cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the CanAm/US-52 Highway have a lot of traffic?

Brassica
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to vacation at Banff and Jasper and the prairie provinces for three months this summer. We are driving from Ohio. Is that CanAm/US-52 route a good choice?

We are towing a 21 foot travel trailer. I want to drive slowly. I really don't favor a route with a lot of traffic volume because people will be passing us all day and that adds to the stress. Google gives me CanAm (Jamestown, Minot, Portal, and Weyburn) in the autorouter function, but it looks like it funnels a lot of traffic to Regina, Saskatoon, and Alberta generally. It would be countryside I have never seen, so that interests us. We could stop at the museum in Moosejaw or some birding locations on the way.

I saw some of the other threads that gasoline is cheaper in the US so it makes a case to go further west on I-94. My wife and I are still contending whether we take the ambling small highways or four lane highways. I think the four lanes are safer and less stressful and those are my preference.

Thanks for your advice.
4 REPLIES 4

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak about US 52 but a few years back we drove pulling my 30ft 5th Wheel from Sask, down to Spearfish and then onto Deadwood.
Ok going backwards from the USA north we traveled:
started at Spearfish at I-90 headed north on 85 all the way to the Sask ( Canadain) Boader, then north on Sask 35 to Wayburn, then took Hwy 39 to Mooejaw.
There was hardly any traffic and we had a nice peaceful drive.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Brassica
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Pipeman! We have driven US-2 twice when not towing. We will be passed a few times . Route 2 is busy.

Ultimately, we will camp at Cypress Hills IP and maybe Grasslands NP . We might drive I-90 across ND and pick up US-2 at Wolf Point, MT.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Take #2 hwy across the top of the US. In some spots the speed limit is 60. In Montana it used to be,"whatever you think is safe and prudent" but now it's 70 during the daylight hours, if I can remember correctly. I do the speed limit up to 60 or so but there are a lot slower people and the faster ones pass you. You can see for a long ways. In some places #2 is 4 lane. There is no problem for gas/diesel stations along the way.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't want to drive at or over posted highway speeds stay off the interstates especially near major centers. We prefer the secondary highways, we see the smaller towns and have a chance to pull off and enjoy the scenery. Our gas is expensive, it's only going to get worse with the Ft McMurray production facilities shutting down due to the fire, so you might want to stay in the U.S. as long as possible if that is a concern.