cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First long trip

Pam_s_Dennis
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning to get away from the Florida heat in August and spend a couple of weeks at Straits State Park in Michigan to explore the upper peninsula of Michigan. This is our first trip out of the southeast and GS seems to route us around the west side of the lake through Wisconsin, coming into Straits State Park from the north. It would seem to be more direct strait up through Michigan. Our trip begins in Pensacola, Fl. Any info is appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

longdrive
Explorer
Explorer
Living between Chicago and Milwaukee - I agree. You don't want to go thru Chicago. Most of the drive in Wis is boring until you get near Greenbay. Its called Door County (called The Cape Cod) of the mid west. Boring from there north.
Have fun. I will be hitting Destin for a few days in July

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if the state parks in W MI are full, there are a ton of private parks available all the way up the coast. You will enjoy going that way.

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on what type of rig you have I would recommend going up the west side of Michigan (east shoreline of Lake Michigan) if you can make stops with limited difficulty. Ther's a ton to see and experience. While the Upper Peninsula trip would be very scenic and enjoyable, it would be way out of your way and add too much time to your OA trip. Save it for another time.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Going on the west side of Lake Michigan is waaay out of your way. Plus that would take you through/around Chicago, not to mention Milwaukee. Lots and lots of traffic. Plus that side of the lake isn't very scenic at all (at least until you get to Michigan's Upper Peninsula).

I would highly suggest taking the west side of Michigan (or the east side of Lake Michigan). Michigan's western shore is beautiful. The state parks can be difficult to get into without a reservation during the summer, but you can't beat the dunes, the many, many fruit & veggie farms, and overall beauty. Plus the northern end includes Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore (named the "Most beautiful place in the U.S. by NBC's Today Show a few years ago). Traverse City is also nice and the state park there is very large.

We haul our 5th wheel from SW Michigan to FL for the winters and based upon your starting point in FL, take I-65 north all the way to Indianapolis. A good route north of Indy is US31 through Kokomo and eventually around South Bend, IN. That road will take you north along the lakeshore (hooking up to I-196). There's a nice state park just south of South Haven, MI (Van Buren SP). We've stayed there many times (nice beach). Try to visit Saugatuck, MI just north of South Haven and just south of Holland, MI (also nice state park). Follow the lakeshore north from there via US31 (I-196 splits at Holland toward Grand Rapids). It's basically interstate type driving all the way to Ludington, MI where you'll end up on a nice 2-lane all the way to Traverse City via US31. In fact, you can take US31 almost all the way to Mackinaw City on US31. It will take you through some very nice small towns (Charlevoix & Petoskey).

If you prefer to get to the Mackinac area faster just take I-69 north from Indianapolis through Lansing, MI. From there you will take US127 which will hook up to I-75 near Grayling, MI. From there it's about 1.5 hours to the bridge.

Enjoy Michigan!!! We do.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
I have to say going up I-75 north there is allot to see, tons of lakes and parks, of course the bridge going across from the lower to the upper part of Michigan is always a thrill and Mackinaw Island is a must, it's like stepping back in time and now cars just horse an buggy's

But as well you have a number of cities like Detroit to thought, last year they were repaving large parts of I-75 in Ohio between Daytona an Toledo

Safe Travels

Pam_s_Dennis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Thom02099, I want to keep the lovely wife happy. She tends to want to go to the barn after about 10 days so perhaps the west side of the lake and a more interesting trip with stops along the way will be better than the quick, tiring, point A to point B trip. Hmmm. I'm going to give it another look. Maybe 5 or 6 days there would be better than 3 or 4. Of course, once on the road for home it's usually a race to the barn with no complaints.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google maps has your route primarily I-65 and I-69, to I-75 in Michiagan. That would be the most logical if you just want to get from point A to point B with minimum fuss. Having driven most of that route at some point in time, will will certainly accomplish that -- point A to B. If you're looking for diversity and sightseeing along the way, there's certainly alternatives, including going around the WEST side of Lake Michigan through Wisconsin and across the UP.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.