cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dental Recommendations and Advice - Los Algodones

love4god
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are heading to Yuma next week (actually we're staying in Winterhaven because it was tough finding a non-55+ campground in Yuma). We'll be spending the month there and we need some serious dental work done. Roots canals, crowns, fillings, scaling. It's been a long time coming and we're finally going to get work done we've needed for years.

I have been reading a lot about Los Algodones and I feel pretty comfortable going there if I can find the right, recommended dentist. I'm doing some research but I was hoping some of you may be able to provide some recommendations either in this thread or in my private messaging.

Also, does anyone know of any sites that offer dentist reviews for Los Algodones?

Also, any advice on our treatment besides finding a highly recommended dentist? The plan is to pick two or three dentists after online investigate and then going down and doing some ReCon by visiting each one and finding out what treatment they think I need and how much it will cost. Then I'll schedule my work. Once I'm done we'll repeat with my wife with the same dentist if they do a good job.

She is VERY afraid of the dentist and I'm going to take the guinea pig role. She actually wants Sedation dentistry done to get it all done in one visit while she is alseep (no implants). It costs $600 which would be ok, I'm just worried about sedation down South. Anyone had this done in Los Algodones?

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

mllk3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the follow-up, I already knew that Dr Bernal was going to be closed for two weeks, he couldn't get my Mom in the week that we were there with my daughter, so we are returning on Jan 6th for a week. Keep us informed. Thanks

love4god
Explorer
Explorer
Finished my dental appointments. Just a quick synopsis....

Alamo - Very thorough and informative. Had an in-house periodontist look at some of my bone loss. They went through everything, all the x-rays (digital) and talked about each problem I had. Facilities were a little older looking, more like a clinic in the U.S. as opposed to a nice dental office. But everything seemed very clean, very professional, and everyone was informative and seemed competent. It seemed like going to a big group dental office. Lots of activity, lots of different dentists, a lot of in-house services. I was there 90 minutes, very thorough exam and a ton of x-rays, no charge.

Bernal - I liked them but ended up cancelling my appointment. They're gone for two week starting on Monday and I really wanted to get started on my treatment and get going. I can't wait two full weeks (three counting this week) to get started.

Marichi & Olmeda - I visited with Dr. Almeda. Super nice lady, very kind and everyone in the office was extremely nice. The dental area was very cramped, three people in same room separated by some half walls. x-rays were not digital and she took 4 of them. We discussed treatment I didn't really agree with her course of action. No discussion of bone loss or gum disease I have, they wanted to grind down a bunch of teeth to run what I thought was an unnecessary bridge more for aesthetic reasons. She seemed competent and professional and I liked her personally but I think her focus was more on how my mouth looked and I am way more concerned with fixing some more important health issues right now. She was by far the most expensive but that's because she was recommending much more restorative care (which i need to wait for) including a couple of implants. It just wasn't a great fit for me. Charged me $80 for the x-rays, a bit steep but they let me keep them. I should have asked first how much it was. Also tried to sell me an anti-bacterial wash but I declined.

Dr. Urena - Beautiful office and facilities. When you walk in you feel like you're in a dentist office in the states. Great communication, the doctor and the receptionist speak great English. She did an initial exame but was unable to give me a full evaluation because I didn't want a cleaning that day. She told me some of the things I needed but said I needed cleaning to get accurate x-rays because of extensive plaque build up. I believe her, I just wasn't ready. I was very impressed with doctor Urena and I regret not just getting the cleaning done and getting a full evaluation. Alamo told me not to do anything until I took antibiotics for a few days because of the problems in a bad spot in my gum they need to clean up so I was reluctant to start the process. They charged me $20 for the exam but said if I go forward with treatment it will go towards my bill, very fair.. Dr. Urena was a bit cheaper than Alamo, maybe 10-15 percent.

I have an appointment to go back and start at Alamo but I'm really considering trying Dr. Urena again before I commit to Alamo. I think Dr. Urena outsources root canals, I think I read that somewhere, but I'm not certain. I will need to read some more. I dont' think I need one but my wife probably needs 2.

One of our issues is my wife's EXTREME fear of the dentist (not Mexico, any dentist). I spoke to Alamo and they said they would knock her out (for an extra charge) during her work. Dr Urena was more reluctant and thought that was a bit extreme and would like to speak to my wife about it personally. I think she may be able to reassure my wife. We're also going to a different dentist at Alamo on Friday, a Dr. Monica, who is supposed to be very experienced with high-anxiety patients.

We'll see. A few decisions to make but so far so good.

mllk3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Please let me know how it went. Thanks

mllk3rd
Explorer
Explorer
They will charge for xrays and I don't know if you will be able to take them with you, we didn't get them back from Dr Arturo. I think that the exams may be no charge. Hope all goes well for you.

love4god
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 appointments today and tomorrow.

Alamo Dental
Bernal Dental
Dr Eva Urena
Drs Arturo Marichi & Maria Olemeda

Initial examinations. Do I normally pay for x-ray at these appointments? If so can I pay at once place and bring them with me?

cmsm
Explorer
Explorer
We have had excellent work done by Dr. Maria Fonseca. She was recommended by friends who have been seeing her for 10 years.
DH is very difficult to freeze & consequently has had some bad dental experiences. Dr. Maria is very good at getting the novocaine in the correct spot. DH has had 11 crowns - 2 done by his Canadian dentist & the rest by Dr. Maria. He says she is the gentlest dentist he has ever had.
A friend of ours (retired dental assistant) said it was the best cleaning she has had in 30 years.
Her email is dental_fonseca@hotmail.com
USA phone number 928-271-4897

mllk3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Trip Advisor has a Los Algogones Travel Form.

wheelingit.wordpress.com/2013...g-myths-facts/

http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2013...es-experience/

mllk3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from Los Algodones for my daughter, root canal and crown and will be going back in January for my Mom, mini implants, lower dentures and upper particle. We have friends that have a large lot in Yuma so our MH is still there.
Our Daughter went to Dr Arturo Marichi/Dra Maria Olmeda, I have their info if you would like. Our friends have had lots of work done from Arturo and they have friends that have been going to him for years. He did a great good, my Daughter would defiantly do it again. Nice office, spoke to other patents that have been going to him for over 5 years.
For my Mom we are going to go to Dr Bernal, Arturo doesn't do the mini implants, I've done lots of research and have a 30 pg journal from a patent of his. I want to his office when we were down and it was very nice, other patents there had positive reviews. PM me with your email if you want a copy of the journal.

love4god
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
I used Bernal Dental Group for a bridge and several fillings. They get most of their patents by referral and do not use the usual shills on the street to send patients their way. I saw Dr Castanedo and was pleased with the work done.

I've read a couple of good reviews for Bernal, they are on my list.

love4god
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
3 tooth crown, 2 root canals, extraction. I guess you can call that "serious" work....:)

Thanks Texan, that's about what I need done, although it's 3 root canals and 2 extractions ๐Ÿ˜ž

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea what the name of the dentist is but a friend of mine goes to one that is across the street from "The Mine". the mine is a jewelry store and they serve free drinks while you shop. so when you are having your teeth done, your DW can get some rings and a few drinks to boot.

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used Bernal Dental Group for a bridge and several fillings. They get most of their patents by referral and do not use the usual shills on the street to send patients their way. I saw Dr Castanedo and was pleased with the work done.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Linda_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Check out these blog posts. Pretty good recommendations. It's a two parter.

http://www.wheelingit.us/?s=mexico

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
3 tooth crown, 2 root canals, extraction. I guess you can call that "serious" work....:)

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today