5 amber lights on each side added by the PO. The officer explained to me that more than 1 (one) light is illegal per side.

He did seem to be standing uncomfortably upright...:W

Check the repair order, what ARS number did he cite?

Never mind. ARS 28-940.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
trcgolf wrote:

Read the chart in link from Old-Biscuit closely. It states that for clearance lights, (The ones in the top corners) you need a minimum of two, that would be one at each corner. For identification lights (The three lights in the middle) it states "EXACTLY" three are required.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF it is a legal issue (I don't know), it wouldn't be that hard to move the camera down by drilling a hole below the running light and using the hole to feed the wiring from the camera to the running light wiring. I just installed a wireless camera and did it that way....but it included a rubber grommet that seals the hole, and I also applied sealent around it.

Check the laws for NY state...if it's OK in NY, I'd leave it alone. I doubt that you would have any issues when traveling.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easy fix...don't drive at night....:W:W.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

4K-Ranch
Explorer
Explorer
Just tonight I received an "Order to Repair" from Highway Patrol here in AZ.
I bought my '97 F250 in 2001 and it came with running boards with 5 amber lights on each side added by the PO. The officer explained to me that more than 1 (one) light is illegal per side.

He did seem to be standing uncomfortably upright...:W
Kim & Kay

1986 Class C Fleetwood Tioga Arrow
E350 Chassis, 460 Ford engine

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Lighting requirements. Click on the unit most closely matching your unit to see a detailed list of lights.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Canada & USA----3 RED identification lights are require on trailers over 80" wide (center rear near top 6" to 12" apart)

LINK Area 7
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
why didn't he put the light back, or a smaller light, after tapping into the power?

my guess is you'll be fine, but then again, you could run across a LEO with a stick shoved up where it doesn't belong, and end up with a doozie of a ticket.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed