cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Detroit to Hamilton Ontario

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
Southern route on Canadian 401 or northern route on US I-94 into Canada on Canadian 402? Our GPS shows both routes as being about equal in miles. My question is if one route is preferred for a 34' motor home over the other?
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.
5 REPLIES 5

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
There is about 25 km. of single lane with reduced speed due to construction and an additional 10 km. of reduced speed on the 401 between Windsor and London. Cross at Port Huron/Sarnia and take the 402 route.

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information guys. I appreciate it.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As DW has family in Canada, we do the crossings pretty often.
In Simple Terms, Avoid Detroit. We have never had any delay or difficulty in Port Huron. Sarnia and Windsor are always just a breeze.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We live near Hamilton. We use both crossings but as stated above, it depends where in Michigan you are. The Ambassador Bridge is an easy crossing.
We always avoid the tunnel crossing. Both crossings are well marked and will put you on either the 401 or 402. You will not have any problem with your length. Both crossings are used heavily by billions of transport trucks every day.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
If you are coming from north of the city of Detroit, I'd take the 402 out of Sarnia east to the 401. Less traffic than going down into Detroit to take the Ambassador Bridge or tunnel into Windsor and then to the 401. In Sarnia, you are immediately on the 402 right after you leave Canadian customs heading east.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy