cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting across south central Florida

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Myakka River S. P. (Near Sarasota) and heading to Titusville next week. All software takes us up i75 and via toll roads to the east coast. Has anyone driven east on SR72/70 instead? Looks like we could then pick up i95 northbound at Ft. Pierce. I don't care about the time so much, but would like to avoid traffic and toll roads. Anyone taken an RV on this route?
10 REPLIES 10

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
COW COUNTRY . If you see any cowboys do not call him a cowboy . The standard answer is " We are cattlemen , we send the BOYS to Texas !

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We've taken it a few times as we criss cross to do art shows...in a van/20 foot travel trailer combo...no problems and enjoyable compared
to the highways.
Donna

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
We did take 72/70. It was a good route and an easy drive. There was more in Arcadia than we expected, including the Walmart as mentioned and a truck stop on the east side of town. We passed a couple of other places that had diesel and filled up at one of the truck stops just before we got on I-95.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
The last time we went to Myakka, we thought we would try a little different route. Just before you get to Okeechobee, 721 runs north (left turn). We took it to US98 eastbound for a short distance, then left on CR68. Went across that(little bumpy ,not bad) to 441. North on 441 4 miles to CR68 again, then east to I-95. SR-70 is a pretty good way to go, but we wanted to avoid the traffic around Okeechobee. If you have the time, Kissimmee Prairie State Park is fairly close to the 98/68 intersection.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
use70/72 often. much better than I75. al c.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Take 72/70 by all means, much less traffic and more relaxing drive right through the heart of old Florida ranch and grove country some of that land looks like it did 100 years ago. Past Arcadi at the intersection of 70 and 27 there are a couple of truck stops that are very easy to get in and out of.

BTW Myakka is one of our favorite state parks.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for 72/70 to Ft. Pierce. Be on the lookout for crested caracaras as you're driving across, most likely to see them perched on fence posts.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horizons28 wrote:
We are in Myakka River S. P. (Near Sarasota) and heading to Titusville next week. All software takes us up i75 and via toll roads to the east coast. Has anyone driven east on SR72/70 instead? Looks like we could then pick up i95 northbound at Ft. Pierce. I don't care about the time so much, but would like to avoid traffic and toll roads. Anyone taken an RV on this route?

I've made the trip across SR72/70 several times in different RVs, and I've found it to be quicker and much more pleasant a drive than going on i75.

It's a good road, not much traffic, and you pass through some interesting small towns. Just be sure to fuel up at the Walmart in Arcadia before heading out.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
Florida DOT Highway and Road Conditions
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
70/72 is a good two lane road mostly flat as a pool table too. It should be fine for you to use. It takes you across Florida's cattle country.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper