cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive time Penzoil 400 Las Vegas

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for an idea of how much time to allow to drive, via the 15 freeway from say the central area of Las Vegas to the Las Vegas Speedway on Sunday the day of the Penzoil 400 Stock Car Race. I've driven it several times on normal days, and I'd say it typically takes 25 minutes or so. I know the traffic will be worse the day of the race, so just looking for how much time to allow. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/motor-sports/nascar/las-vegas-nascar-weekend-traffic-should-be-getting-smoother-1605401/

You may not be able to read article but give it a try. Was in this AM edition of Sin City Review Journal

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
Race weekend temps forecast to be high 60's/high 40's Mar 1-3 with 30% chance of rain on Sunday. I will bring a clear poncho. Sorry, don't know how to post a link but the answers came after a couple of key strokes in the search box.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
G7ARYM wrote:

There is much to do and see with the circus that accompanies the cup race.

For those who don't know, it is not a "real" circus. :B
And it is pretty much the same from week to week.

What is the departure time for that shuttle.....compared to the start time for the race ? Posting a link would have been real nice.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Wonder how the freeway will be once the Raiders stadium opens for a game.

Its going to be a mess, with the race track on the far north end of town and now the new stadium on the south end of town I-15 will be even worse than it is now..

I moved to Vegas when it only had 600,000 people now we have 2 million and 44 million visitors a year, the traffic here down right stinks and just keeps getting worse by the month now..

I want my old Vegas back and the $1.49 cents all you can eat breakfast buffets..

:C

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
All bets are off it snowing!

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
Here is your option to fighting the traffic yourself.
• Sunday-only shuttle passes are available for purchase online for $119. PICK-UP LOCATIONS:
• Main Street Station, Treasure Island, Tropicana, Planet Hollywood, Stratosphere.
There is much to do and see with the circus that accompanies the cup race. Return shuttle leaves 1 hour after the checker flag flies. Relax and enjoy.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
G7ARYM wrote:
They have a back way in and avoid the worst of it while you relax and watch all of the people who didn’t follow your lead.

This is an excellent option which I have used a few times myself.
But is has some drawbacks too.

Sometimes they sell ONLY packages that include hotel; that can be kind of expensive if you don't need the room.

Then, part of the reason that they don't encounter the worst of the traffic is that they arrive at the track about THREE HOURS before the race starts. Since most tracks don't have very many places to sit that is out of the sun, that can be kind of hard on you too. The only way around that is to stay on the bus for two hours.

Worth considering though.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
Life is too short to spend hours of aggravation in the pursuit of a few hours of watching a NASCAR race. After doing this since the 60’s I pay others to do it. Do not drive yourself! Bite the bullet and pay for one of the many nonstop luxury shuttles which leave from a number of Strip hotels. They have a back way in and avoid the worst of it while you relax and watch all of the people who didn’t follow your lead.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder how the freeway will be once the Raiders stadium opens for a game.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Its a big long wait parking lot on I-15 when the big race is in town, as a local I see this on the news every year, leave early that is all I can say, I have never done the big races here cause I cant stand the hours long wait to park..

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Sam, upon further review it is as bad as described.

That is not a "review" but a bunch of speculation and assumptions.

I paid for a ticket to the duals. Both of them were on one ticket.
My butt was not in the seat for the second one because it is still February and it was COLD after the sun went down.

I had on almost all of the clothes I brought.....3 layers.....and still was cold.

Sometimes attendance is low because of factors specific to that date in time.

Ticket SALES are WAY more important than attendance.

I have paid for tickets to Atlanta next week too.
I have pretty much decided not to attend at all because it will be even colder there. That has nothing to do with long term trends.......except to point out stupid things they have done.....like start the schedule a week earlier this year.
Sometimes you are your own worst enemy.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
With the attendance numbers / amount of empty seats NASCAR has been showing for the last 5 years, it might only take 15 minutes for the normal 25 minute drive LOL.

It's not as bad as the "news" reports make it sound.

BUT......the "management" bends over backwards to please the TV broadcasters and then complain when on-site attendance is down....AND complain that the TV audience is down too....when the broadcast is on a "cable" channel.

Part of the problem is that about half of the "local tracks" have disappeared over the past 30 years or so.
THAT is where the initial interest in stock car racing is generated.

Oh yes it is.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
supercub, check for construction on I-15 which sure could affect time. I sometimes use Nellis Blvd. also.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam, upon further review it is as bad as described. Vegas just added a second race last year, the speedway just removed more seats. So now with two races per year, they won't even get the attendance for two races that they used to get for one. Not only a Sin City problem but last night during the Duals from Daytona and lack of butts in the seats, they were pushing tickets for Sunday. Just look at the lack of sponsors as they watch the crowd size and TV viewership also.