cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denver to San Antonio

Rich_Grossmann
Explorer
Explorer
Hello -- planning a trip from Denver to San Antonio at the end of Feb/first of March. Any suggestions of which route to take? Google Map gives different recommendations than does Good Sam. Plan on making the trip in 2-3 days and have concerns with possible sudden weather changes, etc. RV campgrounds not a must, Walmart works if campground not nearby. Thank you in advance. Rich
6 REPLIES 6

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
We live just outside SA & we come to CO a lot. Our route is I25 South to Raton, NM. There take US 87 to Dumas, TX. There, just as you get to town just over the RR tracks is a free (donation) city park. If you get there early enough & we've never had a problem, you can get an electric hookup. There is water available at the park too & a dump. Some don't appreciate the trains throughout the night but it's a good stopover for a night. From Dumas head south staying on 87. It will be 87/287 now. You will go thru Amarillo & Lubbock. Dumas to SA is over 500 miles so likely you'll want another stopover. San Angelo SP is good, accessible on the north side of town. That's a pretty good halfway almost for another night. Two WM's in town to get gas before you complete your trip. US 87 will take you to Junction where you get on I10 & head into SA.

I agree with the others too who said do Willow City loop. Another favorite of ours in that area is Inks Lake SP.

ENJOY!
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Denver I 70 E Limon, CO 287 south/east Childress,TX 83 south Junction, TX I 10 east to SA.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Just a hint, drive the Willow City Loop out of Fredericksburg--no rig--if the bluebonnets are out--it should be great. The loop is a narrow country road. Also go to the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg--plan on a day or more for that great museum. Have a great trip!

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
US 87
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
through the Texas Hill Country. Be sure to stop in Fredericksburg.

Yes, just what I was thinking. You may be very lucky: the bluebonnet season is starting early and should be good at the time of your trip.

DON'T MISS IT!

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to go to San Antonio through the Texas Hill Country. Be sure to stop in Fredericksburg.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society