cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flint to Traverse City, Michigan

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
We're headed to Traverse City in a couple of weeks - staying at Lake Leelanau RV Park. The directions on their website give a choice from Flint (actually Detroit) to Traverse City and I am wondering if one route is better than the other.

Option 1 is I-75 north to M72 and follow M72 into Traverse City.

Option 2 is I75 north to US10 west to M115 to M37 into Traverse City.

I prefer to drive the interstates to get to our destination. We still work and have limited vacation time so I usually pick the quickest route. In this case, the time is the same and so is the distance. It looks like option 2 cuts through Manistee National Forest which could be a tight drive. I haven't been on the west coast of the upper peninsula so I am not familiar with these roads.

Thanks for any advice!
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK
8 REPLIES 8

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again!

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Construction help:

MDOT Drive
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Zilwaukee bridge is open NB on Friday and Saturday and SB on Sunday...alternate route is 675

Option #2 gets you into Traverse City and you avoid most of the driving through TC...beautiful wine country in the Leelanau peninsula

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice - I will take 75 to 72. We are travelling there on Saturday July 26 so we will be in the southbound lanes heading northbound through the Zilwaukee Bridge. My apologies for the upper vs. lower peninsula.

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
75 to 72 is by far the quickest route. Depending on what day you leave you might get re routed around the zilwaukee bridge. There is also some construction around the Standish/Sterling area but it isn't to bad.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
There are no "tight" drives either way. Take whichever you feel like.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Not a tight squeeze, but I'd take 75 to 72. By the way, the town of tc is lower peninsula.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
No problem either way but 75 to 72 is the fastest less two lane roads.
al