Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Costs in Canada

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
There is another post in this section where FullTimeDaniel
said-----

As many have said virtually everything is unnecessarily expensive in Canada especially Gas-fuel, food and beer-wine.

I would avoid as much of Canada as Possible. Having said that I would head north through Alberta which has much cheaper fuel that BC. BC has a punitive Carbon Tax. Enter into Dawson Creek through Alberta.

It is really after Dawson Creek that the scenery gets better and better so you really wont miss too much.

And don't be fooled by the strength of the dollar. Even though the exchange is in our favor the costs will still be significantly higher than here in the US. This is why Canadians continue to flock to the Border Wal Marts and other stores despite their currency being worth-less.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just want to dispel the notion he leaves that everything is more expensive up here. Don't want anyone to miss coming up here thinking its too costly.
The main necessities like gas and alcohol are definitely higher. :W

Currently you will get about a hundred and thirty to thirty five bucks for a US $100.
Several years ago when was about $140 Can for US $100 I was in the "Beer Store" (Yup, that's where we buy beer here) and a group of fishermen from US came in. Fellow asked for a 24 pack of Canadian (A local favorite beer) and the gal said that will be $40 bucks please.
He swallowed hard and handed her a US $100 bill.
She handed him a Canadian $100 bill back.
Confused he said, "no maam, I still want the beer" trying to hand her back the 100 bill.
She smiled and said you get the beer AND the $100 bucks.
He was happy and then the beer didn't seem so expensive I guess.

Food at grocery stores in major centres is probably cheaper once you convert your dollar. I base this on what we currently are paying in Florida for groceries. Most things are about same price as at home but in a dollar that cost us extra .35 cents each so almost a third cheaper for US folks in Canada with US bucks.

Camping sites are about $25 to $40 nite in my area so probably cheaper than US.

Here is an extreme example..
I am considering replacing my motorcycle with the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin.
In the US it lists at $13299 which would be about $17800 converted to Can dollars
BUT in Canada it list for $14799 so its almost $3000 "cheaper" in Canada!

So don't fear high prices in Canada. I live in a tourist area and it is extremely busy in our short summer BECAUSE of the high US dollar mainly.
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL
28 REPLIES 28

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I snowbird in Florida. About the only thing that is cheaper is fuel. Currently it is 2.64 for a US gallon in US funds in Regina, SK. vs 2.09 at some stations in Florida.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Under another topic I posted this info a couple weeks ago. To say that food is more expensive in Canada isn't necessarily true.

Here are some examples looking at a US grocery flyer and a couple flyers here in Moncton NB. A campground, power rates and a fridge.

These don't even take the exchange rate into consideration.

Shaws Bangor ME Haddock $7.99lb US
Atlantic Superstore Moncton NB Haddock $4.99lb CA

Shaws Bangor ME Ground beef $3.99lb US
Sobeys Moncton NB Ground beef $2.99lb CA

Timberland RV Park Trenton ME Full Hookup $51 US
Marcopolo RV Park Cavendish PE $47.50 CA

Shaws Bangor ME 8 oz cashews $5.99 US
Giant Tiger Moncton NB 8 oz cashews $2.97 CA

Central Maine Power $.1309 KWH US
NB Power $.1059 KWH CA

Home Depot Whirlpool 33" 22 C/F Fridge $1539 US
Husons Bay Whirplool 33" 22 C/F Fridge $1599 CA

Also just to add about the "free health care". That does not include prescription drugs and only includes hospital beds in wards. Semi-private or private rooms cost $$$.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We drove to Alaska in 2012 and went to the Atlantic Provinces in 2013. The exchange rate was about even then and we did find groceries and fuel more expensive. Campground costs were close to the same. However even if we had to pay more it was well worth it. We enjoyed the sites and the Canadian people are wonderful. We met a woman from Manitoba in Peggy's Cove that said we need to come visit Riding Mountain National Park. This summer we are visiting Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Fuel prices are down from our previous visits, we have a favorable exchange rate, and the Canadians are not charging a fee this year to enter their National Parks since Canada is celebrating its 150 year birthday.
We are looking forward to having a great trip.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
A lot of great posts in this thread. And one thing that the poster in question definitely has wrong is that someone will not miss much by bypassing BC. Beautiful BC has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world in most every part of the province.

Oh well, we don't need someone with that attitude in BC anyway! :B

By the way we also enjoy many other parts of Canada and the US.

This is the absolute truth. We've been in every western and most central US states, including BC, Alberta, Yukon Territories and Alaska.
British Columbia has some of the most spectacular forests, rivers, lakes, waterfalls and coastline as anywhere in N America.
We're going back to Alaska this summer in convoy with friends, and we are trying to convince them to go up Cassier Highway.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of great posts in this thread. And one thing that the poster in question definitely has wrong is that someone will not miss much by bypassing BC. Beautiful BC has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world in most every part of the province.

Oh well, we don't need someone with that attitude in BC anyway! :B

By the way we also enjoy many other parts of Canada and the US.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If Fulltimediesel wants something to moan about maybe he should come to Bermuda where gas, premium only sold, is about $8 gal & typically about everything else is double the US average.

The good news is that there is now sales tax added at the checkout. Also good news is that max income tax is 14% no matter how high the salary goes. Oh & taxes on your capital gains? There are none.

Government is going to get it out of your hide one way or another. Every country is different.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Who gives a dam what it costs? If you want to go there, GO THERE. I've traveled many times in Canada and it's so worth it. SO worth it.

EXACTLY. We've travelled across Canada and some in the US (and lived there for two years long ago). Retiring soon and will be doing lots more in the US (and Canada too) because as you say, it is SO WORTH IT!
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Who gives a dam what it costs? If you want to go there, GO THERE. I've traveled many times in Canada and it's so worth it. SO worth it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We live in Canada but close to the US border. We are currently in South Carolina and in the summer months we cross back and forth a couple times a week to/from our upstate NY campsite.

What we have been finding is that other than fuel, most things are very comparable. In fact this winter down south there were several purchases that we put off until we get home because after the exchange rate was considered, some things were cheaper in a Canada.

An example was a television sound bar at Best Buy in Myrtle Beach was $40 cheaper on the sticker price than at home. However once the dollar exchange was considered, it would cost me about $30 more to buy in the US.

We eat out a lot, and found restaurants on par. Many grocery items are tagged with comparable pricing but once you add 30-35 percent on exchange, things are more expensive for our Canadian dollars.

I guess in the end everything sort of evens out and our lifestyles and purchasing power will yield about the same value.

The advantage is often to our US visitors who are spending US dollars in Canada overall the past couple of years.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have universal health care but it sure as heck isn't free. Here we pay $150 quarterly in health insurance premiums, the only province that charges it. The rest is paid by hard earned tax dollars and not everything is covered. There is no free lunch.
It is true fuel is more expensive, the unfavorable exchange rate makes it worse for us but such is life. We used to shop in Bellingham for the selection, a number of products we like (Tillamook cheese being one)are not available here. Some things like milk were quite a bit cheaper (U.S subsidies?) but there was little price advantage with meat and produce.
I beg to differ with his comment that there is nothing to see south of Dawson Creek. Wonder what he was expecting.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Health care is not free in Canada. It is paid for through a system of taxes, particularly taxes on booze and cigarettes. When Canadians travel to the USA, we buy expensive health care for your system, and enjoy your country. When Americans come to Canada, I hope you do the same.

If you want beautiful provincial parks, come to British Columbia. Your stay will cost you about $25 US per night for the best we have.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
A lot comes down to fuel costs if you are doing lots of travel. Canadian fuel costs are TYPICALLY higher due to taxes including the HST/GST (depends on the province). When we fly, I can find airports with wide ranging costs of fuel, almost always lower than canada (there are exceptions, try some airports in new york where the cost is almost double the equivalent cdn cost). however, on the ground i have ALWAYS found usa gas/diesel better value than canada

In general, i would consume fuel in the usa to travel the distance...

Other costs vary, but typically (depending on your location) the exchange rate follows day to day costs fairly closely. (large ticket items take a while to catch up on exchange rate)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been to Canada multiple times and overall I have found the costs to equalize over duration of the trip. One thing might be higher, but something else will be less expensive. I cannot imagine not having been to the places I've been because someone on the internet said "I would avoid as much of Canada as possible".
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)