cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dallas to Mobile

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
At first glance I20 to Jackson MS, then 49 and 98 into Mobile, seems to be a good route.

Are there some secondary roads with a good mix of scenery and quaint towns that we should consider (vs. all freeway/4-lane)?

We have two days to make the trip.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
padredw wrote:
That is our normal route also; sometimes we go on down on I49 to pickup I10.

Some alternate routes: US 80 (take exit to Elmo, TX past Terrell) if you are not in a hurry. We make just as good time, but goes through many small towns then through Longview and Marshall; past Marshall join I 20 just past Scottsville, TX)

Altogether different: take US 175 to Jacksonville, TX then US 69 to Rusk where you would pick up US 84 East to Hattisburg, MS where you would join US 98 on into Mobile. (There are several variations to this route but you would go through Farriday, LA and Natchez, MS worth a stop. Riverside RV a great stop on the Mississipi) I have towed on all these roads.

Not recommendations, just some observations.
Thank you, padredw! We may give these three options some consideration if weather, time and traffic permits.

What are your thoughts on taking I49 (exit 19), then Hwy 190 east to I10 (somewhere west of Baton Rouge) vs. going south to the I49/I10 junction?

Be aware there is construction on I-10 near Lafayette, LA ( close to I-10/I-49 junction).

Also, Baton Rouge is most of the time a major bottleneck coming from the west. Do not get there during rush hours.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
padredw wrote:

Some alternate routes: US 80 (take exit to Elmo, TX past Terrell) if you are not in a hurry. We make just as good time, but goes through many small towns then through Longview and Marshall; past Marshall join I 20 just past Scottsville, TX)

Altogether different: take US 175 to Jacksonville, TX then US 69 to Rusk where you would pick up US 84 East to Hattisburg, MS where you would join US 98 on into Mobile. (There are several variations to this route but you would go through Farriday, LA and Natchez, MS worth a stop. Riverside RV a great stop on the Mississipi) I have towed on all these roads.

Thank you, padredw! We may give these three options some consideration if weather, time and traffic permits.

What are your thoughts on taking I49 (exit 19), then Hwy 190 east to I10 (somewhere west of Baton Rouge) vs. going south to the I49/I10 junction?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Most of the time when we travel (unless time is of the essence) we enter our info in our GPS, checking the "avoid highways" box. We've had some great trips by doing this.
Agree! When we have plenty of travel time that's typically what we try to do, too.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
That's our normal route, lots of construction the last time thr in early November u but that may be over by now
Thanks! Would you happen to remember where the construction was located?

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
At first glance I20 to Jackson MS, then 49 and 98 into Mobile, seems to be a good route.

Are there some secondary roads with a good mix of scenery and quaint towns that we should consider (vs. all freeway/4-lane)?

We have two days to make the trip.

Thanks!

That's our normal route, lots of construction the last time thr in early November u but that may be over by now
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time when we travel (unless time is of the essence) we enter our info in our GPS, checking the "avoid highways" box. We've had some great trips by doing this.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress